ADVERTISEMENT

Comments about offensive line play in the spring game?

It amazes me how year after year this happens. Padilla got his chance last year and looked subpar. Deuce was so bad Kirk was cracking jokes about having to play him. Duece didnt even secure a scholarship at his transfer destination, that tells me plenty. But there I was in Orlando talking to fans who were hell bent that Kirk ran off the next Peyton Manning because of a stupid comment.
And Petras was invited to be a counselor at the Manning camp this year, right?

I've never been sold on Plumb. He just doesn't look like he is trying to be better.

I am sure he is trying hard but from watching him last year his first kickout move with his right leg in pass protection is just maybe slower than it needs to be. If you cant take that step quickly you cant get into a balanced athletic position to take on the rusher. I am sure the coaches can see and evaluate that. Perhaps Plumb is a better RUN blocking RTackle than any other guy at that position so they start him knowing they need to run the ball first .

What matters is who played against which team, not your effing opinion about whether the 2nd team D is better than the 1st team O.

I have a feeling that we'll eventually see all 3 qbs this fall playing with the 1st team offense but against opponents' 1st team defenses unless 1 of the 3 Iowa QBs can establish themself. Then this will be answered for all. As of now, we are right where we were last year. Some posters were calling for Padilla until he didn't do so well. Now it's Labas. Maybe the staff knows more than you do? I know that I trust them more than any dipshit poster on this board, myself included. You're delusional if you think otherwise.
I am sure Budmyaer (spelling) has seen enough of the 3 qbs that he knows way more about them than all of us on this board added together. I have been reading, watching, and studying the golf swing and grip a lot for over 60 years and I know a lot of the intricacies of it. I only know a few intricacies of the passing motion and form from doing it in general and listening to game analysts.

It amazes me how year after year this happens. Padilla got his chance last year and looked subpar. Deuce was so bad Kirk was cracking jokes about having to play him. Duece didnt even secure a scholarship at his transfer destination, that tells me plenty. But there I was in Orlando talking to fans who were hell bent that Kirk ran off the next Peyton Manning because of a stupid comment.

Hear, here…..it is Astronomical how stubbornly stupid they are. With that said, it is also why the media, liberal or conservative have such a grip on people….

This guy in particular, is as incapable of individual thought as any I’ve encountered

Reactions: F5n5 and Pawkhawk1
Wasn't it Mahomes?

What matters is who played against which team, not your effing opinion about whether the 2nd team D is better than the 1st team O.

I have a feeling that we'll eventually see all 3 qbs this fall playing with the 1st team offense but against opponents' 1st team defenses unless 1 of the 3 Iowa QBs can establish themself. Then this will be answered for all. As of now, we are right where we were last year. Some posters were calling for Padilla until he didn't do so well. Now it's Labas. Maybe the staff knows more than you do? I know that I trust them more than any dipshit poster on this board, myself included. You're delusional if you think otherwise.
Ya all the Big Ten Championships and strong Rose Bowl showings clearly point this out.

Reactions: Hawkdome

I’m wondering if the laundry list of injured players disrupted any possible plans to see all 3 QBs run a series with the 1s. Abbreviated spring practice so not as many reps overall that I was expecting.

Reactions: BBHawk
hard to imagine them being much worse than last year
Yeah, because even with an all American they were straight up dogshit. But I could see it being similar or even slightly worse. Who needs the transfer portal with these proven studs

How did we go from having a dominant OL... it's traditionally been one of the best units of the team... to this weak?

How did we go from having a dominant OL... it's traditionally been one of the best units of the team... to this weak?
There will be debate on the last time Iowa had a dominant OL. The statistics say it’s been awhile. Others will say ‘Joe Moore award’. In general Iowa has a good-very good lineman(2) but the OL as a unit is less than dominant.

There will be debate on the last time Iowa had a dominant OL. The statistics say it’s been awhile. Others will say ‘Joe Moore award’. In general Iowa has a good-very good lineman(2) but the OL as a unit is less than dominant.
Perhaps not "dominant" but we've had good enough lines to anchor the team. The last couple of years we've gotten pushed around a bit more than usual.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
I’d say 2008-09 was the last truly “dominant” line we’ve had. 2019 was awfully good imo. Last year was bad due to Kallenberger quitting football, Schott issuing a month and Ince battling injuries all year so the line was shuffling lineups all season and we were throwing out guys like Richman and Colby who probably played a year too soon. Plumb struggled, but it didn’t help him that Iowa could rarely afford to have someone help him out because other guys were worse off. And another guy, Justin Britt, has just never been healthy, who came in as a highly touted OL recruit. I think we also underrated replacing the OL coach as well.

I think the line was more raw than weak imo. Colby especially played, but Davidkov and Stephens both came in as 4* recruits.

Observations from video.

Why don't they move Colby to rt and let him settle in there. Plumb did not look improved, small sample size I know.

Davidkov looked good to me. Again small sample size and who knows what the pass pro is like. I've given up on Britt.

If Jones is our guy at center then I hope they stick with Elsbury at one of the guard spots. Let him settle in there, I thought he was one of the best ol prospects in the midwest that year.

Richman is a good one...he will be better this year.

Richman
Elsbury
Jones
DD
Colby
They said they have been using Colby more near the end of Spring at RT.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I’d say 2008-09 was the last truly “dominant” line we’ve had. 2019 was awfully good imo. Last year was bad due to Kallenberger quitting football, Schott issuing a month and Ince battling injuries all year so the line was shuffling lineups all season and we were throwing out guys like Richman and Colby who probably played a year too soon. Plumb struggled, but it didn’t help him that Iowa could rarely afford to have someone help him out because other guys were worse off. And another guy, Justin Britt, has just never been healthy, who came in as a highly touted OL recruit. I think we also underrated replacing the OL coach as well.

I think the line was more raw than weak imo. Colby especially played, but Davidkov and Stephens both came in as 4* recruits.

@HawkOn15 , why was this funny?

The O-Line has to play better this season. I am tired of the Defense shouldering the load most of the time. If the Offense and the O-Line does not improve it is time for some house cleaning in Iowa City.

Reactions: Hawkdome
You are completely disregarding our OLs from 15, 16, and 20.
I think those lines were good, but not dominant. I also goofed and said ‘19 when I meant ‘20.

I have a high bar for “dominant lines”. I think that’s something that few teams nationwide manage to reach every year. Main reason I can’t quite label ‘20 as dominant is that it was a shortened season so we didn’t get the full look at them we normally would.

I believe if Mahomes came in as an undercover transfer, no one knew who he was, he would ride the pine behind Petras.

Then that makes you dumb and as it turns out easy to trick… I’d like to have a meeting with you. I’ve got a few things I’d like to sell and I think you’re a good candidate. My office is open 8 to 430 when can we get together?

I think those lines were good, but not dominant. I also goofed and said ‘19 when I meant ‘20.

I have a high bar for “dominant lines”. I think that’s something that few teams nationwide manage to reach every year. Main reason I can’t quite label ‘20 as dominant is that it was a shortened season so we didn’t get the full look at them we normally would.
What makes good/dominant? rush yards? YPC? Sacks? lack of penalties? Short yardage conversions?

Ya all the Big Ten Championships and strong Rose Bowl showings clearly point this out.

Its getting to the point with douche bag fans like the above; we need to start hoping for 6–6 type seasons. Maybe then we can chase off some of these jack wagon‘s who don’t appreciate where we’re at.

Hell we are getting to the point we are like Nebraska fans….

You would think we have a full history of national championships and now people are pissed because we can only win 9 or 10 games.

I mean they are truly idiots!

What makes good/dominant? rush yards? YPC? Sacks? lack of penalties? Short yardage conversions?

I mean, yes? Idk if I have set criteria and that’s what makes stuff like this fun to discuss. I look at the lines in 08 and 02. Those guys did whatever they wanted against every opponent-one of my favorite memories in 02 was against Buffalo the line had pushed buffalos guys back 10 yards before Russell even got to the LOS, or not facing a 3rd down against Minnesota until halfway thru the 2nd quarter.

I can’t quite get there with the ‘15 line for example, which had great team chemistry in the o line, but to me wasn’t the most talented.

Akrum averaged more YPC in 2016 than Green did in 2008. Put green on the 2016 team and he averages nearly 7 YPC.

Akrum averaged more YPC in 2016 than Green did in 2008. Put green on the 2016 team and he averages nearly 7 YPC.
Right. But that’s not the only metric involved to me. I think that line was really good, but they also failed to control the trenches vs NDSU that year as well.

Reactions: amahawk
well I've never seen one of them play so I agree 100%.

if this staff doesn't find a better qb than we had last year, someone needs fired is all I know. To not even get a transfer, they'd better know something nobody here knows!

Either way, who played with 1 2 or 3 doesn't really mean anything right now, so why ask?
My lord. Every time you make the dumbest post in HR history, you find a way to one up yourself. Get a grip. No one is getting fired.

Reactions: F5n5 and PIEPI
Who were our 6th, 7th, and 8th lineman in 2008 than?

Some good guys on the line. Eubanks, James Ferentz, Gettis, Calloway, Olson, Bulaga, Doering, Tobin. Several had cups of coffee in the NFL off that depth chart.

Some good guys on the line. Eubanks, James Ferentz, Gettis, Calloway, Olson, Bulaga, Doering, Tobin. Several had cups of coffee in the NFL off that depth chart.
Yes a guy like Matt Tobin who was listed at 6-8 225 was a good reserve as he was RS as a walk on true freshman. You can’t say they had good depth when 4 of the guys you listed were not close to seeing any first team reps that year. You didn’t even list the entire starting OL.

Yes a guy like Matt Tobin who was listed at 6-8 225 was a good reserve as he was RS as a walk on true freshman. You can’t say they had good depth when 4 of the guys you listed were not close to seeing any first team reps that year. You didn’t even list the entire starting OL.
If you can find a two deeps from that season I’d appreciate it. I recognized most of the linemen listed on that roster list as guys who ultimately did start or play at some point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT