ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats Tristan Wirfs

When Iowa trench boys are standout wrestlers they tend to be pretty solid football players, cant wait to see him in action
The advantage of a wrestling background is that those guys usually understand more about leverage than the average football player. Additionally, guys who are good wrestlers are usually pretty good with their hands ... while I'd argue that this latter aspect helps even more with D-linemen ... it also helps with O-linemen too. Wrestlers also tend to have pretty good "bend" ... and that is definitely an attribute that the Hawkeye coaches look for. Lastly, successful wrestlers tend to have great work-ethics ... so that obviously translates to college football too.

However, other attributes are really important for O-linemen too. It's enormously useful to be "nasty" and be uber-competitive ... often the more aggressive the better. Often when you look at wrestling at the higher weights ... the wrestling can often be more strategic and defensive ... hence, having there be fairly low scoring matches. That aspect doesn't translate to the OL quite so well. Big guys who are good basketball players often have great feet, they move well ... and they're often really competitive. Those attributes translate really well to the OL too.

I've been curious about why guys like Keppy and Sealby - both of whom were very good wrestlers - didn't ever really manage to make a splash on the OL. Which attributes counted against them? How close were they to earning playing time?

I know that guys like Welsh and Yanda just have a "nastiness" to them on the playing field ... it just translates to the game. You have Blythe, an excellent wrestler, who was an excellent technician ... who also seemed to like to finish plays too.

Reactions: NevadaHawk and Ree4
The kid is pretty huge. Since he's young, he still has plenty of "bad weight" that he'll be able to transform under his tutelage with Doyle.
I'm particularly curious about where he'll end up seeing the most action on the field - OT or OG. Kallenberger was a pretty sought after recruit ... particularly early in the recruiting season. Once Kallenberger committed to Iowa - his recruitment essentially "shut down." I'm really excited about Kallenberger too.

In fact, Kirkpatrick was our earliest commit if memory serves ... the coaches really liked him from very early on. I'm curious what we'll end up seeing out of him.

What was his weight before the wrestling cut? Not that it'll be any difficulty getting it back.
312 I believe. Lost it before Christmas then gained back because he thought he'd be too light at Army AA game, got back around 300 then lost it again.

Reactions: pink shizzle
The advantage of a wrestling background is that those guys usually understand more about leverage than the average football player. Additionally, guys who are good wrestlers are usually pretty good with their hands ... while I'd argue that this latter aspect helps even more with D-linemen ... it also helps with O-linemen too. Wrestlers also tend to have pretty good "bend" ... and that is definitely an attribute that the Hawkeye coaches look for. Lastly, successful wrestlers tend to have great work-ethics ... so that obviously translates to college football too.

However, other attributes are really important for O-linemen too. It's enormously useful to be "nasty" and be uber-competitive ... often the more aggressive the better. Often when you look at wrestling at the higher weights ... the wrestling can often be more strategic and defensive ... hence, having there be fairly low scoring matches. That aspect doesn't translate to the OL quite so well. Big guys who are good basketball players often have great feet, they move well ... and they're often really competitive. Those attributes translate really well to the OL too.

I've been curious about why guys like Keppy and Sealby - both of whom were very good wrestlers - didn't ever really manage to make a splash on the OL. Which attributes counted against them? How close were they to earning playing time?

I know that guys like Welsh and Yanda just have a "nastiness" to them on the playing field ... it just translates to the game. You have Blythe, an excellent wrestler, who was an excellent technician ... who also seemed to like to finish plays too.
Great Post -I watch his championship match replay last night this kid has a bounce in his step by that I mean most 285 lb guys step back or forward he has unbelievable feet he just bounces around like a little guy.Im going to say in a year or 2 he will be the top player in this years recruiting class.I know how good AJ is but wow this kid has it.
He throws the shot over 60ft and Discus around 190 I think that takes great feet.

Great Post -I watch his championship match replay last night this kid has a bounce in his step by that I mean most 285 lb guys step back or forward he has unbelievable feet he just bounces around like a little guy.Im going to say in a year or 2 he will be the top player in this years recruiting class.I know how good AJ is but wow this kid has it.
He throws the shot over 60ft and Discus around 190 I think that takes great feet.
AJ throws 205 in discus and is pretty good at basketball. I agree Wirfs is a great athlete for his size just don't know if he's better than AJ.

AJ throws 205 in discus and is pretty good at basketball. I agree Wirfs is a great athlete for his size just don't know if he's better than AJ.
I understand this TW throws over 60 ft in shot and AJ 53 so they both are great athletic

Both will be great.... Wirfs would have been 3rd in all class shot, similar to wrestling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT