ADVERTISEMENT

Comments about offensive line play in the spring game?

Please explain how OL that were finalist, winner, and semifinalists for the joe Moore award were not great.

Well in 2015, there was a fair amount of consensus that we won the Joe Moore that year (inaugural year) at least in part because Kirk had a personal connection to the guy.

I’m not saying the lines in either year were bad…but part of why idk that they were dominant is that outside of the 40-10 drubbing of a good NW team, I don’t recall a game in either year that our offense just had their way with someone like I can think of multiple games in both 02 and 08. Still good lines but I can’t put them in that dominant stratosphere.

Well in 2015, there was a fair amount of consensus that we won the Joe Moore that year (inaugural year) at least in part because Kirk had a personal connection to the guy.

I’m not saying the lines in either year were bad…but part of why idk that they were dominant is that outside of the 40-10 drubbing of a good NW team, I don’t recall a game in either year that our offense just had their way with someone like I can think of multiple games in both 02 and 08. Still good lines but I can’t put them in that dominant stratosphere.
We nearly had 3 different running backs run for 200 yards in a game vs B10 competition. In 2015 we averaged 203.67 rush years in the regular season and in 2008 we averaged 189.33 rush yards a game. Shone green is the reason why the 2008 OL is so remembered. We haven’t had an elite running back since.

We nearly had 3 different running backs run for 200 yards in a game vs B10 competition. In 2015 we averaged 203.67 rush years in the regular season and in 2008 we averaged 189.33 rush yards a game. Shone green is the reason why the 2008 OL is so remembered. We haven’t had an elite running back since.
To some extent I think we’re arguing semantics. For me, “dominant” is a very high bar to reach, and the 2015 team in particular just has always been in that “special” team - where there wasn’t a ton of NFL talent on that team that got drafted that year. That game you’re referencing was the one vs Northwestern. I don’t remember another game that year they just did whatever they wanted in however.

both lines in both ‘15 and ‘16 were very good. I just think 02 and 08 were better.

To some extent I think we’re arguing semantics. For me, “dominant” is a very high bar to reach, and the 2015 team in particular just has always been in that “special” team - where there wasn’t a ton of NFL talent on that team that got drafted that year. That game you’re referencing was the one vs Northwestern. I don’t remember another game that year they just did whatever they wanted in however.

both lines in both ‘15 and ‘16 were very good. I just think 02 and 08 were better.
I did not reference one game I referenced 3. So because you have a bad memory 15 is not as good as 08. Even though the 15 team beat 08 team season high in rushing 4 times.

Reactions: F5n5
I did not reference one game I referenced 3. So because you have a bad memory 15 is not as good as 08. Even though the 15 team beat 08 team season high in rushing 4 times.
The stats don’t mean as much however because the opponents aren’t the same.

I get what you’re saying to some extent, but it also bears mentioning that 08 was a classic case where the team got better as the year went on, especially once Stanzi became the starter.

The stats don’t mean as much however because the opponents aren’t the same.

I get what you’re saying to some extent, but it also bears mentioning that 08 was a classic case where the team got better as the year went on, especially once Stanzi became the starter.
Why does it matter if we got better in 08 when 15 they started good and finished good. Not sure they should get credit for Stanzi being 2-3 in his first 5 games. The 15 team and 08 team played the same amount of ranked teams.

Why does it matter if we got better in 08 when 15 they started good and finished good. Not sure they should get credit for Stanzi being 2-3 in his first 5 games. The 15 team and 08 team played the same amount of ranked teams.

That 08 team led directly into the 09 team that was 9-0 until Stanzi got hurt. I just feel like the team that beat the crap out of Minnesota had a better O-line than the ‘15 squad that edged out Nebraska.

That 08 team led directly into the 09 team that was 9-0 until Stanzi got hurt. I just feel like the team that beat the crap out of Minnesota had a better O-line than the ‘15 squad that edged out Nebraska.
I feel the team that beat the crap out of NW, ILL and edged out Pitt had a better OL than the OL that lost to NW, ILL, and Pitt. Don’t forget Stanzi was awful in 2009 it was the defense that made that team definitely wasn’t the OL either.

Reactions: ichawk24
Nope I just know when I’m right.

We’re comparing different lines different years from each other and only limited crossovers with common opponents, who all had different players too as well as different coaching staffs. That’s impossible to compare equally.

Both teams had great play in the trenches. We just disagree on who was better.

We’re comparing different lines different years from each other and only limited crossovers with common opponents, who all had different players too as well as different coaching staffs. That’s impossible to compare equally.

Both teams had great play in the trenches. We just disagree on who was better.
You never gave any reasons why 08 was better besides you thought they controlled more games which they didn’t. The 15 team beat 08 season high in rush yards 4 different times without an elite RB.

Failure to grind out drives, I’m not saying the 08 or 09 line are better, but 2015 wasn’t dominant, not even close. If you feel like the 2015 line was dominant, you my friend are not good at objectivity.
In 2015 only one team out rushed us in the regular season. How is that not dominant? Why would we be finalist for the joe Moore award if we weren’t dominant?

You never gave any reasons why 08 was better besides you thought they controlled more games which they didn’t. The 15 team beat 08 season high in rush yards 4 different times without an elite RB.
Ok,
How about Shonn Greene set the single season record and won the Doak Walker award, out rushing the leading rusher from the ‘15 season (Canzeri), by more than 800 yards?

Ok,
How about Shonn Greene set the single season record and won the Doak Walker award, out rushing the leading rusher from the ‘15 season (Canzeri), by more than 800 yards?
Product of having great durability of Greene and lack of depth on 08 roster. It speaks more to 2015 they averaged more rush yards a game while having injuries amongst multiple RBs and none of them or near the caliber of Greene.

Product of having great durability of Greene and lack of depth on 08 roster. It speaks more to 2015 they averaged more rush yards a game while having injuries amongst multiple RBs and none of them or near the caliber of Greene.
Greene also had more ypc and as many TDs as the top 2 rushers in ‘15. Defenses knew Green was getting the ball and the line still carved out huge holes for him.

“The Joe Moore Award for the Most Outstanding Offensive Line Unit annually recognizes the toughest, most physical offensive line in the country, making it the only major college football award to honor a unit or group.”

Never mentions ‘best’. Toughest, most physical.

2015 59th in average yards per carry
57th in tackles allowed for loss
30th in time of possession, their best stat
Dominant? The box score disagrees with your eye test.

“The Joe Moore Award for the Most Outstanding Offensive Line Unit annually recognizes the toughest, most physical offensive line in the country, making it the only major college football award to honor a unit or group.”

Never mentions ‘best’. Toughest, most physical.

2015 59th in average yards per carry
57th in tackles allowed for loss
30th in time of possession, their best stat
Dominant? The box score disagrees with your eye test.
Here is Wisconsins start LB saying Iowas OL is better than Alabamas in 2015. Put Greene on the 2015 team and that stats improve. They put up great numbers with barely average talent at the RB position.

And who cares which was better between 08 and 15. Two people here with a different opinion. Going back and forth. But….gotta “win” the message board argument, don’t we?
I’m not even trying to win the argument, I think both were very good so it’s arguing about degrees, so I stopped replying.

Reactions: 83Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT