ADVERTISEMENT

Connor McCaffery Appreciation Thread

Chishawk1425

HR King
Nov 27, 2019
13 rebounds, damn good D and distribution at the point or off guard, smart fouls when needed. The man is his Dad on the Court. I am very happy he is playing for his Dad and for us the Hawks! Oh, he is also a helleva baseball player! Thanks Connor! Can't wait to get to Carver!

13 rebounds, damn good D and distribution at the point or off guard, smart fouls when needed. The man is his Dad on the Court. I am very happy he is playing for his Dad and for us the Hawks! Oh, he is also a helleva baseball player! Thanks Connor! Can't wait to get to Carver!

God damn I wanted him to throw that shit down in the lane sooo badly. I knew he was going to be a man eventually and he still has so much more.

Hear, Hear!

Every successful teams need good players that don't need to score to make meaningful contributions to winning games.

CMac scrambles all over the court and impacts the game positively in almost every way. Still just a sophomore.

In the off season I thought he'd develop with one possible fatal failing. But now he's at least respectable from 3, the other team isn't backing 5 feet off him and that flaw is not fatal, just less than optimal.

Very hard to believe no foul on the dunk attempt, but not crying about officiating either.

Last edited:
lets hope he gets an ever later start on baseball this year!!

Every great team must have good role players.

If this team is going to do anything special, it will be because of guys like connor and kriener doing the little stuff on the floor, which tip the scale in those wire-to-wire matchups.

Starting to think he is a better college basketball player than he is a college baseball
player. That isn’t me calling him a bad baseball
player, ever since getting moved to the 4 he (and this team) have really upped their game.

Just posted this in another thread but it bears repeating. I was one of Conners biggest critics last year but I was wrong. The kid is a baller and a tough sob. I think his toughness is contagious. I would call him the glue at this point.
Love it man, owning up, eat the Crow and lets go on a ****ing fun ride with this team. Go Hawks!

Connor is the heart of the team and he brings a toughness and a moxie that’s we need. Fran runs some great stuff to get Luka the ball down low. It is amazing. Connor is calling out those sets and distributing like a magician. He is a coach on the floor. People who criticized him last year don’t really know basketball.

Connor is the heart of the team and he brings a toughness and a moxie that’s we need. Fran runs some great stuff to get Luka the ball down low. It is amazing. Connor is calling out those sets and distributing like a magician. He is a coach on the floor. People who criticized him last year don’t really know basketball.
I think the people that were calling him out last year are probably the same one's who dislike Barta, Fran and most things in the Iowa athletic department. They just love to bitch so they can get comments on this forum..???:rolleyes:

I have seen a lot of growth in him from last year to this year. He doesn’t play as out of control and he hasn’t had any temper tantrums. I think he is a very smart player. Tonight I thought he might not be the most athletic-but his court awareness seems to be improving with every game.

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
If he’d have thrown that down it would have been the most shocked I’ve been on a dunk since Gessel threw one down driving through the land. Not because I didn’t think he could dunk...but because I didn’t see it coming.

I think the guys turn to Conner on the court and that has kept Fran from losing his cool this year. The dude is tough.

Last edited:
Kinda reminds me of the kid who played for Michigan st years ago.
Walked through Lute Olsen’s huddle during a time out.
Can’t remember his name right now. Scott something
Conner is a tough minded kid

Last edited:
Connor has really blossomed to show all of his talents at his new Point Forward spot. Luka has spoken about how TC inspired him from last year and JBo has inspired everyone. The no quit attitude has infected the entire team. It was easy to view the tourney games as 1-offs last spring, but it appears they were just the beginning.

If he’d have thrown that down it would have been the most shocked I’ve been on a dunk since Gessel threw one down driving through the land. Not because I didn’t think he could dunk...but because I didn’t see it coming.

I think the guys turn to Conner on the court and that has kept Fran from losing his cool this year. The dude is tough.
I honestly didn’t think he could dunk haha. At 6’5 and athletic, that was probably stupid thinking on my part

The pieces on this team fit together really well.

I think the great Wisconsin team's are still the model for an Iowa type Roster. Connor's role seems somewhat similar to Gasser on the two final-4 teams. Gasser played some PG as Freshman, but found a role as glue guy as Jr/Sr. He was very good defender, passed well, rebounded, had a good handle. Gasser was a killer (to Iowa at least) as late shot clock 3pt shooter but was normally the 4th or 5th scoring option. This Iowa team excels when there are at least 3 other scorers out there with Connor, so that is why getting Fredrick back was step function improvement in this team.

What impresses me about him is his ability to strip or tie up a ball handler or someone driving to the hoop. That's very tough to do cleanly without being called for a foul

Every great team must have good role players.

If this team is going to do anything special, it will be because of guys like connor and kriener doing the little stuff on the floor, which tip the scale in those wire-to-wire matchups.

To be fair to Connor I think he is a bit more than a role player, RK for sure fits that label but Connor is doing a lot lot more than just filling a role. Unless you consider team leaderships and being a floor general as a just role player type of triats (even without the ball in his hands at the pg position). Also, Connor is scoring this year, teams can't just let him shoot open jumpers and his Assist to TO ratio is fantastic.

Last edited:
To be fair to Connor I think he is a bit more than a role player, RK for sure fits that label but Connor is doing a lot lot more than just filling a role. Unless you consider team leaderships and being a floor general as a just role player type of triats (even without the ball in his hands at the pg position). Also, Connor is scoring this year, teams can't just let him shoot open jumpers and his Assist to TO ratio is fantastic.

Kreiner is an extremely good "role player" IMO. Guy's points per minute last night only trailed Garza. He is extremely efficient. His inside and outside game is very good. He averages about 8 pts per game. He is our 6th man.
Connor is extremely underrated, and while he plays more minutes than Kreiner, is right behind him in scoring at about 7 per game. Obviously does just about everything else, as has been covered ad nauseam.

Just posted this in another thread but it bears repeating. I was one of Conners biggest critics last year but I was wrong. The kid is a baller and a tough sob. I think his toughness is contagious. I would call him the glue at this point.
Kcgolfer is the definition of a frontrunner. He's admitting he was wrong? Wow! Who gives a shiite!. As soon as the Hawks hit a bump or two, Kcgolfer will be back with shots at Fran, his son, his recruiting, his technical fouls, his defense, etc, etc. Oh, Kcgolfer will coincidentally wow us with his hoop savviness.

Reactions: hawkeyeinmo
Agree. Would love to see some footage of Fran when he played. The video clip from the Philly trip when they interviewed "Franny's" old coach, he said he see's a lot of "Franny" in Connor. Thought that was kind of cool. Said Frans team never lost a home game while he was the point......

Kreiner is an extremely good "role player" IMO. Guy's points per minute last night only trailed Garza. He is extremely efficient. His inside and outside game is very good. He averages about 8 pts per game. He is our 6th man.
Connor is extremely underrated, and while he plays more minutes than Kreiner, is right behind him in scoring at about 7 per game. Obviously does just about everything else, as has been covered ad nauseam.
Kreiner has really cleaned up his game this year though. Very few silly fouls and turnovers, as was the case in past years. His play has been a big lift recently, especially after his classmate had to sit out the rest of the season.....

Connor has always provided value, just better this year since the ball is not in his hands as much this season. Much better basically playing the 4. Shot is improved this year as well

Kreiner has really cleaned up his game this year though. Very few silly fouls and turnovers, as was the case in past years. His play has been a big lift recently, especially after his classmate had to sit out the rest of the season.....

Seeing Ryan’s progression this year, then like Gabe Olesani you wonder what would have been if he had redshirted having one more year to play?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT