ADVERTISEMENT

Coacheshotseat.com

hawkdave007

HR MVP
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2003

Kirk is officially ranked #14 this week. I think this the first time he's been on the hot seat list since September of 2015 (just before the Hawks went on that major winning run). Even if he loses the rest of the games this season, I don't think KF gets fired, and the recent contract extension all but guaranteed that. But finishing this season with the same record as Hayden in his final season would be a rough look.

Pat Fitzgerald is ranked #4 this week. Fitzgerald is desperate for a win. He won 3 last year, not sure what happens if he only wins 1 this year. I assume Northwestern has alumni buyout money available even greater than that of the Southern oil barons, so money shouldn't be an issue for them. Fitzgerald always felt like their "forever coach" so it would be weird if he got the boot.

Neither of those coaches are on the hot seat at this point. There’s a lot of noise ratcheting up around KF, but unless it’s of his choosing, he’s not going anywhere this year. If nothing changes next year, that could change, however.

And Northwestern has been struggling the last two years for sure, but Fitz is a favorite son and is arguably the best coach they’ve ever had. He’ll get more time to try to work this out.

But hey, they’re getting some clicks, so that’s cool.

Neither of those coaches are on the hot seat at this point. There’s a lot of noise ratcheting up around KF, but unless it’s of his choosing, he’s not going anywhere this year. If nothing changes next year, that could change, however.

And Northwestern has been struggling the last two years for sure, but Fitz is a favorite son and is arguably the best coach they’ve ever had. He’ll get more time to try to work this out.

But hey, they’re getting some clicks, so that’s cool.
Pat is a great coach, with the academic constraints he deals with it is very impressive what he has done.
Hmmm, I'd take him at this point.

Fitzy is an excellent coach. I'd run through a wall for the guy. KF, imo, is one of the better football coaches ever, and a great man who truly cares about his players. Iowa is blessed to have him.

Writers that make these sort of lists are pukes. How would they like someone out there making a list of sportswriters to be fired? I can understand a local writer reporting to the community what he sees including the negative. But the performances by the coaches on this list are of no importance to these national writers. They are simply trying to sell papers, clicks, subscriptions.

It's slimeball and I don't like it. But it's at least far more understandable then so-called "fans" doing the same thing in the name of venting their entire piece of crap life

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: hawkeye_power
Fitzy is an excellent coach. I'd run through a wall for the guy. KF, imo, is one of the better football coaches ever, and a great man who truly cares about his players. Iowa is blessed to have him.

Writers that make these sort of lists are pukes. How would they like someone out there making a list of sportswriters to be fired? I can understand a local writer reporting to the community what he sees including the negative. But the performances by the coaches on this list are of no importance to these national writers. They are simply trying to sell papers, clicks, subscriptions.

It's slimeball and I don't like it. But it's at least far more understandable then so-called "fans" doing the same thing in the name of venting their entire piece of crap life
Yep…and for the record, I see this as also being much different than a reporter using reports he finds credible that boosters are raising money or that meetings are happening. This is nothing more than “Team X sucks, so their coach is #12 on the hot seat list”

Reactions: eyesofhawk

Writers that make these sort of lists are pukes. How would they like someone out there making a list of sportswriters to be fired? I can understand a local writer reporting to the community what he sees including the negative. I don't condone any writer calling for a coaches job. They just don't have that kind of information. But the performances by the coaches on this list are of no importance to these national writers. They are simply trying to sell papers, clicks, subscriptions.

Kirk is a good man and a great coach, he's done incerdible things at Iowa. I think at this point though the game has passed him by.
I think it's time for new blood.

No coach is on the hot seat with a 42 million buyout but no coach is bigger than the fan base or the University. He’s in no position to put a family member in a position that he’s not qualified for. He and Barta LIED to the whole fan base about his hiring and lied about who he’s REALLY reporting to (Not Barta). I worked for a company where the manager hired his stupid worthless son who worked directly under him. Let’s just say the department had a huge celebration when the prick was fired. I’ve gone to every Iowa home football game since 1983, I guarantee you haven’t. I’ll continue to go but it’s becoming more and more painful and it didn’t just start this year, it started in 2017. Coincidence?

Reactions: Hawkeyes406
Kirk is a good man and a great coach, he's done incerdible things at Iowa. I think at this point though the game has passed him by.
How has the game passed by a coach that won 10 games last year? It hasn't. The Hawks were ranked 2nd in the country at one point. Sure, that level of success wasn't sustained through the entire season. But the team must have been close in some way to doing something very special. Do you realize how silly it sounds to say that a long-successful coach should be fired 13 months after nationwide evaluators voted his team to be 2nd best in the country?

Is it possible that the struggles of the offensive line have very much hamstringed this team? Football has always been won and lost up front. Why did KC lose to Tampa in the super bowl? Because their offensive line was in shambles. Why did Tampa get trounced and bounced the following season in the playoffs? Too banged up including the offensive line. Even two of the best QBs of all time in Mahomes and Brady are completely at the mercy of their line.

The importance of winning the line of scrimmage spans the history of football. Yet somehow people want to mindlessly join the vent session, proclaim that the game has passed by the coach overnight, and call for his job

Not the kind of hotseat.com website that drives the traffic to the site. I bet the female variety hotseat.com does.

This is a coach with a real hot seat ...................

nfl-cayman-nebraska.gif

How has the game passed by a coach that won 10 games last year? It hasn't. The Hawks were ranked 2nd in the country at one point. Sure, that level of success wasn't sustained through the entire season. But the team must have been close in some way to doing something very special. Do you realize how silly it sounds to say that a long-successful coach should be fired 13 months after nationwide evaluators voted his team to be 2nd best in the country?

Is it possible that the struggles of the offensive line have very much hamstringed this team? Football has always been won and lost up front. Why did KC lose to Tampa in the super bowl? Because their offensive line was in shambles. Why did Tampa get trounced and bounced the following season in the playoffs? Too banged up including the offensive line. Even two of the best QBs of all time in Mahomes and Brady are completely at the mercy of their line.

The importance of winning the line of scrimmage spans the history of football. Yet somehow people want to mindlessly join the vent session, proclaim that the game has passed by the coach overnight, and call for his job
Ask Paul Chryst how your analogy worked out for him. Better record than Ferentz and was puffed midway through the season just because. People always want to point to last season but never want to bring up Michigan. Why is that? Is it because we played a bunch of nobody’s and then played a somebody and got thoroughly destroyed, like OSU this year? The B1G is going to get rid of divisions next year and Iowa is going to get a taste of what they’ve been missing playing in the weak west. Let’s see if the Ferentz Family has the stomach for it.

Ask Paul Chryst how your analogy worked out for him. Better record than Ferentz and was puffed midway through the season just because. People always want to point to last season but never want to bring up Michigan. Why is that? Is it because we played a bunch of nobody’s and then played a somebody and got thoroughly destroyed, like OSU this year? The B1G is going to get rid of divisions next year and Iowa is going to get a taste of what they’ve been missing playing in the weak west. Let’s see if the Ferentz Family has the stomach for it.
Divisions go away in 2024, not next year. Per Scott Dochterman. Kirk has a decent record vs Penn State and Michigan over his career.

What Offense have you been watching the last ten years? He has ridden the coat tails of two excellent DCs for well over a decade. He is in the Dark Ages Offensively and that is not going to change. What have you seen from him offensively that even remotely resembles the innovation you see from offenses today? Charlie Jones should be your wake up call but much like KF, your head is buried in the sand. Walk me through how the kid was 2nd Team at Iowa in April and is now the number 1 or 2 WRs in the nation? Saturday 4 WRs combined for four receptions and 20 yards. My guess there may be multiple Charlie Jones after the season is over. In 2020, two NFL caliber WRs averaged 6 receptions per game or 3 each. Throw in the fact that we can’t run the ball as well. Iowa fans deserve better than this Train Wreck of an Offense as do our Defensive and Special Teams players. Wait until there are no divisions in the BIG and USC and UCLA start conference play. No more gimme 8+ win seasons after the BIG Ten West Gravy Train Division is gone.

What Offense have you been watching the last ten years? He has ridden the coat tails of two excellent DCs for well over a decade. He is in the Dark Ages Offensively and that is not going to change. What have you seen from him offensively that even remotely resembles the innovation you see from offenses today? Charlie Jones should be your wake up call but much like KF, your head is buried in the sand. Walk me through how the kid was 2nd Team at Iowa in April and is now the number 1 or 2 WRs in the nation? Saturday 4 WRs combined for four receptions and 20 yards. My guess there may be multiple Charlie Jones after the season is over. In 2020, two NFL caliber WRs averaged 6 receptions per game or 3 each. Throw in the fact that we can’t run the ball as well. Iowa fans deserve better than this Train Wreck of an Offense as do our Defensive and Special Teams players. Wait until there are no divisions in the BIG and USC and UCLA start conference play. No more gimme 8+ win seasons after the BIG Ten West Gravy Train Division is gone.
None of this has a thing to do with what I posted

The game hasn't passed Chryst by either. Leonard is running the exact same shemes

Did you watch the games last year? The year before? The year before that? Lmao
It was a shit show offense carried by the D. The game has passed him by.

Fritzgerald is a great coach hindered by subpar talent. I see their recruiting pick up with the new facility. I would trade coaches in a heartbeat.

No way. He is more stubborn than ferentz. He loses to terrible non con opponents every year as well.

With how the landscape of college football has changed (due to the large amount of money that has been generated).....the college game is now just like the NFL. Last years results mean nothing when compared to the current results.

I'm not saying I agree with what the college game has become. However, that is the reality of anything that involves the amount of money that it does.

The defense won ten games, out offensive philosophy isn’t good, execution worse. I suppose you are one of those, if the offense was better the defense would be worse, kind of guys

At the end of the day minus all the emotions that play into people complaining, this is the correct answer.
I think KF has had a great run, but The same principle applies to players and coaches alike at some point: Father Time is undefeated.
KF has been a terrific coach and up until this point his philosophy has worked at Iowa . Play sound defense and special teams , wait for the other team to make mistakes and take advantage with a normally vanilla offensive scheme .
Be fundamentally sound , don’t beat yourself and things will work in your favor.
problem is this isn’t working anymore . Teams are not beating themselves and unfortunately they have adapted to the new normal of actually scoring points.
Bottom line as stated is: It’s time Kirk. Thank you for your contributions to Iowa football, but it’s time to let someone else lead this team into the new era of college football.

It's very simple. People winning games haven't had the game pass them by.

I feel sorry for you that your boner for offense is more important to you than winning.

I also feel sorry for you that somehow any of this causes you think KF should be fired

• Haha
Reactions: Greenway4Prez
I'll...I'm good with a shit show offense if the W's are there. I know a lot of you only watch football to see TD's but I like watching great defense too and, in the B1G, we face a lot of very good-great defenses. Amazing how people make fun the B12 and their ole defense, but then that's what they want to watch.

That being said, clearly we've reached a point where the offense is so bad the W's aren't there. It needs to be fixed.

Reactions: eyesofhawk
“If you stand still you fall backwards,
You cannot stand still, because the world moves away from you if you stand still.
And there is no stasis. Only backwards.” Jordan B. Peterson

"it is not the strongest of the species that survives,
nor the most intelligent that survives,
It is the one that is most adaptable to change." Charles Darwin

Kirk may be a good man but do you think he can make the change/adapt as needed? I don't.

Reactions: DewHawk
No way. He is more stubborn than ferentz. He loses to terrible non con opponents every year as well.
In the last 10 years, he has a much better win/loss record against Wisconsin than Iowa and has owned Iowa. All this with much less talent than what Iowa has had.

10 out of 14 ain't bad.

Add in when USC and UCLA officially join the B1G and begin play without divisions, I assume KF will retire before that begins. It’s a whole new ballgame in the B1G when that happens.

• Haha
Reactions: pistachio1999
I'll...I'm good with a shit show offense if the W's are there. I know a lot of you only watch football to see TD's but I like watching great defense too and, in the B1G, we face a lot of very good-great defenses. Amazing how people make fun the B12 and their ole defense, but then that's what they want to watch.

That being said, clearly we've reached a point where the offense is so bad the W's aren't there. It needs to be fixed.
Agree. People complain that Iowa is starting guards at offensive tackle, and at the same time want to spread the field, which would further expose them to speed. The recruiting base for Iowa isn't exactly built to play in space, just see how the spread has worked in Nebraska and Minnesota. This offense is terrible, and BF should not be back, but a ball control offense hides a lot of personnel flaws, and also protects the defense.

Agree. People complain that Iowa is starting guards at offensive tackle, and at the same time want to spread the field, which would further expose them to speed. The recruiting base for Iowa isn't exactly built to play in space, just see how the spread has worked in Nebraska and Minnesota. This offense is terrible, and BF should not be back, but a ball control offense hides a lot of personnel flaws, and also protects the defense.

While it does hide personnel flaws, because of the style, it also perpetuates those personnel flaws. Now that C Jones has exposed our offense, those personnel flaws will be even more pronounced.

Add in when USC and UCLA officially join the B1G and begin play without divisions, I assume KF will retire before that begins. It’s a whole new ballgame in the B1G when that happens.
Its like we didn't even beat USC recently in a bowl game. Like we skkkkkkkkared.

Its like we didn't even beat USC recently in a bowl game. Like we skkkkkkkkared.
Do you know what Lincoln Reilly is doing in LA? He’s turning USC back into the machine that USC used to be while Kirk has Iowa last in offense and at 3-4, staring at a losing record. Buy a vowel and get a clue.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Do you know what Lincoln Reilly is doing in LA? He’s turning USC back into the machine that USC used to be while Kirk has Iowa last in offense and at 3-4, staring at a losing record. But a vowel and get a clue.
Riley will be a perennial 6-3 coach in the B1G.

He just won’t have tough enough teams to dominate the B1G.

Do you know what Lincoln Reilly is doing in LA? He’s turning USC back into the machine that USC used to be while Kirk has Iowa last in offense and at 3-4, staring at a losing record. Buy a vowel and get a clue.
He hasn't done a damn thing. Just crapped himself against Utah.

ADVERTISEMENT