ADVERTISEMENT

Cold Smokin' Salmon

Fijimn

HR Legend
May 7, 2008
I am going to try my hand at cold smoking salmon. I have a 2.5 lbs skin-on filet that just finished a 3 day cure and now air drying in the fridge until tomorrow. I'm going to use a smoke box with alder or hickory chips -- plan is to drop one or two coals in box, cover with chips and close up the box. Should be sufficient to create smoke but limit the heat. Everything i read is keep cold smoke under 100 degrees - which is about ambient temperatures in Houston. Any tips?

Reactions: nolesincebirth
I am going to try my hand at cold smoking salmon. I have a 2.5 lbs skin-on filet that just finished a 3 day cure and now air drying in the fridge until tomorrow. I'm going to use a smoke box with alder or hickory chips -- plan is to drop one or two coals in box, cover with chips and close up the box. Should be sufficient to create smoke but limit the heat. Everything i read is keep cold smoke under 100 degrees - which is about ambient temperatures in Houston. Any tips?
I do my cold smoking at night. That way I know the ambient temp is much cooler and I aim for about 75 to 80F smoker temp.

I do my cold smoking at night. That way I know the ambient temp is much cooler and I aim for about 75 to 80F smoker temp.

That sounds like a good idea. I was shooting for about 3 hour smoke and see how it is. I read about a hack using a soldering iron as heat source for the wood chips in a smoke box.

That sounds like a good idea. I was shooting for about 3 hour smoke and see how it is. I read about a hack using a soldering iron as heat source for the wood chips in a smoke box.
You can also buy a smoking tube from the zon form 13 bucks. I fill mine with wood pellets, get it smoking, then introduce it near the meat but never in close proximity (greater than 3 feet). It gives me an even burn, continuously smoking, to 5 hrs. Works great even at say 50F (ambient air temp) in Iowa.

Interested to catch up on this thread after some opinions. Never done some fish.

@jasonrann

I am not much of a wizard around the grill/smoker with fish. I am typically pan frying or baking my salmon and deep fry other fish like walleye and crappy. That said, I did try salmon last summer and it was outstanding. I had a very simple approach though, just hit it with rub and my seasoning blend and smoked over hickory/mesquite chips for about 45 minutes. I had the fillet in foil (poked holes in the foil) and drizzled with olive oil so it didn't dry out. We opened the foil for about the last 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: PerkyForHerky
Just an fyi, cold and hot smoking are different, but both can be successfully used on fish. It depends on what you're looking for as far as a finished product is concerned.

ADVERTISEMENT