ADVERTISEMENT

Colonoscopy Prep

Yeah I've had several colonoscopies since then and I've never had another instance where I remembered anything beyond them dosing me up and maybe a minute or two after that.
He was referring to the WOB in your previous post.

Reactions: Joes Place
U of Utah cancer says 6%.
Mayo says app 4% adn I think is doing another study as to how/why..

There's no debate that colonoscopy is still the most effective screening exam for colon cancer. The first-rate exam not only detects colon cancers with about 98% accuracy, but it also allows doctors to remove precancerous and cancerous polyps during the procedure.

And, as already noted for you, that INCLUDES pre-cancerous polyps. Cologuard is about 50/50 at detecting those. Which is why it would be more appropriate as an annual check, but the false-positive rates are really too high to make that practical.

There's no debate that colonoscopy is still the most effective screening exam for colon cancer. The first-rate exam not only detects colon cancers with about 98% accuracy, but it also allows doctors to remove precancerous and cancerous polyps during the procedure.

And, as already noted for you, that INCLUDES pre-cancerous polyps. Cologuard is about 50/50 at detecting those. Which is why it would be more appropriate as an annual check, but the false-positive rates are really too high to make that practical.
I think it’s actually even less than 50/50. Cologuard only detects about 42% of large precancerous polyps, and it doesn’t detect small early-stage polyps at all.

Cologuard is better than doing nothing at all but a colonoscopy is the best way to detect and remove polyps by a very wide margin.

Mrs. Aardvark is a nurse, and just before Covid, was working at an endoscopy center doing recovery. Had one typically Northern Virginia woman come in and insist that she was all about "natural" this and that, and accordingly, refused anesthesia.

That apparently lasted about 20 seconds.

Her husband, in the waiting room, just sat there shaking his head.

• Wow

This. Really people, it's just not that big an inconvenience, and having watched my father in law pass from colon cancer, just get the procedure.

The worst part of the whole thing is sitting on yhe toilet while still trying to suck down the rest of the "prep". Liquid coming out one end while forcing yourself to drink more liquid that doesn't seem like it will fit.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Mrs. Aardvark is a nurse, and just before Covid, was working at an endoscopy center doing recovery. Had one typically Northern Virginia woman come in and insist that she was all about "natural" this and that, and accordingly, refused anesthesia.

That apparently lasted about 20 seconds.

Her husband, in the waiting room, just sat there shaking his head.

I did one without the sedation - it was my version of a polar bear plunge. My doctor said they get about one person a week that goes al natural. It was just fine until the doctor (& nurse) warned me "we're going around the bend," - then it got hairy. I started cramping a little. But, I survived.

Last edited:
  • Wow
I did one without the sedation - it was my version of a polar bear plunge. My doctor said they get about one person a week that goes au natural. It was just fine until the doctor (& nurse) warned me "we're going around the bend," - then it got hairy. I started cramping a little. But, I survived.

This. Really people, it's just not that big an inconvenience, and having watched my father in law pass from colon cancer, just get the procedure.
The procedure itself really is nothing. I just had mine a couple of weeks ago. The prep really was the annoying part, especially the last 8 hours.

Reactions: Aardvark86
I did one without the sedation - it was my version of a polar bear plunge. My doctor said they get about one person a week that goes al natural. It was just fine until the doctor (& nurse) warned me "we're going around the bend," - then it got hairy. I started cramping a little. But, I survived.
just don't clench.

Um.... why would you do that? You said like polar bear plunge. I don't think that's a close comparison.

Reactions: goldmom
About to start my prep for tomorrow. This will be my second (last one was about 13 years ago).

joker+here+we+go+gif.gif

Two tears in the colon, heat repaired, fixed that problem but needed another colonoscopy 3 months. later.

About to start my prep for tomorrow. This will be my second (last one was about 13 years ago).

joker+here+we+go+gif.gif
I had my first colonoscopy a few weeks ago. Honestly, the prep wasn’t that bad. Had two 8 or 12 oz bottles of Clenpiq. One at 5pm the other at 9pm. Chugged each one. Didn’t have to do the all day prep, which was good. The hardest part was not eating all day.

They did find 6 polyps. 2 of which were of the pre-cancerous variety (adenomas I believe). Both my parents have had polyps so history isn’t in my favor. Doctor said it was very good I came in when I did as I’m 48. He did say next one needs to be done in 3 years. After my experience I encourage anyone over 45, who hasn’t had one, to get one

I am 46. Haven't done that or prostate exam. Putting both off.
Don’t put it off, I’m just speaking from a personal experience and not looking for sympathy. I am 40 years old and have been dealing with a stomach issue for the past several months. Doctors thought it was acid issues at first and then maybe my gallbladder. I went to a general surgeon and they did an uppper and lower scope….I was diagnosed with stomach cancer a few days later.

The prep itself was not that bad. Gross to have to drink a bunch of stuff before hand and you are like Jeff Daniels on dumb and dumber for a bit but the process really isn’t that bad.

Don’t put it off, I’m just speaking from a personal experience and not looking for sympathy. I am 40 years old and have been dealing with a stomach issue for the past several months. Doctors thought it was acid issues at first and then maybe my gallbladder. I went to a general surgeon and they did an uppper and lower scope….I was diagnosed with stomach cancer a few days later.

The prep itself was not that bad. Gross to have to drink a bunch of stuff before hand and you are like Jeff Daniels on dumb and dumber for a bit but the process really isn’t that bad.
Hope your recovery process is 100% successful.

Jesus! Hope they got / caught it all. Good luck on recovery.

All this talk is making me thing I need to just step up and do mine!

Reactions: GOHOX69 and goldmom
Had my first colonoscopy today and the prep was not as bad as I thought. Basically mixed Miralax with Gatorade and took a few Dulcolax pills. Other than having to run to the toilet several times last night it was not that bad. The procedure itself was a breeze, they wheeled me into the procedure room and next thing I remember is waking up and it was all over. Thankfully, no polyps were found and everything looked normal.

Having lost my Dad and Aunt (his sister) to colon cancer recently this was something I could not put off any longer. Glad I finally got some peace of mind.

Had my first colonoscopy today and the prep was not as bad as I thought. Basically mixed Miralax with Gatorade and took a few Dulcolax pills. Other than having to run to the toilet several times last night it was not that bad. The procedure itself was a breeze, they wheeled me into the procedure room and next thing I remember is waking up and it was all over. Thankfully, no polyps were found and everything looked normal.

Having lost my Dad and Aunt (his sister) to colon cancer recently this was something I could not put off any longer. Glad I finally got some peace of mind.
That was my prep routine too. It wasn’t as bad as the way it was done my last time.
I got an all clear and I’m glad to hear you did too!

Reactions: franklinman
That was my prep routine too. It wasn’t as bad as the way it was done my last time.
I got an all clear and I’m glad to hear you did too!
Same here, much better than the Moviprep I did 13 years ago. The anesthetic was different, too. One moment, the nurse was injecting the anesthetic, the next moment my wife was holding my hand as I woke up.
Two polyps removed.

I took the pills and it was pretty simple. Better than drinking all that liquid.

ADVERTISEMENT