ADVERTISEMENT

Composite decking

We are going to replace our wooden deck and are looking at Trex and some of the other composites. We also want to make it fairly water proof so we can store stuff underneath. Trex has a material that is underneath the decking that channels the water away from the deck. Has anyone tried this or something similar?
I looked at it and opted for https://www.dekdrain.com/ instead. As I recall, it was less money and I thought it would be a better system.

Power washing/staining/sealing is a pain in the ass.

Many composite decks still need the power washing, but it is better than staining. Mine is so shaded that I have to power wash it at least once a year (usually twice) to get the mold discoloration off of it. If I use Mold Armor on it I can sometimes get by with one power washing per year.

Many composite decks still need the power washing, but it is better than staining. Mine is so shaded that I have to power wash it at least once a year (usually twice) to get the mold discoloration off of it. If I use Mold Armor on it I can sometimes get by with one power washing per year.
but with cedar you have to be careful or you chew up the wood.

Reactions: MplsHawk
The previous owner of the house we are moving to put metal siding under the deck sloped to a gutter hung below the deck joist which runs to a down spout running down the deck support. Works pretty well.
We had someone suggest something similar, only using vinal siding instead of metal. Thanks for the input.

Anyone else have trouble with composite decks being slippery when wet or in the winter? My Dad's steps are really slick when they are wet. The deck is the UltraDeck composite from Menards. I was wondering if there was any product that could be applied to the steps make them less slick.

Maybe us outcasts from the Locker Room of Warchant are classing up this place.
source.gif

Anyone else have trouble with composite decks being slippery when wet or in the winter? My Dad's steps are really slick when they are wet. The deck is the UltraDeck composite from Menards. I was wondering if there was any product that could be applied to the steps make them less slick.
I guess I've never really noticed that with ours. That said, it really doesn't get any use in the winter.

I guess I've never really noticed that with ours. That said, it really doesn't get any use in the winter.
His deck is attached to the back door. The steps are to the most often used entry into the house. I'm thinking of putting some kind of gritty additive into some satin clear coat and applying it to the steps. I'll try it on a scrap piece first though.

His deck is attached to the back door. The steps are to the most often used entry into the house. I'm thinking of putting some kind of gritty additive into some satin clear coat and applying it to the steps. I'll try it on a scrap piece first though.
images

Anti skid tape.

images

Anti skid tape.
I put some of those on 2 years ago and they worked, but they started peeling off this year so I removed them. I could put some new ones down, but I was looking for a more permanent solution if possible.

Reactions: UKGrad93
Power washing/staining/sealing is a pain in the ass.

Not that bad; it's moving all the stuff off the deck that sucks.
Pressure washing takes about 30 minutes.
Staining is a morning job, and goes pretty fast with rollers.

But, compared to Trex, it is more work.

To be fair, I haven't seen his bid yet. When I looked at replacing my deck boards with cedar vs Trex, the Trex materials were about double that of cedar. However, the wood deck would require staining/sealing for years to come. I did get a bid from a big box store to rebuild the deck. $8000 for wood (no stain or sealant), $10,000 for Trex.

Here's what I do (and I skipped last year, so may take a little longer to wash/prep this time)

• Get a pressure washer deck attachment; has a spinning brush that really cleans quickly and well
ar-blue-clean-pressure-washer-surface-cleaners-pw40829-66_1000.jpg

• Give it a quick once-over if dirty; if it's new wood, skip this
  • Oxiclean-mop the deck; whatever the box mixture concentration says; skip the HomeDepot/Lowes deck cleaners like Olympic that are literally overpriced bleach and are very bad for your wood
  • Do a quick pressure clean or just hose off
  • If you want, mix up Home Depot deck brightener (oxalic acid - but check the MSDS to make sure they didn't revert back to bleach) and mop that on; Home Depot's deck brighter works well, but you can get this in a powder I think
  • Pressure wash the deck clean
  • Let dry a day or two
  • Roller on some Armstrong-Clark stain. I've used this a few years now, and can go 2 yrs before restaining. If the dog didn't scuff up his OmiGod-I-Gotta-Get-Off-The-Deck-To-Chase-A-Tennis-Ball-or-Squirrel path, it'd be more like 3 yrs.
  • If it soaks in fast, add another quick coat; it dries in an hour
https://www.armstrongclarkstain.com/wood-and-decking-stains

Last shipment I ordered from them showed up FedEx, and at the last minute the truck drove off and listed an "exception". They had dropped the bucket on its lid and it leaked, so A-C shipped me a whole new 5 gallon bucket. A week later, FedEx delivered the bagged and taped up damaged bucket, which was mostly just dented and still had nearly all the stain in it.

I have two decks (15x20 and 20x20) and a front porch, and I think they used around 3 or 4 gallons for coverage overall the first time. Later coats take less.

Yes, wood is more work. But I like the wood, particularly barefoot in the summer.
Not a big deal if your deck gets afternoon shade, but if you have afternoon sun, you won't be walking barefoot on Trex, IMO.

The 'moving shit around' takes the longest. Washing the decks and mopping stuff on is literally 15 minutes or so. Staining maybe an hour for each deck, if only doing the foot-surfaces.

I have a wood deck that's about 7 years old. Can I just tear off the decking and railings and if the existing beams and joists are in good shape just put the composite decking right on those?

Uh, c’mon dude. Of course, do you call an electrician to change lightbulbs in your house.

Here's what I do (and I skipped last year, so may take a little longer to wash/prep this time)

• Get a pressure washer deck attachment; has a spinning brush that really cleans quickly and well
ar-blue-clean-pressure-washer-surface-cleaners-pw40829-66_1000.jpg

• Give it a quick once-over if dirty; if it's new wood, skip this
  • Oxiclean-mop the deck; whatever the box mixture concentration says; skip the HomeDepot/Lowes deck cleaners like Olympic that are literally overpriced bleach and are very bad for your wood
  • Do a quick pressure clean or just hose off
  • If you want, mix up Home Depot deck brightener (oxalic acid - but check the MSDS to make sure they didn't revert back to bleach) and mop that on; Home Depot's deck brighter works well, but you can get this in a powder I think
  • Pressure wash the deck clean
  • Let dry a day or two
  • Roller on some Armstrong-Clark stain. I've used this a few years now, and can go 2 yrs before restaining. If the dog didn't scuff up his OmiGod-I-Gotta-Get-Off-The-Deck-To-Chase-A-Tennis-Ball-or-Squirrel path, it'd be more like 3 yrs.
  • If it soaks in fast, add another quick coat; it dries in an hour
https://www.armstrongclarkstain.com/wood-and-decking-stains

Last shipment I ordered from them showed up FedEx, and at the last minute the truck drove off and listed an "exception". They had dropped the bucket on its lid and it leaked, so A-C shipped me a whole new 5 gallon bucket. A week later, FedEx delivered the bagged and taped up damaged bucket, which was mostly just dented and still had nearly all the stain in it.

I have two decks (15x20 and 20x20) and a front porch, and I think they used around 3 or 4 gallons for coverage overall the first time. Later coats take less.

Yes, wood is more work. But I like the wood, particularly barefoot in the summer.
Not a big deal if your deck gets afternoon shade, but if you have afternoon sun, you won't be walking barefoot on Trex, IMO.

The 'moving shit around' takes the longest. Washing the decks and mopping stuff on is literally 15 minutes or so. Staining maybe an hour for each deck, if only doing the foot-surfaces.
You won't be walking barefoot after getting a splinter either. Big issue with wood decks over 5 years old.

I have a light gray deck on the south side of the house - it gets hot but bare feet are ok unless it's 90+ degrees and we don't go on the deck then anyway.

I was just f’ing with you of course. Only poor people like me know about construction. No reason to know about it if you’re wealthy.

I was just talking about this with my uncle the other day. My great grandfather was a carpenter and my grandpa was a farmer. I asked if he thought they would be proud of me for making a nice white collar living or disgusted by how little of handyman skills I have. He said disgusted for sure.

Reactions: SansSouci
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT