ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches and COVID-19 [UPDATE 9/19: FSU head coach diagnosed]

Nope. They are wearing face masks (protects others) and trying to have some distancing. At least they are trying.

Was everyone wearing a mask including the police? Were all masks N95 and did everyone have a face shield?

I'm sure people will be infected as a result of these protests

Absolutely agree - that’s the point. The strong stance against all of society and businesses does not apply to this. So what was the point of doing anything in the first place.

Absolutely agree - that’s the point. The strong stance against all of society and businesses does not apply to this. So what was the point of doing anything in the first place.
Just because the social distancing enforcement is inconsistent doesn't mean the virus isn't something to take seriously.

Just because the social distancing enforcement is inconsistent doesn't mean the virus isn't something to take seriously.

i can’t support the seriousness of something when it’s not consistently enforced often by the same individuals. The virus was so deadly that we shut the entire country down doing irreparable harm to the economy and causing 40 million to be unemployed. Now some of the leaders with the strongest narrative and unyielding policy suddenly fully support protesting which by its nature is performed in the exact ways they were so adamant against in any other form or reason.

Actions speak louder than words.

Reactions: Wadukester
i can’t support the seriousness of something when it’s not consistently enforced often by the same individuals. The virus was so deadly that we shut the entire country down doing irreparable harm to the economy and causing 40 million to be unemployed. Now some of the leaders with the strongest narrative and unyielding policy suddenly fully support protesting which by its nature is performed in the exact ways they were so adamant against in any other form or reason.

Actions speak louder than words.
What leaders are fully supporting the protests?

The virus doesn't care what we think, it's still there and no doubt spread at all of these protests. Probably the worst thing to happen right now.

What leaders are fully supporting the protests?

The virus doesn't care what we think, it's still there and no doubt spread at all of these protests. Probably the worst thing to happen right now.

Here’s Cuomo for starters from worst hit NYC. How strict was he during this pandemic?

Cuomo said they expected more protests Sunday night. As several cities in the state enacted curfews on Saturday, Cuomo said there would be no statewide curfew in effect.

Here’s Cuomo for starters from worst hit NYC. How strict was he during this pandemic?

Cuomo said they expected more protests Sunday night. As several cities in the state enacted curfews on Saturday, Cuomo said there would be no statewide curfew in effect.
Do you really think that a curfew would stop these protests?

Cuomo is the governor, you really should be upset with Bill de Blasio for NYC. And I don't see this as "fully supporting protesting". Would you support a statewide curfew?

As a 66 year old coach who will be coaching HS baseball next week, thanks for bringing this up. The scary thing is, your working with players who think they are invincible and could be carrying the Virus yet completely a symptomatic.... I wii wear a mask and be very careful but it’s scary. At least at a D1 level they can get tested on a regular basis.Catching it early is critical

My dad is 65 and has been a long time face as a high School baseball coach. Over the course of the last year he has been hit with health issues. They were severe enough that forced his hand towards retirement.

I feel bad for him having to go out on terms outside his own but he’s had a hell of a run.

Best of luck to you this year. Both on the field and health wise.

Do you really think that a curfew would stop these protests?

No, absolutely not but is that point here? No it’s not. Many leaders at all levels and media have been telling us for the past 3 months how dire this virus is, shut down our economy leading to 40 million unemployed and threatened arrest and fines for violators. They took away school, sports and activities for children among many things. You were not allowed to swim in the ocean at one point! A week later large protests are fine - no public condemnation from some of the most hard-line COVID leaders about this activity! None, unless there’s violence or looting of course.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7ny...new-york-no-swimming-at-coney-island/6206187/

This was just last week:

CONEY ISLAND, Brooklyn (WABC) -- Some beaches in New York City will be open this holiday weekend, but there are major restrictions in place to encourage social distancing.

Coney Island and other city beaches are not allowing swimming.

There is no gatherings allowed and sports on the beaches as the Parks Department will be on hand to enforce it, backed up by the NYPD and beach patrol units.

The mayor knows that keeping beaches closed -- at least for swimming - is an unpopular opinion, nevertheless, that's what he is sticking to.

No. The point is that older coaches might be more hesitant about continuing.

I get that completely. Everyone should weigh their own situation and make the best decision for him/her. That’s the case for every risk in daily life.

I’m fascinated by the actions and decision making of leaders and media when factored against real data. It’s mind boggling we can’t allow swimming in the ocean but do nothing to discourage large scale protests.

I get that completely. Everyone should weigh their own situation and make the best decision for him/her. That’s the case for every risk in daily life.

I’m fascinated by the actions and decision making of leaders and media when factored against real data. It’s mind boggling we can’t allow swimming in the ocean but do nothing to discourage large scale protests.
You do realize that Minneapolis/St Paul is under curfew and has been the last 2 nights, right?

So 20,000 per year. Yet for covid deaths we are already over 100,000 in just a few months. Now take that over an entire year. Now consider how many more it would be if we didn’t shut down. Number starts to get pretty big.

Also, those flu death numbers are not true. Flu and pneumonia deaths get grouped into one category and that is what everyone quotes for flu deaths. But actually, the vast majority of those 20,000 deaths are due to bacterial pneumonia, not the flu. Very few people die from influenza by itself, unlike with COVID
And every death right now is being labeled covid. It’s a fraud being perpetrated on America.

Somewhat back on point, Chad Leistikow's column about Barta's press conference didn't talk about coaches, but did include a 1918 game day photo of fans wearing masks in the stands. As far as I can tell, the only person without a mask is the vendor, and one man has his mask down presumably to drink from the bottle of soda in his hand. (I've been out of Iowa long enough to no longer call it pop.) To everyone's relief, I'm sure, Barta didn't think fedoras would be required in 2020. Masks, however, just might be.

Reactions: BBHawk
Somewhat back on point, Chad Leistikow's column about Barta's press conference didn't talk about coaches, but did include a 1918 game day photo of fans wearing masks in the stands. As far as I can tell, the only person without a mask is the vendor, and one man has his mask down presumably to drink from the bottle of soda in his hand. (I've been out of Iowa long enough to no longer call it pop.) To everyone's relief, I'm sure, Barta didn't think fedoras would be required in 2020. Masks, however, just might be.
A stadium with all fans wearing fedoras would kick ass! I have mine (Panama version!) just in case.
;)

Anyone working in the health care field can attest how wrong this statement is.

I did read that 48% of deaths were related to nursing homes. That isn't people going out. That is in walking in to the weakest of persons.

According to the IDPH site, just over 47% of Iowa's deaths are from long term care facilities.

Last edited:
This thread discussion got hijacked for a bit, but the topic is still pertinent. Florida State head coach Mike Norvell has just been diagnosed with COVID-19. Given the current state of knowledge about the virus, I'm more concerned about Kirk and the more senior members of staff than the players.

This thread discussion got hijacked for a bit, but the topic is still pertinent. Florida State head coach Mike Norvell has just been diagnosed with COVID-19. Given the current state of knowledge about the virus, I'm more concerned about Kirk and the more senior members of staff than the players.

There is not zero risk for the coaches, but Kirk is in excellent health for his age. Yes, the coaches would definitely be more at risk than players. The good news is they can actually stay more distanced than the players as they don't have to tackle people.

I doubt if even most of the morons on here would be foolish enough to try to advise people on how to treat cancer or a brain tumor, but just about everybody considers themselves an expert on how to handle a new virus that medical experts with decades of experience do not understand.

The ignorance and idiocy consistently displayed on this board and in this country the last few years is mind boggling. Y'all should stop wasting your time on here and apply for jobs at your nearest hospital. I'm confident the folks there would be impressed with your credentials. For all I know, you may have even stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

In the meantime, enjoy watching your young gladiators out there putting on a show for ya in the midst of a pandemic.

BTW: The USA has 4% of the world's population but 25% of its COVID-19 cases. I wonder why that is? You geniuses have any more conspiracy theories you'd like to share? Here's a thought: it's because Fuhrer Trump lied about the dangers for months and has been totally inept as he continues to lie while counting on you to make him emperor for life. (Oh, and you did notice where the Great One said "football is boring," right?)

I doubt if even most of the morons on here would be foolish enough to try to advise people on how to treat cancer or a brain tumor, but just about everybody considers themselves an expert on how to handle a new virus that medical experts with decades of experience do not understand.

The ignorance and idiocy consistently displayed on this board and in this country the last few years is mind boggling. Y'all should stop wasting your time on here and apply for jobs at your nearest hospital. I'm confident the folks there would be impressed with your credentials. For all I know, you may have even stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

In the meantime, enjoy watching your young gladiators out there putting on a show for ya in the midst of a pandemic.

BTW: The USA has 4% of the world's population but 25% of its COVID-19 cases. I wonder why that is? You geniuses have any more conspiracy theories you'd like to share? Here's a thought: it's because Fuhrer Trump lied about the dangers for months and has been totally inept as he continues to lie while counting on you to make him emperor for life. (Oh, and you did notice where the Great One said "football is boring," right?)
Give it up dude. The reason we have the most cases is we are testing way more per capita than any other country. Other countries are not testing asymptomatic healthy people.

Give it up dude. The reason we have the most cases is we are testing way more per capita than any other country. Other countries are not testing asymptomatic healthy people.
And testing with an absurd ct level of 40+ in many cases. The numbers, both death, and active counts, are bogus in how they are being used - fully weaponized to incite maximum hysteria.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
How's that? Please do tell.

We won't ever know for sure until an audit is done of all the deaths with COVID. But depending on the state, if a person tests either anytime in the past 30 or 60 days for COVID, they are counted as a death with COVID. If that person died "with COVID" from a PCR test that only returned a positive after a ct+ level of 40, then there is no way that COVID had anything to do with their death. The story in the NY Times from a few weeks back estimated that anywhere from 50-90% of the positive COVID tests are meaningless with the PCR testing being used.

As a 66 year old coach who will be coaching HS baseball next week, thanks for bringing this up. The scary thing is, your working with players who think they are invincible and could be carrying the Virus yet completely a symptomatic.... I wii wear a mask and be very careful but it’s scary. At least at a D1 level they can get tested on a regular basis.Catching it early is critical
Keep in mind that unless you are wearing a n95 mask or better, the masks are really to protect others from you more than for those masks to protect you.

We won't ever know for sure until an audit is done of all the deaths with COVID. But depending on the state, if a person tests either anytime in the past 30 or 60 days for COVID, they are counted as a death with COVID. If that person died "with COVID" from a PCR test that only returned a positive after a ct+ level of 40, then there is no way that COVID had anything to do with their death. The story in the NY Times from a few weeks back estimated that anywhere from 50-90% of the positive COVID tests are meaningless with the PCR testing being used.
At the risk of getting away from the topic of coaches, let's be clear that COVID can indeed be the cause of death even for someone currently testing negative. For example, my next-door neighbor was hospitalized for five days last month with COVID-related pneumonia. He has "recovered" from COVID, testing negative when he was sent home, but his lungs have not recovered. It's six weeks later and he can't walk across his living room without getting winded. (I work with a Stanford-trained pulmonologist, who says COVID causes the worst lung damage he's ever seen.). The ambulance came for Bob on Saturday and I'm worried about him. If he dies from this lung damage, then it would be a COVID death.

At the risk of getting away from the topic of coaches, let's be clear that COVID can indeed be the cause of death even for someone currently testing negative. For example, my next-door neighbor was hospitalized for five days last month with COVID-related pneumonia. He has "recovered" from COVID, testing negative when he was sent home, but his lungs have not recovered. It's six weeks later and he can't walk across his living room without getting winded. (I work with a Stanford-trained pulmonologist, who says COVID causes the worst lung damage he's ever seen.). The ambulance came for Bob on Saturday and I'm worried about him. If he dies from this lung damage, then it would be a COVID death.
How old is Bob and what health problems did he have prior....

How old is Bob and what health problems did he have prior....
Bob is older, but had no lung problems before COVID. My wife went to visit him yesterday, and per his report the docs tell him that his heart and other systems check out just fine. COVID is a vascular virus, but the lungs seem particularly vulnerable to long-term problems. We're all hoping this will be a brief set-back.

Not sure how he escaped the deadliest and scariest of all diseases in the history of the universe.

Way to go, Bobby.

Do you think there will be a measurable risk of Covid by the time the camps open?

For example, old geezers like me look at the numbers-and Kirk is certainly a play the numbers guy-and see that the total number of Covid cases in the US represents only .00533 of the population. That means any one person has a 99.4666% of not contracting Covid.

While that number doesn't control for age it also doesn't control for the significant percentage of cases and deaths in nursing homes and among a population with significant respiratory complications, and even those cases arose primarily in about six metro areas.

Part of the catastrophic fall out from Covid was the hysterical overreaction to the early gross exaggeration of the risk of contracting and then dying from Covid. Gotta stop thinking and talking about this like the Great Plague of 1665 or even Spanish Flu a century ago.

Yeah 350,000 deaths by Christmas morning is a gross exaggeration of deaths from Covid19. Oh wait that’s a fact not a guess .

I do not see anything in this article that states that an elected official, even if concerned, was taking immediate action to shut down large protest gatherings yet the local tavern owner has to run at 50% or less capacity.

Have to love this logic for risk of virus vs risk of losing life by police....

Ingram, 25, who was wearing a mask, said she has asthma and was worried about contracting the coronavirus. But she said as a black woman, she always felt that her life was under threat from police and she needed to protest that.

So you have an underlying medical condition but you are so worried about your life being under threat from law officers that you are going to protest which could bring you into contact with law enforcement in a negative way should something go wrong?

What she was saying is that she was ok risking her life by protesting an issue that had a very personal meaning to her. In other words sone things are more important and worth risking your life for .

What is sad however is that institutionalized racism is so much a part of our law enforcement and greater America that a person of color would even have to make this sacrifice of risking their own life to try to create change and equality .

Reactions: BBHawk
Disagree. You evaluate a disease by measuring the afflicted and mortality rates. That is real data, not modeled or hypothesized. At least if the purpose is to create public policy.

For example your herd immunity theory is correct but you failed to recognize the most critical element of herd immunity. The virons weaken as they mutate while the mammalian resistance strengthens as we become progressively more immune. The virus becomes progressively less dangerous as it spreads.

Indeed, the diminishing number of people that favor a prolonged shut down mainly argue that the universe of undiagnosed persons contains some exponential subgroup of a symptomatic Covid cases. If that is true, which seem rather unlikely given what we know about the virus, then herd immunity is already developing far faster than is recognized. Also, if true, it means that the actual risk of an adverse health impact from Covid is less likely and significant by whatever exponent or increment the total cases are understated in the "confirmed cases" data.

Give me a cite on the U of I study and I'll drill down in detail.

What actions taken when would have "saved lives"? Based on existing empirical data the economic damage will be followed by a hard spike in a variety of mortalities. These "actions" aren't without devastating effects on other people, including death and diminished life expectancies, far more people than have contracted and many exponents more than the unfortunate death count from Covid. The inability of "scientists" to look beyond their immediate field of inquiry allow them to excel at seeing every detail of every tree while leaving them utterly blind to the forest. The non scientific approach to Covid by scientists and the politicians they advise has been laughable.

Current survival rate numbers in the US.
0-19. 99.997%
20-49 99.98%
50-69. 99.5%
70+ 94.6%

So you call him "fuhrer" for not being dictatorial? That's real genius

ADVERTISEMENT