ADVERTISEMENT

Complete Embarrassment

scotthawk1964

HR All-American
Sep 12, 2014
Puerto Princesa, Palawan, Philippines
Why, every time Iowa loses do we have fans that come here and take the loss personally and make a complete ass of themselves on the board? Every loss, it does not matter to who, what or how the game went down. It is ok to be critical, but I read so many threads here are just plain down right hateful. We all know Stanley did not have a great game, but for people to personally attack him like he just raped your daughter is ridiculous. Hell, one asshole even had to say he was retarded when doing his interviews. Really, that is a grown up thing to say? These are 18, 19 and 20 year old kids that make mistakes. Like I said, being critical is fine, but the constant trashing of players and coaches after every single loss is disgraceful. If any of the coaches or players personally hurt you, by all means call them out, but no one feels worse about a loss then the team. And for you people who say Stanley sucks, remember this. Before today's game, Stanley has thrown 42 TD's to 12 INT's. Has he been inconsistent, yes, but suck, NO. If you want Mansell, fine, but stop trashing Stanley on a personal basis. My 12 year old is more mature then half the people here. Rant over, Penn State over. Move on people, or get a hobby.

Why, every time Iowa loses do we have fans that come here and take the loss personally and make a complete ass of themselves on the board? Every loss, it does not matter to who, what or how the game went down. It is ok to be critical, but I read so many threads here are just plain down right hateful. We all know Stanley did not have a great game, but for people to personally attack him like he just raped your daughter is ridiculous. Hell, one asshole even had to say he was retarded when doing his interviews. Really, that is a grown up thing to say? These are 18, 19 and 20 year old kids that make mistakes. Like I said, being critical is fine, but the constant trashing of players and coaches after every single loss is disgraceful. If any of the coaches or players personally hurt you, by all means call them out, but no one feels worse about a loss then the team. And for you people who say Stanley sucks, remember this. Before today's game, Stanley has thrown 42 TD's to 12 INT's. Has he been inconsistent, yes, but suck, NO. If you want Mansell, fine, but stop trashing Stanley on a personal basis. My 12 year old is more mature then half the people here. Rant over, Penn State over. Move on people, or get a hobby.

That's the problem with many in the Iowa fan base. They pump Iowa up throughout the week to be something they're not. When they fail to live up to their expectations on Saturday, they come unglued.

We all know that Stanley has been wildly erratic throughout his career. Tbh, people need to realize he is human and doing the best he can. The coaches are to blame for putting him in that position today. Like a struggling pitcher, it was clear Stanley was rattled and had his confidence shaken. He should have been pulled for his mental health. It also seemed he was a bit dinged up. Not going with Mansell in the 2nd half is inexcusable.

For whatever reason, Ferentz will never pull a quarterback for performance. Ever. Whether Mansell would have made a difference in the outcome is irrelevant. As a coach, you have to make those decisions to try to jumpstart your offense. You have to.

For me, I've accepted a long time ago that Iowa football under Kirk Ferentz is characterized by consistency. Iowa consistently develops players who are marginal P5 talent; consistently play hard and rarely get blown out; consistently have erratic QB play; and consistently have head-scratching coaching decisions or player gaffes due to coaching that contribute to at least one or two losses every season.

I would not be surprised if Iowa loses two more games this year. Other than the anamoly of 2015, Iowa is a 7/8 win program in the latter Ferentz years. That isn't likely to change. It's silly for fans to get upset about it at this point. You want to be mad at someone, be mad at Gary Barta.

I think OP is being a little over sensitive here.

A) Yes they are 18-22. Again, doesn't absolve them from criticism
B) You again listed Stanley's career stats and called him "inconsistent." That is just excusing the problem, not acknowledging it.
C) And being overly reactionary/negative comes with every loss. Or are you new to sports?

Whether or not they are “kids” is irrelevant to the fact that they owe nobody here anything

Not entirely true. They owe us plently. They owe us not to be knuckleheads, to try their hardest every game, to preform to the level they capable and to put the school and program in the best light possible. Most players do that, for us thank god, 99 percent of the time.

Problem was today with Nate being so inexcusably bad, missing "middle school throws," I think its far to question whether he met two of those four things. Do I think he tried his hardest? Yes I do. Do I think he came close to preforming to a level he is capable. No I do not.

Reactions: brewhawk23
And the fact that they owe “nobody here anything” is irrelevant to the fact that sports fans are always going to go after poorly performing players. It’s a big stage and you gotta learn to live with it or go back to your safe space.
Discussing Nate having an awful day and struggling with inconsistency is different than attacking him or suggesting that he may have “sucked to spite the fans” LOL

Edit: I’ve got no issue with calls to see Mansell or, again, discussing things rationally, but I would think that there is a line...

Last edited:
Iowa is just not a big game team. Sure we pull off a big upset every once and a while but the reason they are termed big upsets is because we fall short on too many big games to be considered legitimate contenders in the B1G. Our bowl record and the extent of a lot of those losses has also proved this decade we are not a big game team.

Not entirely true. They owe us plently. They owe us not to be knuckleheads, to try their hardest every game, to preform to the level they capable and to put the school and program in the best light possible. Most players do that, for us thank god, 99 percent of the time.

Problem was today with Nate being so inexcusably bad, missing "middle school throws," I think its far to question whether he met two of those four things. Do I think he tried his hardest? Yes I do. Do I think he came close to preforming to a level he is capable. No I do not.
I think he owes those things to his teammates, coaches, and himself. But not the fans. Agree to disagree

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
I think he owes those things to his teammates, coaches, and himself. But not the fans. Agree to disagree

I think fans are part of that equation. Without them there are no other teammates and coaches. I hate when people try to leave fans out of the equation. Do you have to appease things for the fans? Call the plays they demand on sports radio? nope. But, don't treat them as some afterthought, either.

To a large extent you're right, but fan interest is why coaches earn big salaries and why players get scholarships and lots of accolades. Many fans are stupid and irrational, but if players like basking in the glory of praise when they are performing well then they have to expect criticism when they perform poorly, fair or not. Especially the quarterback.

Get over yourself. Fans across the nation get this upset when their team pisses one away. You're not superior to any of these upset fans.

Get over yourself. Fans across the nation get this upset when their team pisses one away. You're not superior to any of these upset fans.
Get over myself? Whatever dude, so your on record that it is ok to personally attack people because they don't play well. There is a difference MORON between personally attacking someone and being critical of there play. I guess its sad that you cannot tell the difference. I also re read what I wrote, please point out where I said anything about being Superior? Un huh, just as I thought.

Have to agree with you...Stanley wasn't great but to personal attack and have melt downs is hilarious. I love lurking and seeing all the so called experts here after a win, and even more so after a loss. Stanley has been real good over the last 4 weeks, so much he's done things other Iowa QB's haven't but a few. Calm down we will win out and you all can go back to wishing in one hand and crapping in the other to see which gets fuller faster...

Iowa is just not a big game team. Sure we pull off a big upset every once and a while but the reason they are termed big upsets is because we fall short on too many big games to be considered legitimate contenders in the B1G. Our bowl record and the extent of a lot of those losses has also proved this decade we are not a big game team.
Especially against OSU last year...yep you're right

I think OP is being a little over sensitive here.

A) Yes they are 18-22. Again, doesn't absolve them from criticism
B) You again listed Stanley's career stats and called him "inconsistent." That is just excusing the problem, not acknowledging it.
C) And being overly reactionary/negative comes with every loss. Or are you new to sports?
I think people are missing the point, its ok to criticize, but do we really need to personally attack someone because they played poorly?

So anyone that plays a sport owes you an explanation for a bad day? How about at your work? Or in Real Life...humans make mistakes...heck I bet you make a few here and there, or maybe not. They don't owe us anything other than do the best they can to their abilities at that given time. If they make a mistake, they can atone and move on. Do you think he's beating himself up?!!! I think he is, because when I make one, I really beat myself up and then I try hard to learn and make up for it. Geez...

Get over myself? Whatever dude, so your on record that it is ok to personally attack people because they don't play well. There is a difference MORON between personally attacking someone and being critical of there play. I guess its sad that you cannot tell the difference. I also re read what I wrote, please point out where I said anything about being Superior? Un huh, just as I thought.
Well we say here in Missouri that if we cut off some of the lower parts and give it to Ark, we would raise the IQ of both states...that may explain his response...lol

Reactions: scotthawk1964
To a large extent you're right, but fan interest is why coaches earn big salaries and why players get scholarships and lots of accolades. Many fans are stupid and irrational, but if players like basking in the glory of praise when they are performing well then they have to expect criticism when they perform poorly, fair or not. Especially the quarterback.
Criticism is fine. I would be one of the first to say that Stanley played an extremely crappy game today and feel he should have been pulled at some point. My issue is with some of the personal attacks that I’ve seen here.

Failing to meet inflated fan expectations generates these responses regularly on these boards. Tonight seems to be a classic.

Dumping on a 21 year old because you lost a $50 bet is nuts. It’s a team game. Nate had an awful day, but 3 false starts by Jackson, the inability to run the ball for 3 quarters, the failure to contain McSorley on his big run, etc. etc. all contributed to the outcome.

Where’s the love for the TD on the fake? TJ made an amazing grab late.(Even if the refs disagreed) B. Smith may have had his best game as a Hawkeye. A Nelson was a force.

Vegas had us as a 5.5 dog. If we’re honest most of us before the season began all had this as a likely loss. Most saw the Hawks at 8-4. It may still wind up this way, but the all out bashing of our qb won’t do anything to help his confidence going forward.

I hope these players show greater loyalty to Iowa then many have here tonight.

I agree there are a lot of over the top fans, especially on the boards. The over reactions are pretty ridiculous most of the time. I would like to think I am a level headed fan, I completely understand everything will not go Iowa's way, and I know mistakes happen. However what I have watched the past few games is just far beyond Stanley being inconsistent. The overthrows, passes at the feet, or behind receivers is plain getting old. I have always been a Stanley supporter, up until now. The good games don't make up for the mounting problems.

Something has to change. I don't mind losing and never make it a personal attack on the players. I can even stomach the Wisconsin loss, barely. Tonight was inexcusable.

I agree there are a lot of over the top fans, especially on the boards. The over reactions are pretty ridiculous most of the time. I would like to think I am a level headed fan, I completely understand everything will not go Iowa's way, and I know mistakes happen. However what I have watched the past few games is just far beyond Stanley being inconsistent. The overthrows, passes at the feet, or behind receivers is plain getting old. I have always been a Stanley supporter, up until now. The good games don't make up for the mounting problems.

Something has to change. I don't mind losing and never make it a personal attack on the players. I can even stomach the Wisconsin loss, barely. Tonight was inexcusable.
I watched James Vandenberg take every snap his senior season and throw 7 TDs and 8 interceptions while the team posted a 4-8 season in Greg Davis first year. That season was total futility and I couldn't understand to this day this staffs thought process in not giving the backup QB Ruddock a few series in preparation for the next season. Sitting a struggling QB on the sideline may actually help him settle down and get refocused if you handle it properly. Did I expect a tremendously underperforming Hawkeye QB to be relieved today? Nope. Preparation of the backup QB has been a glaring weakness of this staff throughout its tenure, particularly since the offensive philosophy rarely led to comfortable victories to get the backups some experience.

You contradict yourself though.......I didn't "personally" attack Nate and you indicated to me that I was a child. I was merely saying I was frustrated with his play and the decision making in general by the coaches. They almost had to work hard to lose this game. I think Nate is probably a fine young man, probably a pretty good student and I thank him for picking Iowa. However, giving opinions (good or bad) are what these boards are for and being a fan in general is all about. The fact is that Iowa has a pretty good defense this year and are completely wasting it. So, you might want to get over yourself to be honest.......

Reactions: blhawk
Age means nothing its just a number doesnt change how you think.
Even kids get frustrated. At 43 i would be hard pressed to say i act any different then when i was 18.
These forums are more for venting then anything else and its better here then possibly out in the real world.

So anyone that plays a sport owes you an explanation for a bad day? How about at your work? Or in Real Life...humans make mistakes...heck I bet you make a few here and there, or maybe not. They don't owe us anything other than do the best they can to their abilities at that given time. If they make a mistake, they can atone and move on. Do you think he's beating himself up?!!! I think he is, because when I make one, I really beat myself up and then I try hard to learn and make up for it. Geez...

I answer yes to all those questions.

The personal attacks are stupid, misguided and way out of bounds.

That said, they are NOT kids. They are young men. Playing college football. Any one of them could take most of us and break them over their knees like a twig. They are not above criticism.

People just need to learn the difference between legit criticism and attacking someone personally because they had a bad game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT