ADVERTISEMENT

Congratulations to Flo on prognostication of Iowa chances

I should have known better. I never criticized your picks. I responded to your sarcastic/joke post. Later in the thread you decided to post your picks and your thoughts. Which were valid and made sense.

My 2nd post was to question why not leave out the sarcastic/joke post and skip to the constructive post?

Reactions: wasdt21
I don't think FLO hates us. I'm sure they all have their "personal favorites", afterall they've been fans of the sport for years and it's hard to just "shut that out" altogether. At this point I think it's become just a "fun" game of needling some of us on here that get too worked up over some of their predictions. The Cowgirls were favored on paper and it should be expected that some of our guys would need to earn future picks. Rutgers might have been a bit of a stretch but they gave pretty good background info on why ASU was chosen to win Midlands. FLO and Willie don't hate us but I'm 83% sure that Willie enjoys (at least a little bit) taking an opportunity here and there to have some f** by getting under some of our skin.
p.s. Make your money FLO, just be sure to keep streaming tons of content for me, outside of that I'm just jealous I don't have your job! I mean if it were me, I'd be picking against as many F** St., Goofers, Cowgirls, and fOSU guys as possible.

Ok so Nomad is named Hawkeyes report anylist of the week. The "Materhead Moore" pick, over Bowman shows a real lack knowledge in the picks. Cmon man, who didn't see that coming. Moore was blowing oil 30 seconds in.

The Wrestling Nomad @wrestlingnomad

In Willie's defense, he was the second best at picking. The original post named Flo as a unit. The only pick by Willie that causes me to shake my head is at heavyweight. The other 2 had on orange and black glasses. You just don't pick every single possibly close match to go against the home team unless you are nutty. I use to hear all the Flo bias talk on here and just figured it was Hawk biased folks spouting off. Now, with all the picks so far, there is a pattern.

The Wrestling Nomad @wrestlingnomad

In Willie's defense, he was the second best at picking. The original post named Flo as a unit. The only pick by Willie that causes me to shake my head is at heavyweight. The other 2 had on orange and black glasses. You just don't pick every single possibly close match to go against the home team unless you are nutty. I use to hear all the Flo bias talk on here and just figured it was Hawk biased folks spouting off. Now, with all the picks so far, there is a pattern.

Its not like Stoll went out and dominated...it went into OT. Sam has traditionally had a tough time against fast moving big guys. He seems to have solved some of that.

I don't see predicting Okla St to win as evidence of anti-iowa bias.

On paper, Iowa was the underdog, and that's okay. FLO's guys want to be correct in their picks, so intentionally picking against a favorite would make no sense.

In the past I think FLO's pro PSU, pro Cael bias has been evident...e.g. I recall during a match up of #2Hoffman v #1Beard, one of the FLO announcers noted that Beard was headed to PSU, while Hoffman "had to settle" for tOSU.

But I think FLO has improved. Nomad has noted the importance of getting top tier recruits as critical to success, rather than the old, 'oh my, look at how Cael develops wrestlers better than anyone else' mantra.

Don't respond to criticism and stay above the fray? He's a regular guy that happens to have a job in wrestling media. I believe his personality as much as his expertise helped him land the job. Do you expect Willie to be more professional than the POTUS?
While I may approach things differently if I was in his shoes, Willie gonna Willie and I'm ok with it even when I don't agree with his POV.

Willie gonna wank... FIFA

Its not like Stoll went out and dominated...it went into OT. Sam has traditionally had a tough time against fast moving big guys. He seems to have solved some of that.

Stoll himself showed some real quickness last night, and it was critical.

One other point...Lee came out and dominated, up 8-1 in first period, including a 4 pt NF. By the end of the match, it was closer, and Pic had him in trouble. Lee has a very high ceiling, but I wouldn't assume he'll TF everyone. The likely matchup with Tomasello should be interesting.

I don't see predicting Okla St to win as evidence of anti-iowa bias.

On paper, Iowa was the underdog, and that's okay. FLO's guys want to be correct in their picks, so intentionally picking against a favorite would make no sense.
They did pick against Wilke and Stoll (higher ranked on paper). They are suppose to use their enhanced wrestling knowledge to pick what appears to be a favorite. Picking against Stoll was a horrible pick "on paper". Common opponent majored OSU and Stoll majored that guy. Picking against Lee seemed insane too. No toss-ups picked for Iowa in Carver Hawkeye. That smells like a rat anyway you slice it. 3 strikes and you are out. They have been way off all 3 times.

Reactions: Dagboi and el dub
No toss-ups picked for Iowa in Carver Hawkeye.

this was my biggest issue as well. how the hell can you not have one of the toss-ups go to IA when you're wrestling IN CHA!!! (more so aimed at CP & KB)

ALSO: can't wait to hear the discussion of this thread on FRL tomorrow

Last edited:
The only Flo guy that really makes me cringe is CP. For a guy whose profession is predicated upon knowing wrestling, he is one of the least knowledgeable wrestling guys out there.

He should spend less time dismissing Nomad and more time getting caught up to speed on the sport. Or at least be funny, charismatic, or entertaining. He just comes off as a self-righteous dork.

Name me a credible national media outlet that exists today? I bet if you list 20 of them, we would have a hard time getting 50% of HR to agree that any of them are credible.
Soooo, the The criteria for credible news outlets is now 50% of what HR agrees is credible.
Not that I GAF one way or another but seems like a pretty arbitrary standard .

I really could care less who anyone picks, I did find it baffling when cp said all the data points to Piccininni. He ended up finally picking Spencer. But I wish one of his co hosts would have asked him what data he was referring to. Because in the history of their careers I couldn't think of one data point that suggested Pic would win. I also find it very strange, that he dont think carver magic is a thing. He had us losing 65-hwt???? I would have been shocked if that happened. Willie wanted to go with Spencer, but cp goaded him into switching last minute..He played you Willie!!

Don't respond to criticism and stay above the fray? He's a regular guy that happens to have a job in wrestling media. I believe his personality as much as his expertise helped him land the job. Do you expect Willie to be more professional than the POTUS?
While I may approach things differently if I was in his shoes, Willie gonna Willie and I'm ok with it even when I don't agree with his POV.

Thanks PBS - you made me bust up laughing at that!! :p

I really could care less who anyone picks, I did find it baffling when cp said all the data points to Piccininni. He ended up finally picking Spencer. But I wish one of his co hosts would have asked him what data he was referring to. Because in the history of their careers I couldn't think of one data point that suggested Pic would win. I also find it very strange, that he dont think carver magic is a thing. He had us losing 65-hwt???? I would have been shocked if that happened. Willie wanted to go with Spencer, but cp goaded him into switching last minute..He played you Willie!!

Spencer literally just lost to an inferior wrestler in Bresser and then injury defaulted out of the consis less than 2 weeks ago. Picc is a returning 4th place finisher and the highest quality opponent Spencer has ever faced. He passed that test, but it was a very fair thing to favor Picc, even though I picked Spencer (by bonus, actually).

For the record, I do not have a burr under my saddle. I just don't consider their knowledge as being good. A couple of the guys there seem to be clueless. I'm not hot about it, just recognizing their accuracy is lacking and bias.

Spencer literally just lost to an inferior wrestler in Bresser and then injury defaulted out of the consis less than 2 weeks ago. Picc is a returning 4th place finisher and the highest quality opponent Spencer has ever faced. He passed that test, but it was a very fair thing to favor Picc, even though I picked Spencer (by bonus, actually).

Nothing inferior about Bresser.

The Great thing about all of us............

Is none of us are Biased...........

Against (insert inferior hated rival team name) o_O

Just over perform at Big Tens and Nationals and win them both and get the last laugh. No doubt Willie still thinks that is a pipe dream. They think we have a shot at a trophyo_O

I don’t think a Picc over Lee prediction was necessarily laughable. I personally expected Lee to win, but once again a lot of people would probably want to see it first to believe it. Quite frankly, Lee was lucky to get a big early lead, because without it he would have lost the match wrestling the way he did in periods 2 & 3.

Maybe Lee was tired because of all the energy he spent racking up 1st period points.

You guys are ridiculous. In the earliest days of Flo(when Martin was on the road) they latched on to Iowa as a source for compelling original content. Martin had to do his fair share of selling to gain the access he did. They were free then too and gave never before seen looks at everyday life in the program. To this day, I would bet that Flo has more minutes of video coverage on the Hawks than anyone in the sport.

You must also recognize that Flo brings a level recognition to this sport that wouldn’t be available otherwise. They pick OSU? Who cares. They are having daily round table discussions about a sport that televised the NCAA finals at 3:00am in 1999.

Maybe Lee was tired because of all the energy he spent racking up 1st period points.

Yeah, entirely possible. There are a couple wrestlers out there that he might not be able to jump up big on in the 1st (like the 4’11” brick shithouse he has on Sunday) For those guys, he better have something more left for the last half of the match than he did yesterday.

Reactions: Dagboi
Yeah, entirely possible. There are a couple wrestlers out there that he might not be able to jump up big on in the 1st (like the 4’11” brick shithouse he has on Sunday) For those guys, he better have something more left for the last half of the match than he did yesterday.
May have been an adrenaline dump being his 1st big match at CHA. He wouldn't be the 1st to have that happen to them.

On the other hand Picc may have been caught in the moment early as well. His face was flushed after the 1st score but seemed to relax and ease into the match as it progressed.

Spencer literally just lost to an inferior wrestler in Bresser
( Bresser is inferior to whom? Picc? No chance )
and then injury defaulted out of the consis less than 2 weeks ago
,( wrong it was over 2 weeks ago. But no one (ncaa, any ranking services) count that data )

Picc is a returning 4th place finisher

.(He got 4th in a tournament spencer was not in. who cares? It is data i guess but meaningless data, Did all the data also favor Piotrowski, when he wrestled Spencer? He Got 4th in the big ten and qualified for the national tournament.)
and the highest quality opponent Spencer has ever faced.
(Lol, not even close )
He passed that test, but it was a very fair thing to favor Picc,
(Never said it wasn't fair. Said it was wrong, and was wondering why none of his co hosts asked him what in the hell he was talking about) even though I picked Spencer (by bonus, actually).

Typically when someone says the data favors one guy or another they look at tournaments, where one guy outplaced or common opponents.
the only relevant common opponet (in college) is Sean Russell

spencer beat him(more then 2 weeks ago) 15-0 Picc is 1-2 vs him losing 2 close matches and winning 1.

Im not going to get into the other data points like previous accolades. But trust me they all favor Spencer. Like I said pick whoever you want that dont offend me at all. But if you say your basing it on x or y favors one guy tell me what x is? Cause I sure dont see it

Soooo, the The criteria for credible news outlets is now 50% of what HR agrees is credible.
Not that I GAF one way or another but seems like a pretty arbitrary standard .
Which was exactly my point. Is FLO a credible sports new outlet? It depends on who is answering that question and their definition of "credible" which we will never get consensus on. But you don't gaf so not sure why I am responding.

I picked stoll!

that being said - it was an OT match where White was game.
Just listened to the frl today - it's soooo biased not just against Iowa either. Michigan wrestled a GREAT dual and likely got screwed at 84. Flo: not so much Michigan being good - penn state didn't bring there A game. Riiiiiight flo - come on - penn state is great team but Iowa and Michigan came to wrestle this weekend - ADMIT IT!!

Reactions: Dagboi
Apologies, Hawk fans.

it's inexcusable.

I just held a meeting with the Flo staff and told them that when making all future predictions they must pick Iowa or an Iowa wrestler.
Well, you don't have to pick Iowa, but (edit: collectively apparently) going 0-3 on things of this nature ain't good son. (don't care either way to be honest, but couldn't resist)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dagboi and Tcalumet
ADVERTISEMENT