ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats to Iowa

irunlikeAcieEarl

HB Heisman
Mar 12, 2004
Congratulations to the Iowa Men's Basketball Program on a hard fought and fun season. Thank you to seniors Aaron White, Gabe Olaseni, and Josh Oglesby. You helped get this program back on the right track.

Originally posted by irunlikeAcieEarl:
Congratulations to the Iowa Men's Basketball Program on a hard fought and fun season. Thank you to seniors Aaron White, Gabe Olaseni, and Josh Oglesby. You helped get this program back on the right track.
agree

Hell of a season boys. Thanks to the seniors that came here during the dark ages of Iowa basketball and built it back to this. Been fun and looking forward to next year.

Go Hawks!

+10000000!!! Helluva season. Thanks to the seniors for making Hawkeye basketball fun again. To you juniors, get hungry. Let's make a run in 2016.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by ThatsFootball:
Hell of a season boys. Thanks to the seniors that came here during the dark ages of Iowa basketball and built it back to this. Been fun and looking forward to next year.

Go Hawks!
I couldn't agree more!!

This years seniors were recruited off back to back 20 + loss seasons. They had a chance to go south this year.

They didn't. They did just exactly what they had to, play their best ball down the stretch.

Those three seniors, especially and obviously Aaron White, have left a far far better program than they inherited. They should be very proud of that accomplishment. A hearty job well done is deserved. They will be remembered and missed.

Originally posted by The Sleeping Dog:
This years seniors were recruited off back to back 20 + loss seasons. They had a chance to go south this year.

They didn't. They did just exactly what they had to, play their best ball down the stretch.

Those three seniors, especially and obviously Aaron White, have left a far far better program than they inherited. They should be very proud of that accomplishment. A hearty job well done is deserved. They will be remembered and missed.
+1,000,000

Good season for the Hawks. I'm really going to miss Whitey and Gabe.

If Fran wants to take the next step he needs to recruit better talent. The tournament is about guards and Iowa's guards aren't good enough to beat the top teams. MG, Clemmons, Jok, Josh, are decent B1G guards, but they are slow and not very athletic compared to the better teams. MG is the only decent ball handler of the bunch. They are also all not good shooters, outside of Jok, and he's streaky.

Contrary to what many posters think we don't need 6'6" PG, we need athletic, quick PG's. I don't care if that means the PG is 5'10". Pangos and Ulis show that you can be small and still be the starting PG on the best teams in the country.

Our bigs were fine, but the talent level of guards needs to improve. Guys who can beat someone off the dribble and guys who can shoot beyond the arc. It's tough to win when all your points are coming inside the arc. Tough to beat good teams like this and it's tough to play catch up ball this way. Fran needs to recruit a PG (even if it's a backup) who can shoot the 3 ball. Watching the Zags sag off of MG and dare him to shoot a 3 pointer was painful to watch.

Again, good season. Let's strive for better next year and the following years, and that will require Fran landing more top 150 players. Contrary to what one poster thinks, rankings do matter.

Congratulations, Hawkeyes, on the best season in years. We just ran into a team that would beat us 9 out of 10 times.

Thank you White, Gabe, Josh, and Kyle! On next year. Go Fran! Find one more great player.

Originally posted by PhantomFlyer:

If Fran wants to take the next step he needs to recruit better talent. The tournament is about guards and Iowa's guards aren't good enough to beat the top teams. MG, Clemmons, Jok, Josh, are decent B1G guards, but they are slow and not very athletic compared to the better teams. MG is the only decent ball handler of the bunch. They are also all not good shooters, outside of Jok, and he's streaky.

Contrary to what many posters think we don't need 6'6" PG, we need athletic, quick PG's. I don't care if that means the PG is 5'10". Pangos and Ulis show that you can be small and still be the starting PG on the best teams in the country.

Our bigs were fine, but the talent level of guards needs to improve. Guys who can beat someone off the dribble and guys who can shoot beyond the arc. It's tough to win when all your points are coming inside the arc. Tough to beat good teams like this and it's tough to play catch up ball this way. Fran needs to recruit a PG (even if it's a backup) who can shoot the 3 ball. Watching the Zags sag off of MG and dare him to shoot a 3 pointer was painful to watch.

Again, good season. Let's strive for better next year and the following years, and that will require Fran landing more top 150 players. Contrary to what one poster thinks, rankings do matter.
Fran understand this. It's pretty clear to me that he is setting up the 2016 recruiting up such that he has a lot to sell to a top notch PG & big man. Williams will be the back up PG and also play in the 2 & 3 spots. Has a lot to sell in terms of an extremely athletic team to compliment a top notch PG & big man recruit.

I will say congrats to the seniors though. We are back in the tourney. Nice job guys, just want more.

Originally posted by skydog0784:

Fran understand this. It's pretty clear to me that he is setting up the 2016 recruiting up such that he has a lot to sell to a top notch PG & big man. Williams will be the back up PG and also play in the 2 & 3 spots. Has a lot to sell in terms of an extremely athletic team to compliment a top notch PG & big man recruit.
+1 to Skydog and +1 thanks to the seniors

Originally posted by skydog0784:

I hope he can land a top 30-40 player who's a PG in the 2016 class, because even if Williams can play PG, he's likely not an elite PG (if he was he'd be playing that in HS). It's going to be tough for a freshman PG to help Iowa be a tourney team, but if Fran can get a Ulis level talent then we are in business.

Originally posted by irunlikeAcieEarl:
Yep.

I was hoping we could take that next step. Each year we've been slowly building bit by bit to get back into a tournament contender and this year I wanted to see if we could take that next step of winning an NCAA tournament game. Not just be there, but to compete and win, and we certainly did that.

Now the goal will be to stretch that even further.......and maybe, hopefully, do some damage in the Big Ten (and friggin conference tournament) as well.................

Hawks have a lot coming back but White and Oleseni will be missed. I think Uhl will play a lot next year, won't match White's output but I expect Jok to be stronger and should contribute more offensively, Woody has to get bigger and stronger. Gessell and Sapp should hold down the point and Uthoff could be a beat if he adds 10 lb. of muscle.

Will be interesting who will see a lot of minutes from the freshman class because Fran will not play a six man rotation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT