ADVERTISEMENT

Conference Tiebreakers

Herky T Hawk

HR Heisman
Feb 5, 2003
A long way to go, but has anyone seen if the conference will have special tiebreakers this season for BTT seeding like they did in football? In football, losses mattered more than wins did if any games got cancelled. I put the 2020 special football rules below. I wonder if the conference will use similar rules for basketball because the scenario below shows exactly why they need them.

Let's say that Iowa has 2 more cancelled games(along with the current two) and only loses to someone like Wisconsin but has a win at Michigan. That would put us at 14-2 on the season(87.5%). Michigan loses to us for a 2nd loss but beats Wisconsin and only has 2 cancelled games on the season to finish at 16-2(88.8%). With old school rules, Michigan wins the title because of the better record thanks to the uneven schedules. With the COVID football rules we win the title because of the tie in losses, the head to head victory over Michigan, and every other team has at least 3 losses.

1. With all conference games completed, the best winning percentage in all conference games.
  2. In the event of an unbalanced schedule due to cancellation of games: If two (or more)teams have the same number of conference losses but a different number of conference wins, head-to-head results will take precedence over winning percentage, as long as the two (or more) teams meet minimum number of games language noted above.
  3. If the game was cancelled between two teams with the same winning percentage in all conference games or the same number of conference losses but a different number of conference wins, move to tiebreaker for two teams below.
  4. If a game or games was cancelled between three or more teams with the same winning percentage in all conference games or the same number of conference losses but a different number of conference wins, move to tiebreaker for three or more teams below.
  5. The team or teams with the best winning percentage in all conference games and both championship game participants will earn at least a share of the division championship.

Last edited:
MinorSilkyKite-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: BBHawk
It is really a crapshoot. Uneven schedules for years. Don't think we had a legit champ last year either.
Not sure what you mean. There's been unbalanced schedules ever since the conference expanded and got rid of the double round-robin. But that was deemed fair because everyone played the same number of games. Wisc, Maryland, and MSU won the championship last season at 14-6.

I'm talking about the case of uneven schedules where teams don't play the same number of games which is seemingly more likely by the day with Nebraska, MSU, and PSU throwing in the towel on the season and just not caring about COVID precautions.

Reactions: chuck285
Not sure what you mean. There's been unbalanced schedules ever since the conference expanded and got rid of the double round-robin. But that was deemed fair because everyone played the same number of games. Wisc, Maryland, and MSU won the championship last season at 14-6.

I'm talking about the case of uneven schedules where teams don't play the same number of games which is seemingly more likely by the day with Nebraska, MSU, and PSU throwing in the towel on the season and just not caring about COVID precautions.
I said uneven schedules for years...
What do you not understand?

Uneven schedules, as in who you play, where you play them and how often you play them, have had a hand in conference championships since the end of the round robin schedules.

For just BTT seeding I doubt they change much, since everyone gets in. What I’m more interested in is how they apply it to regular season champion. For B1G, reg season champ is the official “conf champ”. BTT champ is the “Big Ten Tournament Champ”, but not official conf champ

If Iowa wins the B1G outright then I think we should get a bye all the way to the Championship. Just my thought. :eek:

I think they need to start by pushing hard to get all the makeup games played,.. even if it requires cancelling the Big Ten tournament...

For just BTT seeding I doubt they change much, since everyone gets in. What I’m more interested in is how they apply it to regular season champion. For B1G, reg season champ is the official “conf champ”. BTT champ is the “Big Ten Tournament Champ”, but not official conf champ

Don't tell Coach Hairgel this. It'll crush him.

Don't tell Coach Hairgel this. It'll crush him.

Not of fan of Hairgel either, but I have to admit that I've allowed myself to almost consider the 2006 season a "Big Ten Championship" - or at least as close as you can come without winning one, and an equal in-conference accomplishment to what OSU did that year ;)

I mean we finished 1 game behind OSU in the regular season, beat them the only time we played them in the reg season, and beat them in the BTT championship game. I could entertain arguments for these post BTT standings being legit ;)

Iowa 14-5
OSU 14-5
Illinois 11-6

Also, damn, I forgot late road losses to 8th place and 10th place NU and Minnesota cost us a true CC :(

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT