ADVERTISEMENT

Committee doesn't look at ONE GAME...it's a resume!

TD 75 33

HR MVP
Nov 20, 2002
People need to really take a step back and take a breath after the loss to PSU yesterday.

Bubble talk? Are you serious?

10/11 seed? C'mon guys! You're better than this!

Winning one or two games in the B1G tournament would've been nice, but it will have little bearing on the committee's decision. It's a FULL SEASON RESUME!!! And maybe now, that terrible game yesterday will be the kick in the shorts they need to win a game or two (or six...wink!).

Iowa State could've lost last night, or they could win the entire Big12 Tourney, and they're still pretty much locked into a 3 seed. Proves that Conference Tourneys only really help those teams on the bubble with an extra win or two. Doesn't really hurt/help the teams locked in much...maybe a seed here or there. For example, if OSU or MSU wins the tourney, they may be a 6-7 seed, instead of an 7-9.

As I've stated in other threads, at the end of the day, Iowa has a non-con win that no other team in the country has (excluding the potential 1 seeds, like Duke at Wisc), a very good road record, and a run at the end of the season to pass the eye test (yes, even after yesterday's eye sore).

Our RPI isn't spectacular, but it isn't terrible either. But that's just one tool that the committee uses. They've said for the past few years that road wins, especially in the non conference, are a major factor in who's in/out and seeding.

If you look to the past, I see the 2014/2015 Hawkeyes being a lot like the 2012/2013 Illini squad that many thought were "on the bubble" after being ranked earlier in the year, having a HUGE non-con road win at Gonzaga, having a couple good home wins, then slipping down the stretch at going 21-11 (8-10 in B1G play), then winning one in the B1G tourney.

That year proved what the committee is focused on. They awarded Illinois with a 7 seed (clearly in), and was a couple plays (and bad calls) away from beating Miami and reaching the Sweet 16.

I'll state this for the third time today:
Obviously falling to the 8/9 game is possible, but with the VERY WEAK bubble, and field in general, and geography being a huge component with seeding and setting regionals, I can't see a scenario more likely that the 7 seed in Omaha with Kansas as the 2 seed.

But it sure is fun to worry about seeds again! Go Hawks!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News