ADVERTISEMENT

Connor McCaffery Appreciation Thread

Just posted this in another thread but it bears repeating. I was one of Conners biggest critics last year but I was wrong. The kid is a baller and a tough sob. I think his toughness is contagious. I would call him the glue at this point.

I recall you saying he should stick to baseball. I also recall you have been spelling his name wrong for over a year.

Eating crow myself. Credit to Connor for working on his game, you can tell the team has a ‘calm’ about them when he’s in too.

He’s hit some timely 3s as well. Having him, CJ, Evelyn (sp?) and Joe T as more than capable ball handlers is a welcome departure from years past. Hard to press us and our transition game is even more amped up.

Reactions: amahawk
Kinda reminds me of the kid who played for Michigan st years ago.
Walked through Lute Olsen’s huddle during a time out.
Can’t remember his name right now. Scott something
Conner is a tough minded kid
Scott Skiles?

Coonor has always gotten short end of the stick on these message boards. Kid is tough, makes great decisions, and shooting 40% from 3 in Bif Ten play. He can play for me any day. Tough SOB.

Reactions: owenhawk
Frans Presser tonight featured a question about Connor and Fran's answer was very cool. Talked about how he brings a lot of subtle value and how many positions he plays, varying role he plays on defense, even guarding 6'11" guy and holding his own! Had 7 assists and 0 TO's. But he wrapped by saying he knows we have 3 tremendous scorers and he knows how and where to get them the ball.

Frans Presser tonight featured a question about Connor and Fran's answer was very cool. Talked about how he brings a lot of subtle value and how many positions he plays, varying role he plays on defense, even guarding 6'11" guy and holding his own! Had 7 assists and 0 TO's. But he wrapped by saying he knows we have 3 tremendous scorers and he knows how and where to get them the ball.
Connor is the definition of team and winning and just getting it done with 0 shits of what he does. I cannot wait for PMAC to enter the fray so they can play together.

Coonor has always gotten short end of the stick on these message boards. Kid is tough, makes great decisions, and shooting 40% from 3 in Bif Ten play. He can play for me any day. Tough SOB.
I agree, but I think it is always a little tougher to be the coaches son.

Reactions: hawk-i bob

He's done a real good job and been a good complement on this team. You pointed out a good stat, that he's hitting close to 40% in Big 10 play. That is huge, he becomes a real asset if he's able to do that. Not that he's going to be a volume shooter, but if teams just don't pay attention to him and he can knock down a good % of open 3's, that's huge given the other stuff he can do.

Reactions: owenhawk
Kudos to everything in this thread! That said, he was pretty hard on the refs last night in his interview as he should have. However, he did call out the ref by name, etc, I know coaches absolutely cannot do this but any backlash if players do it?

Kudos to everything in this thread! That said, he was pretty hard on the refs last night in his interview as he should have. However, he did call out the ref by name, etc, I know coaches absolutely cannot do this but any backlash if players do it?

I'm a little concerned about this,.. We'll just have to keep an eye on how Eades treats us going forward...

Reactions: And1Hawk
Love Connor, the fire is something Iowa teams have lacked in the past. Pensl on the other hand, is someone I cringe when he gets on the court. At least 1 or 2 terrible passes are coming.

I'm a little concerned about this,.. We'll just have to keep an eye on how Eades treats us going forward...

Yea, not a good idea by Connor. But it's absolute BS that a sophomore in college has to sit and be interviewed by the press, while these refs sneak out the back door. Never held accountable!

(Yes, I know the refs are supposedly held accountable by someone...)

Yea, not a good idea by Connor. But it's absolute BS that a sophomore in college has to sit and be interviewed by the press, while these refs sneak out the back door. Never held accountable!

(Yes, I know the refs are supposedly held accountable by someone...)
Agreed, I do rather enjoy the fire and "I've got your back," mantra, it seems during the Aaron White era we didn't have an "enforcer" and teams pushed us around and we simply took it. Well, except for McCabe hip-tossing a Sparty defender one time...

Too many people think that if you don't step in and score 12 a game, you aren't any good.....Connor's value to this team cant be measured by a stat sheet.

I sort of am biased against Connor from remembering last year. Give him credit, he shot .167 from three last year and this year it is .361. I guess I must re-evaluate!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT