ADVERTISEMENT

College Athletic Scholarships for Military Service

ILHawksFan

Rookie
Mar 19, 2022

Long time reader, never posted. Saw this article today. Thought it was an interesting idea. Would provide scholarships for college athletes in all sports except football and basketball with no service obligation while in school, but would have a commitment that would start after their college career has ended.

Would be interesting to see how it works out if the service branches adopt it as a recruiting option. Could be beneficial for kids who want to continue wrestling after high school but can’t get a full ride.

I’m not sure how this is different from ROTC other than the drills and training. But I assume they would attend OTS or similar upon graduation.

Will there be a transfer portal available between graduation and enlistment?

I’m not sure how this is different from ROTC other than the drills and training. But I assume they would attend OTS or similar upon graduation.
The way I read it they wouldn’t have any requirements and their commitment would start after college. Would allow athletes to focus on being a student/athlete without having the military responsibilities that come with ROTC or National Guard/USAR while they are in school. It’s just a proposal but could be interesting to see implemented.

It would offer an option to cover school for those without a scholarship or with just a fractional scholarship, especially with only 9.9 scholarships per program.

I would be very curious to see how all of this works (if it progresses that far).

I can see some athletic departments very excited for the influx of cash. I can see some coaches very upset that they’re essentially being handcuffed.

Not many kids want to go into the military; would the team lose a scholarship if they can’t find a female diver who wants to serve?

What if I have 3 scholarships in fencing and one is military sponsored...but the best military-willing fencer I can find is my 50th highest rated recruit? Do I have to give it to that kid instead of my 3rd or 4th choice?

I would be very curious to see how all of this works (if it progresses that far).

I can see some athletic departments very excited for the influx of cash. I can see some coaches very upset that they’re essentially being handcuffed.

Not many kids want to go into the military; would the team lose a scholarship if they can’t find a female diver who wants to serve?

What if I have 3 scholarships in fencing and one is military sponsored...but the best military-willing fencer I can find is my 50th highest rated recruit? Do I have to give it to that kid instead of my 3rd or 4th choice?
The only thing you should be worried about is this - can the kid who gets the schools make 157.

Reactions: ILHawksFan

I spent 30 years in the military. I met a lot of people in the military who wrestled in high school. A good number of them were state placers or state champions. The wrestling room was always a good place to recruit from. You’d get tough kids from there.

Hey I wrestled for the Navy, Anchors Away
That's awesome. Did your team(s) beat Army to earn the little star next to your N?

Did you end up being either a "bubble head" or a "skimmer puke?"

My brother went to West Point and he taught me in the 70s that crabs walk sideways.

A close friend's grandson is in his first year at Annapolis for soccer. Annapolis is beautiful and I can be there in about an hour.

That's awesome. Did your team(s) beat Army to earn the little star next to your N?

Did you end up being either a "bubble head" or a "skimmer puke?"

My brother went to West Point and he taught me in the 70s that crabs walk sideways.

A close friend's grandson is in his first year at Annapolis for soccer. Annapolis is beautiful and I can be there in about an hour.
No I wrestled for the All Navy Freestyle and Greco team with a bunch of future Seals. I was the safest guy in the bar.

ADVERTISEMENT