ADVERTISEMENT

Column: College Basketball is good if you're talking about the women's game

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
This is a column from a longtime writer for the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Men's college basketball had its glory days. Now move over for the women

DECEMBER 5, 2023 — 8:32PM

merlin_70095473.jpg

Iowa star Caitlin Clark, shown leading the Hawkeyes last March in the Big Ten tournament at Target Center, is one of the biggest names in all of college basketball.

Patrick Reusse
Patrick Reusse
Minneapolis Star Tribune

The NCAA men's basketball tournament came to the Minneapolis Metrodome for the first time in 1986. It was the second tournament with a 64-team bracket, the first with a shot clock (45 seconds) and the last without the three-point shot.

This first- and second- round play started by being part of one of the greatest days in college basketball history: March 15, 1986.

Cleveland State opened with an 83-79 victory over Indiana and Bobby Knight in Syracuse, N.Y. Then Arkansas-Little Rock — with coach Mike Newell and his perfect tan and a No. 14 seed like Cleveland State — defeated Notre Dame and Digger Phelps 90-83, right here in our one true Dome.

Our guy Sid Hartman was rattled. Not only had his pal Bobby lost in shocking fashion, but Notre Dame — where he was on a first-name basis for decades with the priestly powers, Theodore Hesburgh and Edmund Joyce — had lost to take significant pizazz from the Minneapolis bracket.

N.C. State then faced Little Rock in the second round. Wolfpack coach Jim Valvano had gone through a season of headlines concerning academic shortcomings and a free stereo or two for the athletes.

Sid was not deterred by this at the next day's news conference, complaining to Valvano about schools such as Arkansas-Little Rock and Cleveland State, with little academic standing, getting to play honorable academic institutions such as Indiana, Notre Dame and N.C. State.

Valvano said to Sid: "Are you saying, sir, that our academic requirements at North Carolina State are too tough?"

And then he looked toward a media group that included many from ACC country and bellowed: "I love this man!"

Three years later, we had a regional here that could have been a Final Four:

Syracuse with Derrick Coleman, Sherman Douglas and Stephen Thompson; Louisville with Pervis Ellison, Kenny Payne and Felton Spencer; Missouri with Doug Smith and Anthony Peeler; and Illinois with Kendall Gill, Kenny Battle and Nick Anderson, to name a few.

Illinois 89, Syracuse 86, in an epic regional final that left Gill bloodied from a lip wound but heroic.

College basketball was so good back then.

College basketball was so good the night in 1992 when I was covering a regional in Lexington, Ky., and the hometown Wildcats were up in Philly playing Duke. Christian Laettner hit the buzzer-beater to win it 104-103 in overtime that qualifies as the most infamous shot in NCAA tournament history, and from my room on a high floor, I could hear the anguished cries from Wildcats fans down below in bars and restaurants.

College basketball was so good in 1997 in San Antonio, when Bobby Jackson played 49 magnificent minutes, a large share with four fouls, and weaved and willed the Gophers to a 90-84 win in double overtime over Clemson in the Sweet Sixteen.

My all-time favorite Gophers game among many, that one.

College basketball was so good.

And it remains that way — if you're talking about the women's game.

There will be a Barn-busting crowd this winter. That's guaranteed already for Feb. 28, when Caitlin Clark and the Iowa Hawkeyes end their regular season here.

Clark and LSU's Angel Reese are the two biggest names in all of college hoops at this moment. And Paige Bueckers, from Hopkins to Connecticut, is also high up there — and already has put this season's largest basketball audience into Williams Arena.

The men's teams no longer stay together long enough to become legendary. Gonzaga had that 31-0 team in 2020-21 before losing 86-70 in the title game to Baylor.

Chet Holmgren was arriving from Minnehaha Academy, where he could play with rising sophomore star and high school teammate Jalen Suggs. Take another swing at the title, Zags? Maybe two decades ago. Not now. Suggs did the wise thing, entered the NBA draft after one college season and went fifth overall to Orlando. He's now well-paid and important on a club showing potential for large NBA success. Holmgren left after one year as well, going No. 2 overall in the draft to Oklahoma City.

It's not just leaving early. There are also outstanding prospects not stopping at college, just spending a year before the draft in the G-League. Or Australia. Or maybe Europe, where four of the NBA's past five MVPs (Nikola Jokic and Giannis Antetokounmpo) learned the game.

The top of the men's college game has turned into such a muddled mess of mediocrity (at best) that the UConn Huskies, a fourth-place team in the Big East, got hot and went through the 2023 NCAA tournament like a UCLA dynasty team.

And I would add this:

To those addicted to responding to praise for the NBA product by countering with, "I prefer the college game because they play defense," most often what you're seeing is poor shooting, not stout defense.

Patrick Reusse is a sports columnist who writes three columns per week. Write to Patrick by e-mailing sports@startribune.com and including his name in the subject line.

612-673-7129

I agree with this article. I watch more of the Iowa women than men. I think the women’s game is better.

Watch any men’s game and you see sloppy passing and crazy shots. Younger rosters and it shows. No cohesion. Looking more like the dismal NBA.
Save here

Women’s game is more pure for me, maybe because it’s more how I play. Missed layups and no dunking 😎

Men's college basketball isn't nearly as good as it once was.

I have no idea though how anyone could possibly say women's basketball provides a better on-court product than the men's game

Last edited:
Men's college basketball isn't nearly as good as it once was.

I have no idea though how anyone could possibly say women's basketball provides a better on-court product than the men's game
It is like going to a decent boy's H.S. game.

My kids are only familiar with Perk and McCaffrey on the men'steam yet they can recite the starting 5 on the women's team.

• Haha
Reactions: bIhawk
Please the women's game is literally played at the level of boy's high school basketball. Elite women's college basketball teams practice against college boys who weren't good enough to play college basketball. Why, because if they can beat a team of non-scholarship males, they will be a top women's college team. There may be more well-known stars at the women's level but that's because the teams aren't very good, so the media concentrates on reporting on the four or five top female players. Players that would never make a Power 5 men's team.

I agree with this article. I watch more of the Iowa women than men. I think the women’s game is better.

Watch any men’s game and you see sloppy passing and crazy shots. Younger rosters and it shows. No cohesion. Looking more like the dismal NBA.
Well it certainly is better when you compare the Iowa women's team to the men's team, although that really isn't a fair comparison since the women's team has a generational player set to change how women's basketball is looked at for years to come.

like bio said, you think the women's game is better because you are comparing iowa women's to iowa men's games. if we were purdue you wouldn't say that.

Reactions: Fan In Black
No. I’m not comparing Iowa women to Iowa men. I’ve watched more women’s games than men’s games the women play more a sound game …
Sound as in not playing physical or as mentally tough? Sound as in blowing layups? Sound as in less boxing out and less hustle? Sound as in weak passes? Sound as in limited athleticism? Sound as in worse at pretty much every part of defense? Sound as in less court awareness? Sounds like a load of crap.

You can use the word "sound", or spin it however you want. Nothing against the women's game. But the point is a simple one. The better basketball is being played in the men's game

Sound as in not playing physical or as mentally tough? Sound as in blowing layups? Sound as in less boxing out and less hustle? Sound as in weak passes? Sound as in limited athleticism? Sound as in worse at pretty much every part of defense? Sound as in less court awareness? Sounds like a load of crap.

You can use the word "sound", or spin it however you want. Nothing against the women's game. But the point is a simple one. The better basketball is being played in the men's game
But the women ARE more fun to watch- fast pace, few tv timeouts, few diva coaches, they look like they are having more fun, more team and less me.

Reactions: shikreto
But the women ARE more fun to watch- fast pace, few tv timeouts, few diva coaches, they look like they are having more fun, more team and less me.
That's your opinion, which is fine.

It happens to not be an opinion that I and most of the sports world share

Reactions: bIhawk

Okay, well you spin it how you want and enjoy the men’s game…

Okay, well you spin it how you want and enjoy the men’s game…
I enjoy both the men's and the women's games. Different games that both have something unique to offer and are both enjoyable.

I just enjoy the men's game better in large part because of the better on-court product

Reactions: Rustys Dad
Women’s game will never be better than men's. Such an anwful take. Even watching top 5 Iowa team last night was painful seeing all the missed easy shots compared to a men’s game. Skill level not even in the same planet. It is why groups of college guys who practice against women’s teams beat them almost all the time.

Reactions: Underscore2

I know you weren't intending to but you just accurately described the Iowa men tonight.

Reactions: Whinny
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT