ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Grade

C/Seahawk

HB All-American
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2001
I've glanced through several threads today and haven't seen much posted about the coaching, so my apologies in advance if this was missed.

I'm not sure I can recall an opening game of the season that was played as cleanly as the game yesterday. I don't recall many if any penalties on the offensive side of the ball for illegal formations, false starts, etc., so in that respect I think you not only have to applaud the players, but especially the coaches. Honestly, I think the coaches are deserving of an A grade for the opening game of the season all things considered. Not only for having the players ready, but for also continuing the aggressive game plan as it relates to going for it on 4th down and even trying a little trickery in the kicking game.

There were so many question marks coming in about the offensive line, it seems like Brian and Kirk Ferentz had those guys ready to play. Sure you can debate how good that ISU team was and we still have a lot to prove, but I was pleasantly surprised by how clean we played on both sides of the ball for 90% of the game yesterday.

Last but not least, props to the crowd yesterday. Despite record low attendance for an opener in the past decade, it didn't look bad on TV and the crowd noise was solid despite the low turnout. I'll be the first to admit I thought the game yesterday would be a lot closer and I don't want to get too excited after one game, but yesterday definitely gave me hope going forward. I love seeing the squad playing disciplined football right out of the gate, it tells me the coaching staff had the attention of the team during the offseason and overall the team is really grinding and focusing on the fundamentals which is always a good sign Iowa teams.

Go Hawks

Reactions: HawkStar
Nice post, and agree with it all. What has me curious is will we be just as consistent, motivated, crisp, etc in Ames. Iowa has shown Jekyll to Hyde performances from week to week in the past. Isu game makes ppl nervous and maybe frustrated in knowing which team shows up. I say coaches need to turn the offense loose and let it rip per se. Hopefully they can pick up right where they left off this past Saturday

I agree it was a clean game....my thoughts are ISU is not a good team or we are a little better than I expected. I'm hoping that later...I'm not going to anoint any coach just yet. We played very clean this game and I hope it continues! Hard to to come to any conclusions until we play a good team.

I'm defense oriented so I tend to focus more on that side of the ball.

I'll give Phil Parker an "A" grade. Coprich is returning FCS Player of the Year and the Hawkeye defense held him to around 2.5 ypc (vs. 6.1 ypc in 2014). Coprich has NFL talent and he will be drafted (if he stays out of legal trouble).

OK, so the Hawks effectively stopped the run that means Tre Roberson picked-up the slack right? Not even close. Almost completely shut down, in fact (49 pass yards on 5 completions and -12 yards rushing).

You could dock the defense for the less effective play of the reserves but I'm going to call it a wash because those players got valuable game experience. A solid "A" for Parker.

I enjoyed watching this game as much as any the last several years. Loved the play calling for the most part. Also the rotation on both sides of the ball. Let's hope the Captain doesn't revert.

I have feeling ISU will be a thumping...I hope I don't jinx it. But, from what I saw, the Hawks looked motivated and passionate. Maybe Kirk has unleashed the hounds a bit. Grade wise I woild go with an A-.

On the offensive side of the ball to me the play calling was better then I expected. On the defensive side it seemed that the guys were in position to make plays. Overall I was pleased with how the coaches had the HAWKS ready to play. But there is always small things that warrant concern. I would give the coaching staff a B+.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT