ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats to Charlie Jones and Purdue, West champions

Beattheohiostate

HR All-State
Aug 5, 2022
phoenix, AZ
So, all you Charlie Jones haters, tell me more about how stupid it was for Purdue's star wide receiver, a backup in Iowa City, to transfer to Purdue. LOL

While the Hawkeyes and their nation's worst offense enjoy this Saturday off, Charlie and his pals will be in Indy taking on mighty Michigan. And while Purdue isn't likely to pull the upset, the Boilermakers are likely to make a closer and more entertaining game of it than Iowa did last year, and much better than Iowa would have this year, certainly.

Just for the record, here are Charlie Jones' stats for this season @ Purdue:
Receptions: 97
Yards: 1,199
TDs: 12
Average: 12.4 yards per reception
Longest reception: 60 yards

Compared to last year @ Iowa:
Receptions: 21
Yards: 323
TDs: 3
Average: 15.4 yards per reception
Longest reception: 72 yards

I'm gonna enjoy watching Charlie--and Tyrone Tracy--battle for the Big Ten title while KF, BF, Barnett, and the rest of the Hawkeyes keep repeating, "Offense doesn't matter. Offense doesn't matter. Offense doesn't matter."

Congrats again to Charlie Jones for having the guts to make a life-changing decision rather than rotting away under some misguided sense of "loyalty" in Iowa City. And just for the record, I told this board so long before the season began.

Don’t care that he transferred, didn’t like his timing. After spring ball, left his team and teammates. He will carry that distinction, karma is a bitch.
And Kirk will carry the destination of screwing over the program to hook up his son yet again, totally agree karma is a bitch. I hope the Ferentz family enjoyed watching Purdue hoist the big ten west trophy and is available to watch the game on Saturday. Plenty of time for that and an ice cream party

Don’t care that he transferred, didn’t like his timing. After spring ball, left his team and teammates. He will carry that distinction, karma is a bitch.
Jones leaving Petras is like James Bond leaving Rosie Odonnell.

Carry the distinction of being an Iowa receiver, current or former, that led the big ten in receiving yards??? He’ll probably take that all day!

Reactions: Thunderlips71

Who cares when he leaves?
What difference does it make?
There is no unwritten rule about timing.
This is a dumb bitter fan thing you just made up.

Reactions: frydaze
Who cares when he leaves?
What difference does it make?
There is no unwritten rule about timing.
This is a dumb bitter fan thing you just made up.
Because it leaves the coaches with no time to find an equivalent replacement. Or did Brian scream at him and hurt his feelings too?

• Haha
Reactions: frydaze
Because it leaves the coaches with no time to find an equivalent replacement. Or did Brian scream at him and hurt his feelings too?
Maybe he left in the spring because nothing was done about the quarterback or coaching situation. He allowed time for them to do something about it and nothing so done so he left.

LOL at no time finding a replacement. Nothing like the worst offense in history finding time to replace a 4th stringer hhaahah

He was competing for Starting WR reps, and assumed he would not get them. Not sure what was holding him back in the room, but it sure wasn't speed and hands.

No rule or etiquette broken, it just would have been nice to use his reps in Spring Ball to get someone else ready.

Also, more of the thought that this was a unique opportunity arising from his relationship with Aiden. Maybe, as long-time friends, they were in the habit of comparing notes during the year, and after Spring Ball, Charlie was encouraged by Aiden, after Aiden had talked with Brohm. Just bad timing for Iowa as it turned out.

Last edited:
Reactions: dekhawk
I believe that Charlie Jones would have also broken out at Iowa too. He is a hell of a talent. Would he of received 97 receptions? Probably not, but look at Tyrone Tracy JR stats, barely an uptick. To me the later didn't really justify leaving. Jones has been well documented that he knew the QB in grade school and that is what helped motivate him leaving. Here at Iowa Charlie Jones would have continued to be a threat in the punt returns (he had 700 less return yards in 2022 at Purdue) & probably would have had around 50 catches. So his all purpose yards would probably be net around the same. With Charlie Jones I would guess, we would have for sure made the BIG Championship game.

Thanks for the sour grapes...

Reactions: BCRoss89
I believe that Charlie Jones would have also broken out at Iowa too. He is a hell of a talent. Would he of received 97 receptions? Probably not, but look at Tyrone Tracy JR stats, barely an uptick. To me the later didn't really justify leaving. Jones has been well documented that he knew the QB in grade school and that is what helped motivate him leaving. Here at Iowa Charlie Jones would have continued to be a threat in the punt returns (he had 700 less return yards in 2022 at Purdue) & probably would have had around 50 catches. So his all purpose yards would probably be net around the same. With Charlie Jones I would guess, we would have for sure made the BIG Championship game.

Thanks for the sour grapes...
Exactly, echoing many of my same thoughts. He took a very big risk grabbing for the Brass Ring. As a result, does Charlie go sooner in the Pro Draft? I still don't see him going in the first 2 Rounds. Maybe early 3rd but as late as 5th round? Good luck Charlie.

Reactions: jo2knight
Personally, I liked it better when to change teams in the Big Ten, you had to sit/lose a year of eligibility. That did a very good job of preventing teams from poaching each other's talent. But that is old school thinking.

Reactions: jo2knight
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT