ADVERTISEMENT

Congratulations Iowa on being the first state in America that defeated COVID-19!!!

Incorrect.

It is UIHC -- the only Level 1 trauma center in the state. When it is full, that means no transfers. That means worse outcomes for patients not only across Iowa, but in neighboring states as well.

Declaring COVID no longer an "emergency" is empty rhetoric when the ongoing pandemic means delayed treatments, filled hospitals and other actual emergencies.

Methodist in Des Moines IA also level 1 ya jerk

Job well done Kim! Her pretending to care about all those people who either got severely ill or died from Covid for nearly 3 whole years must have been exhausting work.
Drama queen much? How was she supposed to show she cared more? Not much for math if you think it’s 3 years just turned 2 actually. Did your boy Cuomo show he cared more? 😉

Reactions: EagleHawk
If you believe the state’s numbers, hospital Covid patients are down 200 in the last week. About half of last year’s peak. Doesn’t mean they’re not near full but certainly appears they’re improving rapidly.
There was nearly a 90 patient drop in Covid over the last 2 days between the 3 hospitals.

Reactions: acuhawk
12% Covid patients use about 50% of their bed capacity, based on them taking up beds for >4x longer than "regular" patients.
What is their bed capacity now with the healthcare mandate? How many have left the workforce or moved jobs after working for a year plus without the vaccine?

I think I can help with this whole PaN Pam thing...

What is their bed capacity now with the healthcare mandate?

How many have (nurses) left the workforce, or moved jobs, after working for a year plus without the vaccine?
It doesn't have much to do with the healthcare mandate. Most healthcare systems required it long ago. It's nurses leaving to get paid 4x more as a "traveling" nurse. Some will just go across the street and others will get their rent, travel and food paid for in another state.

Reactions: Joes Place
It doesn't have much to do with the healthcare mandate. Most healthcare systems required it long ago. It's nurses leaving to get paid 4x more as a "traveling" nurse. Some will just go across the street and others will get their rent, travel and food paid for in another state.
I apologize for the confusion. I was not actually asking the question, just mearly altering it in a way Joe won't be able to play dumb to. I do appreciate the response.

Do you really not know anybody that has changed their residency to avoid paying those taxes? I'm not close to retirement age yet and I know several.
Give Joel a break. He can't afford any state that has zero state taxes, not even SoDak.

He ain't gonna listen to facts.

Incorrect.

It is UIHC -- the only Level 1 trauma center in the state. When it is full, that means no transfers. That means worse outcomes for patients not only across Iowa, but in neighboring states as well.

Declaring COVID no longer an "emergency" is empty rhetoric when the ongoing pandemic means delayed treatments, filled hospitals and other actual emergencies.
I work for UIHC and I did not get an "emergency capacity warning". In the this pandemic, I have yet to get an "emergency capacity warning".

I'll check my mail in the morning to see if that this is there and get back to you. As of today, UIHC had 60 Adult Covid + patients and 5 Peds + patients. We are far from "at emergency capacity" and haven't shut electives or clinics.

Outstanding.

“We cannot continue to suspend duly enacted laws and treat COVID-19 as a public health emergency indefinitely. After two years, it’s no longer feasible or necessary. The flu and other infectious illnesses are part of our everyday lives, and coronavirus can be managed similarly,” stated Gov. Reynolds. “State agencies will now manage COVID-19 as part of normal daily business, and reallocate resources that have been solely dedicated to the response effort to serve other important needs for Iowans.”

Reactions: Crafty Beaver
Congrats iowa. Wish we could do the same. My kid missed 3 days of school this week because some kid in his class was in class last Friday and tested positive over the weekend.

Ridiculous.

Who was that other guy who said “Mission Accomplished!”?
Uh. The largest hospital system in the state literally issued an emergency notification about COVID this morning:

mission_accomplish_1112950c.jpg
As someone who whines about misinformation so much it’s pretty ironic that you both post this misinformation.

I work for UIHC and I did not get an "emergency capacity warning". In the this pandemic, I have yet to get an "emergency capacity warning".

I'll check my mail in the morning to see if that this is there and get back to you. As of today, UIHC had 60 Adult Covid + patients and 5 Peds + patients. We are far from "at emergency capacity" and haven't shut electives or clinics.
@torbee

I will you know listen to the guy with actual numbers

and thankfully UIHC has emergency room capacity as we know of multiple people transferred there in last week for non Covid related issues

Well I know first hand from a number of healthcare workers who have been let go.

Quite a lot more have been quitting, dealing with MAGA outbursts from anti-vaxxers claiming they don't have Covid, and from their families threatening them over not feeding them pee or horse paste.

I imagine the families of nearly 9,000 dead Iowans might disagree.

But those families likely aren't the folks donating to her reelection campaign.
Not fetuses, so they don’t matter to Kimmie.

Reactions: MitchLL
No I don’t. I know a lot of folks who have purchased out of state property but are Iowa residents. I have two golf buddies that retired, one moved to Arizona and came back to Iowa 3 years later. One more friend who moved to Florida, lived there about a year and a half and moved back ( too many people!).
Now both guys get out if DSM at Christmas and return April 1…they leave because of shitty weather…both Ladd and told me it is no cheaper living in Ariz or Flor… unless you wanna step back, downsize and economize.
Again… Iowa taxes might be a Eason for leaving but I guarantee you, the phuquin’ winter weather is the reason old data leave Iowa. You don’t have to shovel snow and u can’t slip in the ice when it’s 45f!
If you're not grandfathered in, in Florida you are going to pay a hell lot more than those that have lived in the state 10 years. I spent 8 winters in Fl and got tired of moving back and forth every 5-6 months and the traffic is crazy Nov- April.

There is all kinds of money tied into this. I believe the federal government is calling an end to it in April. There are around 200,000 Iowans alone that are on Medicaid still due to this that are likely not going to be eligible any longer when their case gets reviewed in April. This will be a shot to medical systems. Another factor is SNAP benefits will no longer be maxed out after March due to Kim’s decision. I believe this could have lasted a few months longer if she just went with the federal government’s date. This is hundreds of thousands of dollars being injected into Iowa grocery stores. The federal government has been providing states the money to cover this. Like ending the unemployment early, this decision makes 0 business or economic sense as she is literally passing up federal money being pumped into our local economies. Most people just do not understand the issue enough and she does not get hurt by these stupid decisions.
Superb post.

Do you log on to Epic? There's been a capacity warning for quite a while now. Maybe you just ignor it? Nurse to patient ratios are getting to concerning numbers. What was once 1 to 4 as a norm is now 1 to 6 on some floors. The state has also started funding ~30 nurses to come to UIHC through a federal program if I'm not mistaken, which mostly staff our ICU. Nurses were also re-assigned a couple weeks ago to inpatient units to help decrease those ratios. We are also testing every patient again, which is causing quite a few problems when a positive result returns due to shared rooms. There was also an elevated number of ED admits today causing quite the sh*t show navigating patients since we are at max capacity and not canceling electives.

I'm not saying the sky is falling, but this "mission accomplished" came in the middle of what appears to be the final fire fight. It should likely have waited until then end of the month when the projections actually show a reduction in the concerning numbers that were shared in January.

Kim and the GOP wanna big tax cut for their base, and the $2B the Feds gave Iowa last year us the key to doing this! The cut is not sustainable but via continues “cuts” to human services, water quality programs and public education, the GOP will accomplish their goal… and Iowa will continue its race to be the next Kansas, Arkansas or Mississippi! Taxes, once lowered will be hard to raise. Sales tax will get larger, bet on it. The rich and wealthy will escape their weight and their specials interests (private schools, businesses and income) will be further protected… meanwhile more deserving, hard working Iowans will pick up the riches load as much as possible.
That is the way life works in Republican America/Iowa!

Reactions: torbee and MitchLL
The only thing that makes any sense is Reynolds is effing up as much shit as she can so that her successor looks even more incompetent than she is.

Once she appoints herself to Senile Chuck's seat, the poor bastard that follows her will be left with a huge financial mess.

Mississippi North, and apparently proud as hell about it.

Now on to giving us retirees the tax break WE deserve!
Come on Kim! I’d hate to move from Iowa because I have to pay a state income tax!
Never thought I would say this, but I finally found a reason to support a tax raise.

See ya Karen.

Kim and the GOP wanna big tax cut for their base, and the $2B the Feds gave Iowa last year us the key to doing this! The cut is not sustainable but via continues “cuts” to human services, water quality programs and public education, the GOP will accomplish their goal… and Iowa will continue its race to be the next Kansas, Arkansas or Mississippi! Taxes, once lowered will be hard to raise. Sales tax will get larger, bet on it. The rich and wealthy will escape their weight and their specials interests (private schools, businesses and income) will be further protected… meanwhile more deserving, hard working Iowans will pick up the riches load as much as possible.
That is the way life works in Republican America/Iowa!
There have to be significant tax increases - likely on corporations and the wealthy to reverse the damage already done - to cover the massive deficit spending over the past decades and now during Covid.

Everyone freaks out at $1T or $3T on "domestic spending over 10 years, when our military spend during that same timeframe is $8T. Invest in energy infrastructure that weans us off Saudi/ME oil, and your military spend can reasonably be cut in half.

Reactions: torbee
Realizing reality is a good thing. You can't control it, you can't fight it. Help people cope

The hospital is not full of Covid patients. And, their alert did not reference Covid.
But, you (and the author of that tweet) turned it into a Covid based issue.
Just 12% of their inpatient beds are covid related.
My students were in a local hospital icu yesterday for clinicals. Every bed in the icu had a covid patient on a ventilator. Saturday, there is a funeral for a local fire department captain who died of Covid pneumonia.

• Wow
Do you log on to Epic? There's been a capacity warning for quite a while now. Maybe you just ignor it? Nurse to patient ratios are getting to concerning numbers. What was once 1 to 4 as a norm is now 1 to 6 on some floors. The state has also started funding ~30 nurses to come to UIHC through a federal program if I'm not mistaken, which mostly staff our ICU. Nurses were also re-assigned a couple weeks ago to inpatient units to help decrease those ratios. We are also testing every patient again, which is causing quite a few problems when a positive result returns due to shared rooms. There was also an elevated number of ED admits today causing quite the sh*t show navigating patients since we are at max capacity and not canceling electives.

I'm not saying the sky is falling, but this "mission accomplished" came in the middle of what appears to be the final fire fight. It should likely have waited until then end of the month when the projections actually show a reduction in the concerning numbers that were shared in January.
Maintenence guys don't log into epic. He just checks his emails and then goes off to find some corner to paint for the 20th time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT