ADVERTISEMENT

College Football playoffs will expand to 12 teams at the lastest by 2026

Had heard that would be the number and that it will add $1 billion in ad revenue just by doing that. Assume the conferences get some and the participants get some. Man will interest be higher in November even with a 2 loss team.

Home game in Kinnick in December baby!!!! Get those Carharts ready.

I think PAC could stay together now. Just schedule some heavies for non-con if you are Oregon or Washington. PAC would probably get one slot in the CFP.

So is it safe to assume the additional revenue generated by these playoff games gets evenly distributed on a per team basis to their respective conferences ... similar to how the B1G does bowl revenues? If so, this will only add to the new B1G TV revenue package. Be interesting to see what the B1G is projecting in their numbers if they get 2 or 3 schools in the top 12 every year. Has to be a larger number than current bowl revenue sharing.

My first thought immediately went to that timeframe is very likely could overlap with KFs retirement and a coaching change. If so, our next hire is going to be critical…even bigger implications than under normal circumstances imo.
Easier to get in the playoff so I don't know why there is any difference. We want a great coach either way, but it will be easier to make the playoff.

Easier to get in the playoff so I don't know why there is any difference. We want a great coach either way, but it will be easier to make the playoff.
Mostly meaning with the recruiting momentum and consistent top 25 performance, it would be a bummer if the program takes a step backwards with a much better chance to make the playoff right when it expands.

Couple of things.

The part about it possibly starting in 2024 is probably dependent if they can work something out with ESPN. Either the CFP works out an agreement to buyout the remaining years of ESPN's contract and reopen the bidding, or they might extend an exclusive negotiating window with ESPN and ESPN agrees to a new rights package for the expanded playoffs. Otherwise, nothing expands until 2026.

Secondly, I'm assuming the first 2 rounds of games will be on-campus. It would be difficult to get pairs of fanbases to travel to neutral sites and fill 70,000-plus stadiums for as many as 3 or 4 playoff games. You'll have a situation where for the first 2 rounds the traveling team will get a portion of the hosting team's gate to cover at least travel expenses. The 2nd round games would obviously be hosted by the 4 teams that received byes, to ensure those 4 teams get a home game and generate some revenue as well.

1st round at the higher home seed stadium. Next two rounds at bowl sites.

I’m not a fan of giving the highest ranked conference champs the top four seeds (especially in these times of realignment). That means last year, Baylor would have been above Georgia. What a joke.

So this renders conference titles meaningless? Hate it already.
Sets a high standard for programs...either make the playoffs or fire your coach.
NFL 2.0

Doesn’t this just mean Alabama, OSU, Clemson or the second best SEC team will just have to beat a couple more teams to make the final? I do like the idea of Iowa making it to the playoffs, but the end result will most likely be the same.

So this renders conference titles meaningless? Hate it already.
Sets a high standard for programs...either make the playoffs or fire your coach.
NFL 2.0

If they’re talking 6 auto qualifiers for conference champions, I’d think it would make the conference championship all that more important, no?

Where it would bring up an issue (for me) is for the loser of the Conf Championship Game getting knocked out of the playoffs because of a loss. Especially the way the B1G West has been the past several years.

Doesn’t this just mean Alabama, OSU, Clemson or the second best SEC team will just have to beat a couple more teams to make the final? I do like the idea of Iowa making it to the playoffs, but the end result will most likely be the same.

The top four seeds would play one more game from previous years in order to win the championship.

If they’re talking 6 auto qualifiers for conference champions, I’d think it would make the conference championship all that more important, no?

Where it would bring up an issue (for me) is for the loser of the Conf Championship Game getting knocked out of the playoffs because of a loss. Especially the way the B1G West has been the past several years.

The top four seeds would play one more game from previous years in order to win the championship.
Good points

There is talk of eliminating conference title games.
So we are gonna have one big 16-20 team conference with best record is title champ? Seems messy.

There is talk of eliminating conference title games.
So we are gonna have one big 16-20 team conference with best record is title champ? Seems messy.

If that were to happen it would be very questionable, especially with the unbalanced scheduling of that large of a Conf.

Sorry if I didn't see this earlier in the thread, but the biggest news here is that the top 4 seeds are the 4 highest ranked conference champions. THEREFORE, NOTRE DAME COULD NEVER GET HIGHER THAN A #5 SEED BY STAYING INDEPENDENT. There will be some big-time discussions going at that school over the next few months pondering whether or not it's worth joining a conference to get a shot at a CFP bye, or if they're better off staying independent and getting what would probably be more CFP bids but never a bye. Very interesting...

Reactions: iahawks10
It mentions on campus for 1st rd!

It's a bit of a catch-22. If you don't get a top 4 seed, but you're #5-8, you get rewarded with a home playoff game, which the #1-4 seeds don't get. I can't even imagine the buzz on campus if Iowa were to host a CFP game, which they would not get in a hypothetical magical season in which they win the B1G and get a top 4 seed....

Last year Ohio State would have jumped Iowa into the CFP after the CCG for sure.

Good deal for what’s left of pac 12 and big 12.

Iowa State path is very doable. Beat Baylor and Oklahoma St and you are likely in.

ADVERTISEMENT