ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats to Kathleen Doyle

Wow! Isn't this somewhat unexpected?

Edit: just noticed that it was in the 2nd round...
Pick 14 was the second pick in the second round. I believe Gustafson's first round pick last year was also double digits, so actually very close.

Edit: actually Gustafson was drafted in the second round, 17th overall. So Doyle actually surpassed her.

She's going to the team with Kelsey Mitchell. She may never see the ball. They've got two good young post players in Teresa McCowan and Lauren Cox. Hope she gets a chance to play. Congratulations to Kathleen.

Wow! Isn't this somewhat unexpected?

Edit: just noticed that it was in the 2nd round...
Pick 14 was the second pick in the second round. I believe Gustafson's first round pick last year was also double digits, so actually very close.

Edit: actually Gustafson was drafted in the second round, 17th overall. So Doyle actually surpassed her.

Overall pick #14 sounds pretty good until you realize that there are only 12 WNBA teams and that the WNBA is limited to 144 roster spots for the entire league (12 players on each of 12 teams). So once a player is drafted past the first round, it is increasingly harder to make a team.

Look at Megan Gustafson (Dallas Wings). A year ago she was the reigning National Player of the Year, yet just the 5th pick of the 2nd round (17th overall pick). She got cut by the Wings on May 22, just before opening day. Iowa fans, of course, were outraged. ;) Dallas re-signed Megan 22 days later, on June 13, but only after they announced that they lost 2 players (Tayler Hill would have knee surgery and Glory Johnson went to Women’s EuroBasket to play for Montenegro).

And the next question is, will there even be a WNBA season this summer due to the coronavirus? I am guessing the answer will be no. We shall see.

And if there are training camps and a season this year? According to ESPN, post-draft, Indiana has 17 currently on their roster; so 5 players will eventually need to be cut. LINK to roster: https://www.espn.com/wnba/team/roster/_/name/ind/indiana-fever

From ESPN.com:

Post-Draft Analysis
It made sense [for the Indiana Fever] to go big in the first round because Erica Wheeler is set at point guard, but it makes sense now to get some insurance for Wheeler down the road -- or at least someone to compete for a roster spot in camp. Like Megan Gustafson, her former Iowa teammate, Doyle is going to have to prove she has the quickness for the WNBA. But she has good all-around skills at point. -- Graham Hays

EV2NNhFUMAEet1e

Really tough to make a WNBA roster. I'm still amazed Logic didn't stick. I also thought the Australian guard from ISU a few years ago (Lacey?) would stick, and she didn't. OTOH, I'd think Doyle is assured of making decent money in Europe as long as she's healthy.

I also thought the Australian guard from ISU a few years ago (Lacey?) would stick, and she didn't. .

That was more Allison than anything. Seattle wanted her back and she just didn't have the desire to continue to play at that level. I was around her quite a bit for a few of her ISU years and she was very unique and amazingly interesting. I think her travels and being so far from home gave her a different perspective and she didn't like being "away from home" again.

Yeah I even tuned in. I was hoping to watch her play. I will watch Megan this afternoon.

ADVERTISEMENT