Michigan State - 6.5
Northwestern - 7
Michigan - 9
Penn state - 9.5
Wisconsin - 9.5
Ohio State - 10

Reactions: ichawk24
we will win more than 6 games.

We might, but its hardly a lock as you are suggesting. Wyoming will be tough with a projected top 5 pick in the 2018 NFL draft, @ ISU hasn't been easy for nearly two decades, PSU, @ MSU, @NW, O$U, @ Wisconsin, @ Nebby...those are 8 games that seem no better than a toss up while some of them we will be heavy underdogs.
So again, taking the over is hardly easy money, at least in my opinion.

Reactions: shoot_the_three
Yeah, that seems like a really good number. Could see Iowa at 6,7, maybe 8 wins next year. So many toss ups.

I'd be comfortable taking the over on that. This year reminds me somewhat of 2013 in that many were down on the program and predicting a mediocre season at best. I think the percentage of people predicting doom and gloom is less, but it just feels the same to me in that I think we'll be better than many (most?) are expecting.

Vegas establishes betting lines to get equal money on both sides, rather than trying to predict the future.

I'm not saying they are wrong, they just look at things differently.

Reactions: anon_8rcdnbko1jbe0
Vegas released odds on about 50 teams last night

Big 10:

Indiana - 5.5
Nebraska - 6
Iowa - 6.5
Michigan State - 6.5
Northwestern - 7
Michigan - 9
Penn state - 9.5
Wisconsin - 9.5
Ohio State - 10

where's Minnesota? too much of an unknown for Vegas to play?

I've got comfortably over as well.

Wyoming has a star QB yes, and I'm pretty sure he lost all of his WR's and star RB. QB can't win games by himself. We had a 4th round pick at QB and couldn't throw for over 100 yards the last 4 games.

But into my real logic: As far as I can think back under Ferentz the best teams come from upperclassmen and depth on the lines as well as LB with a good run game. Often times, we have a first year full-time QB (Banks, Beathard, Stanzi (sort-of), Tate) so I consider that to be an overrated area in terms of win potential for Iowa teams and speaks to our "system" approach.

OL - 5 starters return, depth finally filling in behind them.
DL - Return the 3 key DE's with more experience and Lattimore/Bazata at tackle. Epenesa ready to come in and contribute from day 1 likely. I'd expect to see the experienced guys rotate around
LB - 3 senior starters and a likely NFL early to mid round pick in Josey Jewell
RB - While #2 is unknown at this point (Toks likely), we have an NFL running back with an overall talent we haven't seen here in a long time. Assuming the 5 returning OL gel, he's going to have a massive year.

You have a team with tons of experience and talent on the line of scrimmage and that's where games are won. Too many people get caught up in singular position talent.

The passing game remains our biggest concern but having Vandeberg back along with what I suspect to be a big time emergence from Fant is a good start. If Easley is as advertised that's a big bonus and then you hope one of Falconer, Young or the new guys (my money is on Smith) step up to contribute. We really only need a mediocre passing game that can hit the PA if the defense cheats and move the sticks. Anything above that is gravy.

My guess is a 9-3 (6-3 B1G) season, with an 8-10 range on wins. I feel we get one big upset at home.

Wyoming - W
@ Iowa State - W
North Texas - W
PSU - L
@MSU - W
Illinois - W
@Northwestern - L
Minnesota - W
Ohio State - W (replaced a ton on defense, contain Barrett and make him pass)
@Wisconsin - L
Purdue - W
@Nebraska - W

Wyoming - W
@ Iowa State - W
North Texas - W
PSU - L
@MSU - W
Illinois - W
@Northwestern - L
Minnesota - W
Ohio State - W (replaced a ton on defense, contain Barrett and make him pass)
@Wisconsin - L
Purdue - W
@Nebraska - W

I will predict we lose either Wyoming/Iowa State and @Nebraska for 7 wins.

I'd take the over. Run game will be solid with Wadley and Young. Have to admit Young looked ready in the spring game. We know teams will load up to stop that run that can't be surprising to anyone. So how does the new QB and system counteract loading up the box to stop the run. Do we do any better than last year with a much more experienced running back. In my opinion TEs will be the key. On D it rests with our safeties breaking up / containing big plays. Both Wyoming and ISU will test them a hundred times in those first 2 games. We talk about the number of stars a recruit has and both Wiegers and Stanley were 4 star QBs, so one should be able to jump in and run a passing attack to counteract a run stop defense. It is a timing passing offense now. First 2 games will tell us an immense amount about the rest of the season. I'd take the over (just over) at 7 wins.

I'd take the over. Run game will be solid with Wadley and Young. Have to admit Young looked ready in the spring game. We know teams will load up to stop that run that can't be surprising to anyone. So how does the new QB and system counteract loading up the box to stop the run. Do we do any better than last year with a much more experienced running back. In my opinion TEs will be the key. On D it rests with our safeties breaking up / containing big plays. Both Wyoming and ISU will test them a hundred times in those first 2 games. We talk about the number of stars a recruit has and both Wiegers and Stanley were 4 star QBs, so one should be able to jump in and run a passing attack to counteract a run stop defense. It is a timing passing offense now. First 2 games will tell us an immense amount about the rest of the season. I'd take the over (just over) at 7 wins.

"Do we do any better than last year with a much more experienced" "QUARTERBACK".

My prediction:

Wyoming - W
@ Iowa State - W (not sure they can stop our run game)
North Texas - W
PSU - L (their QB and RB tandem. Will we have extra motivation to avenge last year's embarrassment?)
@MSU - W (so many suspended and team in turmoil?)
Illinois - W (because they are Illinois)
@Northwestern - L
Minnesota - W
Ohio State - L (they have tended to find a way at the end to beat us). & JT Barrett.
@Wisconsin - L
Purdue - W (our natural rival. We shall win. We have to have our last game of season in Kinnick be Purdue??????)
@Nebraska - L (key here is who is left standing on both sides after a long tough season?)

With our schedule 6.5 seems right to me but new QB and new OC would scare me away from betting either way. Too many question marks.

Last edited:
Wyoming - W (tossup)
@ Iowa State - L (Cyclones really gunning/hungry for this one)
North Texas - W (baaaaddd team)
PSU - W (best win of season; motivation from previous season beat-down pays off)
@MSU - L (road game woes)
Illinois - W (but close)
@Northwestern - L (Wildcats thrive on great coaching)
Minnesota - W (tossup)
Ohio State - L (not even close)
@Wisconsin - L (Badgers just plain better .... ugghhh)
Purdue - W (because it's Purdon't)
@Nebraska - L (Bugeaters get revenge)

That would be a super average 6-6 with a very, very minor bowl game against lowly competition that just might be beatable, for a change.

Nebraska will find a way to have around 8, maybe 9 wins just like last year. Think some underestimate the new QB or think it's a negative factor. We'll see....The new defense under Diaco could go two ways in the transition to a 3-4, good or bad. Not much info to know either way right now. Basically, most people, including Nebraska fans, don't really know what to expect, but there is talent on that roster and 6 wins would be highly disappointing.

Pound the over and hedge the last couple games. We're either going to easily get there or you'll be able to go against it at the end of the year

New position coaches, O Coordinator, QB, no Dez King or receivers. I still think they go over, if they look anything like the spring game, it could also be a train wreck

We might, but its hardly a lock as you are suggesting. Wyoming will be tough with a projected top 5 pick in the 2018 NFL draft, @ ISU hasn't been easy for nearly two decades, PSU, @ MSU, @NW, O$U, @ Wisconsin, @ Nebby...those are 8 games that seem no better than a toss up while some of them we will be heavy underdogs.
So again, taking the over is hardly easy money, at least in my opinion.
Jeesus...the QB for Wyoming is so vastly over rated....look at his numbers. Completed 56% of passes and threw 15 picks against a garbage schedule. If those don't get you...look at their defensive numbers. He has the measurables and throws a nice ball (to the other team a LOT)

I'd take Neb with under 6 wins in a heartbeat! They feel like a 3-4 win team to me.
Love that you hate the huskers more than you like the hawks. Black Friday will routinely be the iowa superbowl, but history shows huskers will continue to win 2/3 of the games. Husker fans feel the same about iowa fan as typical iowa fans feel about ISU fan. Unfortunately, just like Iowa team has a hard time getting into the hawk/cyclone game, the husker football team has a hard time getting motivated for the Iowa Super Bowl on Black Friday.

Love that you hate the huskers more than you like the hawks. Black Friday will routinely be the iowa superbowl, but history shows huskers will continue to win 2/3 of the games. Husker fans feel the same about iowa fan as typical iowa fans feel about ISU fan. Unfortunately, just like Iowa team has a hard time getting into the hawk/cyclone game, the husker football team has a hard time getting motivated for the Iowa Super Bowl on Black Friday.
Except ISU doesn't blow Iowa out every year and go to better bowl games.

Iowa fans aren't saying Nebraska is going to have 6 wins. Vegas is, and a couple other sport projection websites. If you would hit pause on YouTube from watching 1996 Husker games you would know this.

Except ISU doesn't blow Iowa out every year and go to better bowl games.

Iowa fans aren't saying Nebraska is going to have 6 wins. Vegas is, and a couple other sport projection websites. If you would hit pause on YouTube from watching 1996 Husker games you would know this.
I am responding specifically to RMH. I know Iowa woulda, coulda, shoulda won something significant in CFB history and at least they beat neb by a lot in 2016 during iowa super bowl,I get it, i've heard all the tired retorts before.

I love that you love the Hawks more than you love Neb! I mean, why else be on a Hawkeye message board? Unless you're spying on big bro's fans. And we both know that would be just plain weird.

I love that you love the Hawks more than you love Neb! I mean, why else be on a Hawkeye message board? Unless you're spying on big bro's fans. And we both know that would be just plain weird.
Hawks hardly hold claim as "big bro" in Iowa much less anywhere else. Iowa football, now that's a real cute program. Neb will continue to win 2/3 of the Iowa/neb series just like Iowa will continue to win 2/3 against isu. Iowa will also continue to rise up and occasionally beat better teams and occasionally lose to lesser teams, hawk football is nothing if not predictable.

Hawks hardly hold claim as "big bro" in Iowa much less anywhere else. Iowa football, now that's a real cute program. Neb will continue to win 2/3 of the Iowa/neb series just like Iowa will continue to win 2/3 against isu. Iowa will also continue to rise up and occasionally beat better teams and occasionally lose to lesser teams, hawk football is nothing if not predictable.
Predictably better than Neb. I figured Iowa would win 60-70% of the time against Neb once they joined the B1G. Looking like that's going to come true. You're probably our 2nd toughest lil bro program that we play though. Right behind NW. The Wildcats give us fits.

70 points you gave up. How embarrassing for our conference. Well the good thing is you won't be back there again.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Predictably better than Neb. I figured Iowa would win 60-70% of the time against Neb once they joined the B1G. Looking like that's going to come true. You're probably our 2nd toughest lil bro program that we play though. Right behind NW. The Wildcats give us fits.
Keep yapping lil sis. You're just a little angry due to the fact that neb has supplanted Iowa in the big ten heirarchy.

Iowa football, the sneaky little brother of CFB, will rise up and occasionally beat superior teams and then claim greatness.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT