ADVERTISEMENT

Congress Then and Now

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
Just one former Congressperson's opinion and probably a little prettier in the rear view mirror that at the time, but it's interesting:

...we got the War Powers Act. And yet, nobody seems to want to comply with it, do they?

It’s just absolutely amazing to me what has happened to that Congress, when I think about where we’ve been and where we haven’t been of late. So, we also had impeachment going on. We had the '73 war in Israel going on. When people say to me, "Oh, but things are different now, because the issues are so hard," I keep saying, "Are you kidding me?

We had Vietnam, the ’73 war, impeachment. I mean, how many more things can you juggle at one time?" And yet, we were treating each other, even if we disagreed, with respect and decency, and debating on the facts. And what worries me so much today is that I don't see that at all. I see name calling, and it really reminds me of the junior high lunch room. It’s just one food fight after another. And it’s very sad.

Pat Schroeder

Just one former Congressperson's opinion and probably a little prettier in the rear view mirror that at the time, but it's interesting:

...we got the War Powers Act. And yet, nobody seems to want to comply with it, do they?

It’s just absolutely amazing to me what has happened to that Congress, when I think about where we’ve been and where we haven’t been of late. So, we also had impeachment going on. We had the '73 war in Israel going on. When people say to me, "Oh, but things are different now, because the issues are so hard," I keep saying, "Are you kidding me?

We had Vietnam, the ’73 war, impeachment. I mean, how many more things can you juggle at one time?" And yet, we were treating each other, even if we disagreed, with respect and decency, and debating on the facts. And what worries me so much today is that I don't see that at all. I see name calling, and it really reminds me of the junior high lunch room. It’s just one food fight after another. And it’s very sad.

Pat Schroeder
Pat Schroeder was not known for treating her political opponents with respect and decency. But if she wants to remember it that way, what the hell.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT