ADVERTISEMENT

College Athletics

mtdew_fever

HR Heisman
Jul 14, 2004
Has there been any thought to making the sports in college a major? When it comes down to it, sports in general are an entertainment business, similar to music and theatre.

Sure a basketball major would be worthless for those that do not turn "Pro", but one could argue that someone that majors in music performance is also worthless other that fraction of a percentage of its graduates that can make a full time living doing it. Most of the music performance majors I know end up changing majors or adding an education teaching degree. A "Basketball" major would likely have to do the exact same thing.

Music majors, I don't think, typically get a full ride scholie. Food, training, books, room looks like a pretty good deal to me for athletes. They for sure take a risk to get it but it's pretty obvious that it's a risk many are willing to take. Majoring in basketball or any sport, for that matter, doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Which is worse....a music performance major taking out $50k in loans or a basketball major leaving with zero loans? Both would have to take the required general education classes the same.

I know a number of music majors that didn't get a full ride, but they were paying much less than I was for college. Were they paid to be there? It depends on how you look at it.

Music majors, I don't think, typically get a full ride scholie. Food, training, books, room looks like a pretty good deal to me for athletes. They for sure take a risk to get it but it's pretty obvious that it's a risk many are willing to take. Majoring in basketball or any sport, for that matter, doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

School is for school. No changes to accommodate sports, especially if they undermine the educational goal. Remember, sports are an extracurricular activity, not the reason for the school's existence.
Further, there are already worthless majors that sportos can pursue so they can get by. That is the enough.

Which is worse....a music performance major taking out $50k in loans or a basketball major leaving with zero loans? Both would have to take the required general education classes the same.

I know a number of music majors that didn't get a full ride, but they were paying much less than I was for college. Were they paid to be there? It depends on how you look at it.

I don't understand the question, of course they were paid. They got a deduction on tuition or books or whatever. That is why they're loans are less than yours.

Are you suggesting other entertainment degrees should be considered extracurricular activities only and be removed as well? Theater and music come to mind.

School is for school. No changes to accommodate sports, especially if they undermine the educational goal. Remember, sports are an extracurricular activity, not the reason for the school's existence.
Further, there are already worthless majors that sportos can pursue so they can get by. That is the enough.

So they were paid to play? Sounds very similar to college athletics.

I don't understand the question, of course they were paid. They got a deduction on tuition or books or whatever. That is why they're loans are less than yours.

Are you suggesting other entertainment degrees should be considered extracurricular activities only and be removed as well? Theater and music come to mind.
Different in my opinion. Music involves an intellectual pursuit, sports do not. Theater and acting I am torn on. I tend to think of actors in much the same way as the Greeks (or was it the Romans) did. I enjoy the result, but tend to not have the highest opinion of actors and the industry.

I'd think you could kind of tie it to Exercise Science, Sports Management, Coaching, maybe a couple of other things. Give them a somewhat broad base, then some specifics based on the sport. Get them classes that would lend itself to being a coach, a trainer, strength and conditioning coach, etc. Even some business/legal side, could get them some basics in front office or agent requirements.

Have B.S. in Athletics with an emphasis in (insert sport). Similar to music, they have Music Ed and Music Performance majors, with emphasis on vocal/instrumental (and in a particular instrument). There would be some challenges to start, but it's not a bad idea.

Reactions: mtdew_fever

Here's a kink in the works...I have a friend, a music major (Instrumental Performance) who paid his way through school playing in a band. No loans, he benefitted from the talent he was developing in college.

Edit - I will fully admit to being fully on board with athletes getting a share of the money the NCAA makes on them, and being allowed to sign a (shoe, bat, glove, clothing, etc) contract while they are in school. Thought I'd mention that so there's no misunderstanding which side of the fence I'm on.

So they were paid to play? Sounds very similar to college athletics.

Paid with tuition, books, food and training. You call it what you want, athletes claiming they are not paid is ridiculous. Now if you are not taking advantage of what the University is offering you, that's your fault, not the systems. This lady is claiming college athletics is the equivalent of slavery, absurd.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...dell-carter-mother-likens-ncaa-system-slavery

Reactions: mtdew_fever
I completely agree with you on that.

The NBA also has a system. If her son is lucky enough to get drafted, he won't be able to choice on who has his rights. Will she be upset if her son doesn't get to play for the team of her choice?

Paid with tuition, books, food and training. You call it what you want, athletes claiming they are not paid is ridiculous. Now if you are not taking advantage of what the University is offering you, that's your fault, not the systems. This lady is claiming college athletics is the equivalent of slavery, absurd.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...dell-carter-mother-likens-ncaa-system-slavery

Colleges are for academics. Almost nowhere in the world do colleges put so much emphasis on sports as in the U.S. And yes, sports are entertainment. The athletes already are greatly compensated for their skills, which usually have nothing to do with being educated and getting a job. A few go pro, but the numbers are small. I believe there are majors in recreation in some colleges, but not the good ones. Recently had my class reunion at Iowa for one of the professional grad schools, and at our table the topic of basketball came up, and no one at the table could name more than one or two basketball players on our Iowa team back when we were seniors. It's been a while, but how soon we forget.

Last edited:
General studies is an easy major and worth something in real world.

A degree in a sport imo makes a joke out of college.

Here's a kink in the works...I have a friend, a music major (Instrumental Performance) who paid his way through school playing in a band. No loans, he benefitted from the talent he was developing in college.

Edit - I will fully admit to being fully on board with athletes getting a share of the money the NCAA makes on them, and being allowed to sign a (shoe, bat, glove, clothing, etc) contract while they are in school. Thought I'd mention that so there's no misunderstanding which side of the fence I'm on.
Allowing athletes to have a shoe contract would really be opening up to some serious challenges.

You can Nike would pay Oregon athletes a ton.

It would basically be public fraud.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT