ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Pearsall Penn Wrestling Tweet?

IRONBIRD

HR MVP
Dec 2, 2010
Said " Really exciting news for @ PennWrestling as we agreed to a two year home and home agreement with @Hawks_Wrestling"

Someone reposted on FB, did not see any further info? Not sure what this means? Are the Hawks traveling to Penn next two years for a dual? Would be closer to me so I might wanna make the trip.

Do not have Twitter, guess I should sign up.

Said " Really exciting news for @ PennWrestling as we agreed to a two year home and home agreement with @Hawks_Wrestling"

Someone reposted on FB, did not see any further info? Not sure what this means? Are the Hawks traveling to Penn next two years for a dual? Would be closer to me so I might wanna make the trip.

Do not have Twitter, guess I should sign up.
They come to Iowa one year and we go there one year.

Roger Reina doing an outstanding job reinvigorating the Penn program. The match will never be in doubt but there will be some good wrestling going on. Plus a little southeastern Pennsylvania exposure for the Hawkeyes will never hurt recruiting efforts. District one gets a stud from time to time and Malvern’s right around the corner.

Ugh …. Sacred Heart on the other hand is routinely routed by lesser EIWA program. Yeech
Yea this one would be a little more confusing to me? Maybe to get more exposure in the North East and all, but that school is in CT, which is not exactly a power house state as is New England in general. Still brings the HAWKS up my way which I am all for!

Reactions: grapplefann
Guys, there is more to it than just helping Iowa wrestling. Iowa wrestling Sacred Heart helps that program immensely, as well as DI wrestling as a whole.

Think of it as an easy tune-up while trying to keep 1/77 of all of DI in good standing. With so few programs in DI, I like a couple of moves like this every year.

I can think of 25 D-1 programs that Iowa could “help” that are more interesting a matchup than Sacred Heart. Penn on the other hand should be fun.
Again, generating the most entertaining matches for just Hawkeye fans is NOT the point. Preserving DI wrestling is, while als getting some Hawkeye exposure into less familiar areas.

I get that Connecticut isn’t a hot bed, but it also isn’t an area where Iowa has really drawn from in how long? Snyder was from out that way. Imagine what having him go to Iowa could have possibly done for the program…

As some have pointed out. Maybe early season "tune-up" matches. Rest any starters who would benefit from a day off. Give some back-ups a start. Hit a new area and put out a lot of feelers looking for a diamond in the ruff. Keep building your brand while also helping out some smaller programs. I guess these could all be considered good reasons. Would like to see them make it a Quad meet maybe. Have 2 teams square off and winners/losers cross over for a second dual.

Bring 20 guys and let everyone get a match. Doing a Friday match and then a Sat or Sun match in the same general area would also be good option maybe? Again bringing as many Wrestlers as possible, wrestle those extra matches too which I think is great for the sport!

They should do a triangular or a at least a double dual with SH and someone else.. Maybe with travel they don't want to bring everyone, but from a competitive standpoint they should be able to split squads easily and still win.

Is there a limit to competition dates? Or number of competitions? Iowa HS is stupidly low for basketball and maybe baseball still, IIRC. I assume it similar for Wrestling, but not sure what the NCAA rule is.

They should do a triangular or a at least a double dual with SH and someone else.. Maybe with travel they don't want to bring everyone, but from a competitive standpoint they should be able to split squads easily and still win.

Is there a limit to competition dates? Or number of competitions? Iowa HS is stupidly low for basketball and maybe baseball still, IIRC. I assume it similar for Wrestling, but not sure what the NCAA rule is.
There are competition limits, not sure what they are.

I like the move. While it doesn't benefit the powerhouse schools it helps the smaller programs. I think it helps with recruiting as well. It also helps build fan base outside of Iowa.

Reactions: el dub
The SH dual is in Albany NY according to the tweet. It would not surprise me to see some of the woman go to get some matches in against the SH’s women.
The women will be in redshirt and have to pay their own way to any competition I believe. One of of the recruits said this in a Cody Goodwin interview.

There are competition limits, not sure what they are.
either 15 or 16 competition dates I think

The women will be in redshirt and have to pay their own way to any competition I believe. One of of the recruits said this in a Cody Goodwin interview.

either 15 or 16 competition dates I think
Correct, the women will be wrestling unattached next season.

ADVERTISEMENT