ADVERTISEMENT

Concerned about takeaways

DutchyFunStar

HB MVP
Aug 8, 2014
So far we've lost two fumbles and only gain an interception. Sitting at -1 in turnover margin after playing 2 non-conference games doesn't feel good. Isn't it these games where stats like this should lopsided? This was a bit of a problem last year too, we just didn't get the takeaways that killed opponent drives and gave us extra possessions.

I'm a little concerned but I'm taking the wait and see approach. Hopefully the D can force some TOs against Pitt and North Texas.

I remember an early pick that if the pass were an inch lower to the ground, it's probably a pick 6. I also remember a fumble that seemed to take a room service bounce for IoSU also.

Some times, teams get lucky bounces. Now, is Iowa not good so far at creating TO's, one could say that.

But sometimes teams that do get a lot of TO's luck into a lot of them. So far, Iowa hasn't gotten the lucky ones.

Iowa stacked the LOS vs. the run in both games so far. That's generally a good opportunity to get the ball out with the RB fighting for yards and gang tackling. Keeping stacking it up, and the turnovers will come.

Iowa stacked the LOS vs. the run in both games so far. That's generally a good opportunity to get the ball out with the RB fighting for yards and gang tackling. Keeping stacking it up, and the turnovers will come.

I can't comment too much on the Illinois St game, but during the Iowa State game, there was that one pick in the first half that was taken away because of a PI that we didn't even need to do, we had 4 guys around the ball just waiting to intercept it. There was at least one ISU fumble that barely was recovered by them, and then, of course, we recovered a crucial fumble for a score in the 3rd quarter, so the ball does bounce our way sometimes...

We were very close to Five against ISU. 1)Nieman early in game 2)ISUs fumble 3)int called back by penalty 4) King's break up that could have been pick6 5) Kings actual pick. With our CB play, they will come.

I can't comment too much on the Illinois St game, but during the Iowa State game, there was that one pick in the first half that was taken away because of a PI that we didn't even need to do, we had 4 guys around the ball just waiting to intercept it. There was at least one ISU fumble that barely was recovered by them, and then, of course, we recovered a crucial fumble for a score in the 3rd quarter, so the ball does bounce our way sometimes...

This is generally true but Iowa has only recovered 10 of the last 35 fumbles going back to last year. That is very, very poor and a statistical outlier.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT