ADVERTISEMENT

Comments on Tom's rankings

I know it was a tough choice but there has to be a spot for Abdul Hodge. It would have been nice to see the same logic that was applied to the safety position applied to the linebackers. I just have to think he's top 6.
My personal opinion I take him over Kirksey, Hitch, Edds, and Angerer.

Oh and to reply to the National title talk, yes, an all-star defense from 20 seasons of solid Iowa football with this years offense would be talented enough to win a NT. However, there have been many teams with gobs of talent to not win it. 2002 Miami comes to mind. It takes some luck. Plus, a program like Iowa needs to be pretty much flawless to get a shot.

All those players in thier prime,with this years offense, does Iowa win the 2018 Natty champ?
2017 bi-polar offense was 116 of 129 in total offense (nowhere to go but up); rookie OC (better in 2nd year than 1st?); any significant additions to offense (RB, WR) that aren't primarily based on potential? Suspicious until proven otherwise...in grave need of consistency (win big home game, rush the field, lose next two games) ~ Time to play more professionally (NFL) as an offense, and less emotionally (HS). So, to answer your question, No. GO HAWKS!

I know it was a tough choice but there has to be a spot for Abdul Hodge. It would have been nice to see the same logic that was applied to the safety position applied to the linebackers. I just have to think he's top 6.
My personal opinion I take him over Kirksey, Hitch, Edds, and Angerer.
Of the 6 listed, I'd only take Hodge over Hitchens.

I think they were correct breaking it down by position, though. Edds is underappreciated for the mastery he showed in that role.

Overall, I think they got it exactly right. Although, I would entertain arguments for replacing Daniels and Johnson.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
Based on their Iowa careers, I'd have Hodge only behind Jewell at MLB, and maybe even ahead of him. You knew because of positions and different attributes the NFL looks for that Greenway would have the better NFL run, but I thought Hodge was the better player on Iowa's defense when the two played together. I like Angerer a lot, but I never considered him quite at Hodge's level for NCAA.

Reactions: HumbleP1e
Based on their Iowa careers, I'd have Hodge only behind Jewell at MLB, and maybe even ahead of him. You knew because of positions and different attributes the NFL looks for that Greenway would have the better NFL run, but I thought Hodge was the better player on Iowa's defense when the two played together. I like Angerer a lot, but I never considered him quite at Hodge's level for NCAA.
agreed. if Hodge could have avoided the injury bug, he would have made an excellent pro, imo. i'd take him all day long over Greenway... in college. Greenway made a lot of tackles (arm and assisted), Abdul made a lot of tackles and put guys on the sideline.

that's how I remember it anyway

Reactions: somebody once
agreed. if Hodge could have avoided the injury bug, he would have made an excellent pro, imo. i'd take him all day long over Greenway... in college. Greenway made a lot of tackles (arm and assisted), Abdul made a lot of tackles and put guys on the sideline.

that's how I remember it anyway
Greenway was the best LB in coverage that we have ever had. Abdul played in the middle so he should have made more tackles.

I'd go with Kampman over Roth on a real team, especially if King was the DT on the same side. I still remember my frosh year when they pulled Kampman's redshirt in the third game at Arizona. Still wonder if Iowa wouldn't have lost the streak to ISU the week before had Kampman played one week earlier in place of an injured Matt Hughes. But at that point they still planned to redshirt him. Aaron didn't even move to DE until he was a junior, so it's amazing what a long NFL career he had. Hayden and Ferentz are both very good at judging what position will benefit a guy the most. Roth was signed as a LB, but moved to DE much sooner. Babineaux also didn't start on DL. And I think King was also a LB to start. And here all those guys made this particular list. Christian Ballard is another one that found his way to the d-line after signing hoping to be a TE, and should be an honorable mention on this list (he was as instrumental as Clayborn in each other's success IMO). Pretty impressive and a good example that lower star guys at initial positions become high star players when moved into the right spot (along with all the other developing that goes with it of course).

Didn’t Jared DeVries play for Ferentz for a year?? D-line can get murky I’d put Jaleel Johnson up there.

Hell, have the 1st team play against the 2nd team and they'd both win about 50% of the time. All of them were fun to watch play that's all I know !

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT