ADVERTISEMENT

Cohen received $500k from Russian Company?

hamburger-bun-white-background-54417394.jpg

Yeah I'm sure these payments are on the up and up. The decision to move up the Iran announcement/decision makes more sense now.

"Mr. Vekselberg is one of seven Russian oligarchs who were targeted by American sanctions as punishment for Moscow's election interference."

"Chief among these suspicious financial transactions are approximately $500,000 in payments received from Mr. Viktor Vekselberg, a Russian Oligarch with an estimated net worth of nearly $13 Billion. Mr. Vekselberg and his cousin Mr. Andrew Intrater routed eight payments to Mr. Cohen through a company named Columbus Nova LLC (“Columbus”) beginning in January 2017 and continuing until at least August 2017."

Reactions: Brune and TheCainer
Uh, OK. If any prosecutor wants to pick it up and investigate it then Cohen might be at some risk, but I don't see the connection to the Daniels civil case. Am I missing something?

Uh, OK. If any prosecutor wants to pick it up and investigate it then Cohen might be at some risk, but I don't see the connection to the Daniels civil case. Am I missing something?
I think this more of the collusion angle if Trump or campaign benefited from these donations.

Just spitballing here but I think the fact that Avenatti uncovered evidence of Russian collusion in the midst of his investigation into the Trump/Stormy Daniels case is important.

If Avenatti has it, you know Mueller has it. This could be what Mueller sent to SDNY.

How could a half million dollars from a Russian oligarch to Donald Trump’s personal attorney AFTER the election have anything to do with collusion between the Russians and Trump’s campaign BEFORE the election??? Somebody needs to reign this Mueller witch hunter in!!!!

Just spitballing here but I think the fact that Avenatti uncovered evidence of Russian collusion in the midst of his investigation into the Trump/Stormy Daniels case is important.

If Avenatti has it, you know Mueller has it. This could be what Mueller sent to SDNY.
not too sure yet that anything this lawyer says is fact

How could a half million dollars from a Russian oligarch to Donald Trump’s personal attorney AFTER the election have anything to do with collusion between the Russians and Trump’s campaign BEFORE the election??? Somebody needs to reign this Mueller witch hunter in!!!!

Yeah, this could be evidence of Trump ties to Russian mob, money laundering, campaign finance violations after the fact, and Russia buying access to Trump. If true this would have brought down any previous President.

Yeah, this could be evidence of Trump ties to Russian mob, money laundering, campaign finance violations after the fact, and Russia buying access to Trump. If true this would have brought down any previous President.
or it could be : just trying to get stormy another gig at a strip club

2/ One of the most important allegations is that Cohen made various misrepresentations to First Republic Bank when he opened a bank account for Essential Consultants LLC, the company he created that was used to transmit the $130,000 payment to Daniels.
3/ Among other things, Cohen allegedly told First Republic Bank that Essential was a real estate consulting company that collected fees for investment consulting work from high net worth individuals and that it would be receiving wires from people within the U.S.
4/ Avenatti claims that Cohen's representations to the bank were false, which appears to be the case because Essential seems to be little more than a shell company used by Cohen to funnel payments. That matters because, as Avenatti notes, bank fraud is a federal crime.
5/ So did Cohen commit bank fraud? It's not clear from the information provided by Avenatti, but it's worth noting that federal prosecutors in Manhattan are reportedly investigating Cohen for bank fraud. Typically, bank fraud is when you purposely deceive a bank to get money.
6/ What's odd about the lies that Cohen told is that while he clearly intended to deceive the bank about the nature of Essential's business, he was not trying to cheat the bank out of money. So it's not a typical bank fraud, with a lie on a loan application or a deposit slip.
7/ Avenatti also alleges that within 75 days of the payment to Daniels, a Russian oligarch "caused substantial funds to be deposited into the bank account" Cohen used for the payment.
8/ If the payment to Daniels was campaign-related, an argument could be made that the Russian provided the money that was used for the campaign-related payment, which could be a crime. Foreign nationals are prohibited from contributing to U.S. elections.
9/ According to Avenatti, the payments to Essential from the Oligarch were routed through a U.S. company called Columbus Nova. This suggests that the oligarch wanted to hide the payment, and might give Cohen the defense that he didn't know that the payment was from the Russian.
10/ @CNN just reported that Mueller's investigators asked the oligarch about payments that the U.S. company (owned by the oligarch) made to Cohen after the election when his jet landed in New York.
11/ According to @CNN, it is unknown whether the oligarch's U.S. company was a client of Cohen's or whether Cohen did work for the company. @CNN reported that Mueller's investigators also asked the oligarch about over $300,000 in contributions to Trump by the oligarch's cousin.
12/ The cousin is the head of the U.S. company, Columbus Nova, that put the money in the Essential account after the payment to Daniels. Also, according to Avenatti, pharmaceutical company Novartis deposited almost $300,000 and AT&T deposited $200,000 into the account.
13/ It's not clear what Cohen was doing with all of the deposits, but it's easy to see why law enforcement is investigating whether Cohen committed bank fraud or campaign finance violations.
14/ The key questions are (1) whether Cohen deceived the bank to obtain money or property; (2) whether he funneled campaign-related payments from foreign nationals and hid the source of the payments; and (3) whether he broke other laws to hide this activity.
15/ As I've typed this thread, I've noticed many of you are talking about money laundering. Typically money laundering is when "dirty" money from criminal activity is made "clean," and usually requires proof of underlying criminal activity (called "specified unlawful activity").
16/ While these transactions are very unusual and may be criminal, as I discussed above, this doesn't look like money laundering unless the money from the oligarch's company was obtained via criminal activity. /end

Patience. ..all good things are worth waiting for.

Mr. Cohen created Essential Consultants in Delaware less than two weeks before he completed his deal with Ms. Clifford, who is now contesting her contract with Mr. Cohen as invalid. Mr. Cohen initially said he paid her out of his own pocket by way of a home equity line of credit.

But last week, former Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani of New York said that Mr. Trump had reimbursed Mr. Cohen through several $35,000 monthly transactions that amounted to more than $400,000 — covering the payment to Ms. Clifford and, he said, other “incidental expenses.”

Now we know why Trump is getting nervous about Rudy's story. Trump never paid for the Stormy settlement. His Russian buddies did. Is there any doubt that Donald has offered a pardon to Cohen if he doesn't flip.

Reactions: Bonerfarts
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT