ADVERTISEMENT

Comments about offensive line play in the spring game?

BBHawk

HR Legend
Oct 31, 2001
Iowa City
I wasn't able to attend and the spring game tidbits thread has devolved into an unrelated qb pissing match. For anyone who attended, how did the offensive line play look?

I thought very bad early on, but improved as the day went along. A very short day, and a very odd spring scrimmage in my view.

The LT got beat a couple of times. It was difficult to see players numbers so I don’t know if the 1’s shifted positions. I don’t think so.

The second series for the 1’s I thought their leverage was better. But again, this is the oddest scrimmage I’ve ever seen. We were constantly asking who was out here. I’m not sure if the player’s numbers were smaller, or the sun impacted it or what, but the guys around us were constantly asking also, so it just wasn’t us.

oline Improved as the day went along was my takeaway. I understand what defense they were matched up against.

It’s hard to tell from spring scrimmage, but this spring scrimmage was especially difficult to tell anything for a variety of reasons. Normally there is one or two takeaways. Today it was hard tk tell who was playing here. It started late. It was shortened. They shows less then I’ve ever seen at a spring scrimmage, and I would have thought that to be impossible. When there where pre snap penalties assistant coaches were in the backfield/huddle. There were two series for 1’s, 2’s and 3’s, and done. I was on my car shortly after 11AM.

Apologize for grammar and spelling errors. iPhone autocorrect.

I thought very bad early on, but improved as the day went along. A very short day, and a very odd spring scrimmage in my view.

The LT got beat a couple of times. It was difficult to see players numbers so I don’t know if the 1’s shifted positions. I don’t think so.

The second series for the 1’s I thought their leverage was better. But again, this is the oddest scrimmage I’ve ever seen. We were constantly asking who was out here. I’m not sure if the player’s numbers were smaller, or the sun impacted it or what, but the guys around us were constantly asking also, so it just wasn’t us.

oline Improved as the day went along was my takeaway. I understand what defense they were matched up against.

It’s hard to tell from spring scrimmage, but this spring scrimmage was especially difficult to tell anything for a variety of reasons. Normally there is one or two takeaways. Today it was hard tk tell who was playing here. It started late. It was shortened. They shows less then I’ve ever seen at a spring scrimmage, and I would have thought that to be impossible. When there where pre snap penalties assistant coaches were in the backfield/huddle. There were two series for 1’s, 2’s and 3’s, and done. I was on my car shortly after 11AM.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!

I kind of thought that with a offensive line still gelling, the 1s on 1s would be tough on the offense. Sounds like it showed. Given that, I hope that the summer open practice(s?) show more cohesiveness on the oline. That'll give us a better idea of how things will go this fall.

Was it cut short because people were cheering for Joey Throws?

I kid. Kinda.

Reactions: Hawk94Mn
Connor Colby and Logan Jones were pretty sound. I am not sold on plumb, I think he got beat 4 times today. Richman had improved. 2nd team o line wasn’t bad.
Plumb is simply too, much too slow for a tackle. Won't be shocked to see Davidkov will take that spot.

How did Stephens look, for any who say?

Did Joe play against the #1 defense?

Maybe there's a reason for that?

I have no idea. I was busy losing and not at the game. I was referring to all the comments about Petras getting unfair criticism and KF saying that Labas will be the #1 QB until he becomes the starter.

I have no idea. I was busy losing and not at the game. I was referring to all the comments about Petras getting unfair criticism and KF saying that Labas will be the #1 QB until he becomes the starter.
Ferentz won't allow Lanes to start because it would prove himself wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: Hwk-I-St8
Plumb is simply too, much too slow for a tackle. Won't be shocked to see Davidkov will take that spot.

How did Stephens look, for any who say?

Observations from video.

Why don't they move Colby to rt and let him settle in there. Plumb did not look improved, small sample size I know.

Davidkov looked good to me. Again small sample size and who knows what the pass pro is like. I've given up on Britt.

If Jones is our guy at center then I hope they stick with Elsbury at one of the guard spots. Let him settle in there, I thought he was one of the best ol prospects in the midwest that year.

Richman is a good one...he will be better this year.

Richman
Elsbury
Jones
DD
Colby

Why am I thinking that in years passed that when the o-line was solid-to-great that they likely looked at least solid in the spring? That seems like a unit that shouldn’t look as rough as it sounds like they did yesterday if it’s going to be something we don’t have to worry about in the fall.
I get there’s a lot of new pieces to the puzzle but shouldn’t they at least appear to be more than competent? Just sayin.

Last edited:
Why am I thinking that in years passed that when the o-line was solid-to-great that they likely looked at least solid in the spring? That seems like a unit that shouldn’t look as rough as it sounds like they did yesterday if it’s going to be something we don’t have tot worry about in the fall.
I get there’s a lot of new pieces to the puzzle but shouldn’t they at least appear to be more than competent? Just sayin.
We'll see. I think our DL will be VERY good this year, so that could certainly have something to do with it. On top of that it sounds like the number of walking wounded this spring has made it nearly impossible for the offense to get into a rythem. This is way more important for the offense then the defense, where in a controlled environment like this you can just pin your ears back an attack...

It’s always tough to evaluate OL in scrimmages. I played OL in Hs and 2 different colleges and every year we’d look bad against the DL in scrimmages. The reason is the DL and really the defense knows most of your plays. I also think offense takes more time to get into a cohesive rhythm which also gives the defense an advantage.

Having said that, I think you can still evaluate one on one battles and am curious to see how they looked. IMO the biggest issue last year outside of QB play was our OT’s, which also factored into poor QB play. I’m really holping Colby, Britt and Richman make some major strides.

Reactions: dbrocket
It’s always tough to evaluate OL in scrimmages. I played OL in Hs and 2 different colleges and every year we’d look bad against the DL in scrimmages. The reason is the DL and really the defense knows most of your plays. I also think offense takes more time to get into a cohesive rhythm which also gives the defense an advantage.

Having said that, I think you can still evaluate one on one battles and am curious to see how they looked. IMO the biggest issue last year outside of QB play was our OT’s, which also factored into poor QB play. I’m really holping Colby, Britt and Richman make some major strides.
Well 2 out of three anyway. I doubt Britt every see's regular play. To this point he appears to be one of those guys we've seen before who just can't shake the injury bug. This has been every one of his three years here so far. I think Richman and Colby for sure will be markedly more ready for primetime this season. Obviously we need either Jones or Elsbury to take hold of that center spot. I'd look for a big jump from Stephens and Davidkov for playing time as well.

Why am I thinking that in years passed that when the o-line was solid-to-great that they likely looked at least solid in the spring? That seems like a unit that shouldn’t look as rough as it sounds like they did yesterday if it’s going to be something we don’t have tot worry about in the fall.
A lot of injuries to experienced and talented offensive linemen. New centers (because of injuries) make a difference, too. Who was making the calls? Lindy has been doing it for so long that it's scary to think that someone else is stepping into that role.

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
Well 2 out of three anyway. I doubt Britt every see's regular play. To this point he appears to be one of those guys we've seen before who just can't shake the injury bug. This has been every one of his three years here so far. I think Richman and Colby for sure will be markedly more ready for primetime this season. Obviously we need either Jones or Elsbury to take hold of that center spot. I'd look for a big jump from Stephens and Davidkov for playing time as well.
Britts listed as a starter on the depth chart. Is he injured already?

Good points mlb. Also, KF knows the bad guys have coaches in the stands at an open practice. Good chance that Minny, Wisconsin and ISU had coaches up there. Illinois isn't far away, Northwestern and Nebraska (NU and UN) could have been there too. You can keep it vanilla and still get a lot of work in.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Ferentz won't allow Lanes to start because it would prove himself wrong.

The most remarkable thing about comments like these are the total lack of understanding on how the social dynamic of a team/working environment works….

A guy who doesn’t play or use his best employees or players in the best positions doesn’t continue to improve into his 23rd or fourth year. I mean it’s not the kind of comment a reasonably intelligent person would make because they would immediately be aware that it made them look stupid.

O line looked bad in 2015 spring scrimmage, and turned out ok. My instinct is that they're improved this year from what I saw. That they looked rough isn't surprising in the spring.
hard to imagine them being much worse than last year

you keep asking who played which team, so you tell us??
What matters is who played against which team, not your effing opinion about whether the 2nd team D is better than the 1st team O.

I have a feeling that we'll eventually see all 3 qbs this fall playing with the 1st team offense but against opponents' 1st team defenses unless 1 of the 3 Iowa QBs can establish themself. Then this will be answered for all. As of now, we are right where we were last year. Some posters were calling for Padilla until he didn't do so well. Now it's Labas. Maybe the staff knows more than you do? I know that I trust them more than any dipshit poster on this board, myself included. You're delusional if you think otherwise.

What matters is who played against which team, not your effing opinion about whether the 2nd team D is better than the 1st team O.

I have a feeling that we'll eventually see all 3 qbs this fall playing with the 1st team offense but against opponents' 1st team defenses unless 1 of the 3 Iowa QBs can establish themself. Then this will be answered for all. As of now, we are right where we were last year. Some posters were calling for Padilla until he didn't do so well. Now it's Labas. Maybe the staff knows more than you do? I know that I trust them more than any dipshit poster on this board, myself included. You're delusional if you think otherwise.
well I've never seen one of them play so I agree 100%.

if this staff doesn't find a better qb than we had last year, someone needs fired is all I know. To not even get a transfer, they'd better know something nobody here knows!

Either way, who played with 1 2 or 3 doesn't really mean anything right now, so why ask?

Reactions: dadster

It amazes me how year after year this happens. Padilla got his chance last year and looked subpar. Deuce was so bad Kirk was cracking jokes about having to play him. Duece didnt even secure a scholarship at his transfer destination, that tells me plenty. But there I was in Orlando talking to fans who were hell bent that Kirk ran off the next Peyton Manning because of a stupid comment.

ADVERTISEMENT