ADVERTISEMENT

Composite decking

hawkeyejr

All-Conference
Aug 5, 2008
Going to be redoing my old wooden deck soon and was looking at composite decking. What are some brands that you would recommend and avoid. Also any cons of switching to composite.

Going to be redoing my old wooden deck soon and was looking at composite decking. What are some brands that you would recommend and avoid. Also any cons of switching to composite.

I've got Fiberon Horizon decking and like it. The color I used is shown in this deck photo. I've had GeoDeck and didn't like it at all.

gallery-horizon-ipe-04.jpg

Just put in Timbertech decks. Opted for the basic, since the decks are on the east side of the house, and it does get very warm in the sun (but about the same as pressure treated lumber). But they have a line that stays about 30 degrees cooler if you want to spend the money.

Just put in Timbertech decks. Opted for the basic, since the decks are on the east side of the house, and it does get very warm in the sun (but about the same as pressure treated lumber). But they have a line that stays about 30 degrees cooler if you want to spend the money.

Look at Wendy branching out from cooking to home improvement threads!

I have a wood deck that's about 7 years old. Can I just tear off the decking and railings and if the existing beams and joists are in good shape just put the composite decking right on those?

I have a wood deck that's about 7 years old. Can I just tear off the decking and railings and if the existing beams and joists are in good shape just put the composite decking right on those?
Depends on how far apart the joists are. For wood decking, 16 inches on center is common. For composite, they often require 12" on center depending on the manufacturer.

You learned something today, so HROT is not a complete waste of time.

Last edited:
Are all of the above types mentioned sold at the big box stores?

Generally yes. I got the Timbertech from Gilcrest-Jewett though. Free delivery within a certain radius and fantastic customer service...a couple minor hiccups popped up and they went above and beyond to fix them.

Also, the original plan was just pressure treated lumber for everything and we went with Lowes. Some of the boards warped after delivery and we went the deck boards back because they were so knotty (like, the knots went halfway through the board). That's when we went with the Timbertech. We also needed another 2x10 and just got that from G-J...it was way heavier than the 2x10s we got from Lowes.

Reactions: Hendy hawk

Yes. I've done that ... twice actually. My deck was over 15 years old when I did it the second time.

I used a contractor, and he wrapped the exposed uprights with composite material so it looks like the whole deck is composite.

We went with Trex 20 years ago and it still looks brand new. It is an up front cost but essentially maintenance and repair free for 20+ years.

I'm currently waiting for a contractor to get back to me on the cost to redo my deck with Trex. He told me that it isn't that much more expensive than wood now days.

Generally yes. I got the Timbertech from Gilcrest-Jewett though. Free delivery within a certain radius and fantastic customer service...a couple minor hiccups popped up and they went above and beyond to fix them.

Also, the original plan was just pressure treated lumber for everything and we went with Lowes. Some of the boards warped after delivery and we went the deck boards back because they were so knotty (like, the knots went halfway through the board). That's when we went with the Timbertech. We also needed another 2x10 and just got that from G-J...it was way heavier than the 2x10s we got from Lowes.
Finding quality decking boards at big box stores feels like it's gotten much worse over the past few years. That's just my general observation but a friend of mine in Wisconsin thought the same thing as well.

Reactions: Wendy79
We went with UltraDeck from Menards several years ago, still looks good and just a simple cleaning every Spring.

We just did our covered front porch in Aeratis tongue and groove. The texture is great. It isn't slippery when wet. Color is all the way through and install went well. My builder has had warp issues with some other brands and has had good luck with this stuff.

Depends on how far apart the joists are. For wood decking, 16 inches on center is common. For composite, they often require 12" on center depending on the manufacturer.

You learned something today, so HROT is not a complete waste of time.
Not really, unless it's a unique install.

https://www.decks-docks.com/proper-joist-spacing-for-composite-decking

12 INCHES, 16 INCHES, OR 24 INCHES?
Most composite and PVC decking brands, like Trex and Azek, recommend a minimum joist spacing of 16 inches OC. Some brands, like WearDeck, let you get away with more – reinforced with a layer of fiberglass on both the top and bottom, WearDeck boards easily allow for spans of 24 inches OC.

So, when would you ever need to use 12 inches OC? Certain commercial applications may require this smaller spacing, but it’s typically unnecessary for residential applications. That is unless you’re installing your deck at a 45-degree angle – in this case, 12 inches OC is recommended by most composite decking brands.

The bottom line? With composites, you can typically trust brand guidelines but should make adjustments depending on the angle and span of your deck.

I went with Trex to replace a large cedar deck a couple years ago. It's great to work with and looks fantastic. It is more expensive than others but I think it's worth it. Neighbors used cheaper brands and have sags and some warping.

Something to consider if you have useable space below your deck is a drain system to catch the rain. There are several but I chose a rubber-type bladder system. We really like it and use our patio below the deck much more than the deck itself. It's like a large outdoor room down there. Just a thought.

I'll also throw in a new product...TuffBlocks. These are plastic forms you use instead of digging/pouring concrete. Each one weighs about 2.5 pounds and can hold over 1500 pounds. You can set the joist/bearer or 4x4 right in it. We used it for my decks since I didn't want to attach them to the house (they're low to the ground) and didn't want to have to dig/pour concrete. You can use it on a hilly surface as long as the spot where the individual TuffBlock is level. Would definitely use again.

https://www.buildtuff.com/

I'm currently waiting for a contractor to get back to me on the cost to redo my deck with Trex. He told me that it isn't that much more expensive than wood now days.
Well that is a fine development. We put in a 12x20 a cedar deck 4 years ago because it was so much cheaper than Trex. My recollection was that it was 1/2 the price. It was part of a project where we added a 4 seasons room, and I didn't want to spend the extra money on Trex. Now I wish I had. We will eventually put it (or a similar product) in.

I'll also throw in a new product...TuffBlocks. These are plastic forms you use instead of digging/pouring concrete. Each one weighs about 2.5 pounds and can hold over 1500 pounds. You can set the joist/bearer or 4x4 right in it. We used it for my decks since I didn't want to attach them to the house (they're low to the ground) and didn't want to have to dig/pour concrete. You can use it on a hilly surface as long as the spot where the individual TuffBlock is level. Would definitely use again.

https://www.buildtuff.com/
Eh, depends on how much you want your deck to heave.

We have Trex and really like it. Easy to install. Our mistake was doing a semi dark blue and it gets too warm in dead of summer to be barefoot on
We are going to replace our wooden deck and are looking at Trex and some of the other composites. We also want to make it fairly water proof so we can store stuff underneath. Trex has a material that is underneath the decking that channels the water away from the deck. Has anyone tried this or something similar?

And he would be wrong.

Well that is a fine development. We put in a 12x20 a cedar deck 4 years ago because it was so much cheaper than Trex. My recollection was that it was 1/2 the price. It was part of a project where we added a 4 seasons room, and I didn't want to spend the extra money on Trex. Now I wish I had. We will eventually put it (or a similar product) in.

To be fair, I haven't seen his bid yet. When I looked at replacing my deck boards with cedar vs Trex, the Trex materials were about double that of cedar. However, the wood deck would require staining/sealing for years to come. I did get a bid from a big box store to rebuild the deck. $8000 for wood (no stain or sealant), $10,000 for Trex.

We are going to replace our wooden deck and are looking at Trex and some of the other composites. We also want to make it fairly water proof so we can store stuff underneath. Trex has a material that is underneath the decking that channels the water away from the deck. Has anyone tried this or something similar?
The previous owner of the house we are moving to put metal siding under the deck sloped to a gutter hung below the deck joist which runs to a down spout running down the deck support. Works pretty well.

To be fair, I haven't seen his bid yet. When I looked at replacing my deck boards with cedar vs Trex, the Trex materials were about double that of cedar. However, the wood deck would require staining/sealing for years to come. I did get a bid from a big box store to rebuild the deck. $8000 for wood (no stain or sealant), $10,000 for Trex.
Power washing/staining/sealing is a pain in the ass.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT