ADVERTISEMENT

Connor McCaffery leading state in hitting

Not sure what kind of baseball prospect he is in the nationwide landscape but if he is a true prospect it kind of makes you wonder if he will be a dual-sport athlete at Iowa and/or would he be better served going the baseball route if he has pro-aspirations?

Good job by him!

Reactions: Vbeachawk
I always like it when a high school kid plays multiple sports. Specialization needs to come later in life. Make the most of your teenage years.

Makes it seem like his Mom and Dad want to let him have great experiences as a youth. It's funny, some of these parents of talented kids seem to want them to specialize, play every second. Almost as if they are living vicariously.........

.......makes me feel bad for any coach recruiting this kind of kid as the parents are going to stay involved, you can just tell!

Well...there we go. Solves our scholarship problem for next year. Have Connor get a full ride on the baseball team and walk on to the basketball team. Only half kidding of course.

kidding or not, it doesn't work that way. Football/Basketball trump other sports. His scholarship would count towards basketball even if he played baseball

Reactions: mtown66
If you looked this stuff up yourself, or gave it some thought, maybe you wouldn't be so ignorant in the first place. The rules involved are merely common sense rules to keep the cheaters from stashing football and basketball athletes on the rosters of minor sports.

Reactions: unIowa
kidding or not, it doesn't work that way. Football/Basketball trump other sports. His scholarship would count towards basketball even if he played baseball

Abit more complicated. The poster above who said the limits go back to typical SEC teams' efforts to get around limitations on the number of football schollies was correct.

But their cheating didn't involve baseball or any other sport except basketball. The rule is that football has priority. A basketball player can play football, but that changes his schollie to count against the max 85 football limit....but it still counts against the 13 limit for hoops. A baseball player or a wrestler, etc can be a walk on in either or both of the "major sports" .

FB, MBB, WBB---the major sports---can only be FULL schollies; in the "minor sports" a program CAN OFFER a full schollie but rarely do; normally they offer part of a schollie, much of the time less than half of a full ride. A college baseball squad normally is about 25 players, but teams have only about half that number of schollies to offer.. Same with wrestling: 20 man squad, but barely half that number of schollies to divide up among them. The numbers of schollies in men's minor sports are in fractions; this is because in furtherance of compliance with Title IX, the NCAA 30 plus years ago ordered all men's program to reduce schollies by 15% (football from 100 to 85, men's hoops from 15 to 13.

Then it gets even more complicated when the actual amounts of a schollie are adjusted to take into account the difference between state resident and non-resident tuition. Also that while a FB or BB schollie counts against the other, neither counts as schollie money if a B or BB player plays a minor sport. Then that athlete is the same thing as a walk-on.

If you looked this stuff up yourself, or gave it some thought, maybe you wouldn't be so ignorant in the first place. The rules involved are merely common sense rules to keep the cheaters from stashing football and basketball athletes on the rosters of minor sports.
Whoa, who pissed in your Cheerios. I knew there are rules in place just wasn't 100% sure what they were. Thought maybe he was looking at the rule and had a link.

Wasn't that part of why he retired? Hanging out in the Pitino club with the fillies?

Doesn't this guy look a lot like Bo?

"Green grow the rashes, Oh. Green grow the Rashes, Oh.
The sweetest hours I ever spent, were spent among the lassies, Oh...."

Sing Bo, sing!

I always like it when a high school kid plays multiple sports. Specialization needs to come later in life. Make the most of your teenage years.

Agree with SC HawkFan...........Multi-SPort athletes are almost always superior at the Division 1 level, especially in hoops

Well...there we go. Solves our scholarship problem for next year. Have Connor get a full ride on the baseball team and walk on to the basketball team. Only half kidding of course.

Actually, that could give a Competitive, within the rules advantage to the HAWKEYES.
Why wouldn't they explore this ??

I remember reading this somewhere. They had to make this type of rule to prevent the SEC schools from using non revenue sport scholarships on football players.
Like sprinters. But not just the SEC schools. Actually, I'd like to see the track teams benefit from more fast RB, etc. going out for track, like Dwight and others around the country. Spring football kinda makes that difficult.

Actually, that could give a Competitive, within the rules advantage to the HAWKEYES.
Why wouldn't they explore this ??

I'm pretty much certain it is against NCAA rules. Just chiming in with the other two posters who said the same. ;)

I'm pretty much certain it is against NCAA rules. Just chiming in with the other two posters who said the same. ;)

Of course, I don't support it, if it's against the rules. However,
1) Isn't baseball a revenue sport? After all, it's AMERICA's favorite pastime.
2) Even if baseball isn't involved, Connor could walkon, leaving a Schollie for a kid from
Wadena, whose parents might not be able to afford In-state tuition.

Go Hawks :mad:

Whoa, who pissed in your Cheerios. I knew there are rules in place just wasn't 100% sure what they were. Thought maybe he was looking at the rule and had a link.
Yeah right, you thought that he had the rule in front of him and had the link available. No, you are just another lazy poster who tries to get others to do what you are either too lazy or too dumb to do. He had what is called knowledge. The link was to his brain.

Try this. I don't have the current NCAA manual handy, I doubt many do, so I can't link or state the specific bylaws it cites. However, this was done by the compliance office at TAMU. And it's not exactly easy to find the specifics without going into things like this as the manual is written in legalize and at times hard to decipher.

Yeah right, you thought that he had the rule in front of him and had the link available. No, you are just another lazy poster who tries to get others to do what you are either too lazy or too dumb to do. He had what is called knowledge. The link was to his brain.
You're right. I was too lazy because the average message board poster knows the NCAA rule book in-depth.

Try this. I don't have the current NCAA manual handy, I doubt many do, so I can't link or state the specific bylaws it cites. However, this was done by the compliance office at TAMU. And it's not exactly easy to find the specifics without going into things like this as the manual is written in legalize and at times hard to decipher.
Thanks.

FB, MBB, WBB---the major sports---can only be FULL schollies; in the "minor sports" a program CAN OFFER a full schollie but rarely do; normally they offer part of a schollie, much of the time less than half of a full ride. A college baseball squad normally is about 25 players, but teams have only about half that number of schollies to offer.. Same with wrestling: 20 man squad, but barely half that number of schollies to divide up among them. The numbers of schollies in men's minor sports are in fractions; this is because in furtherance of compliance with Title IX, the NCAA 30 plus years ago ordered all men's program to reduce schollies by 15% (football from 100 to 85, men's hoops from 15 to 13.

For the purpose of clarifying, D1 baseball rosters are limited to 35 players and allocated 11.7 scholarships. Also, the 11.7 scholarships can only be distributed among 28 (might be 27, I always forget) players.

As for Connor, he is listed on the Iowa 2017 commitment list by Perfect Game. We've discussed whether that is in fact true on the Hawkeye Catch All Board with no true consensus or facts to back his baseball commitment up. Perfect Game often lists commitments to schools when the athlete intends to play a different sport.

When's the last time there was a division 1 baseball and basketball player? I can't imagine that they are very many of them.

There's been quite a few football but I don't think there's been many basketball. Besides I just don't see heller using up one of those 35 slots on this kid. Those positions are too valuable now. 15 years ago when there was no limitation on your roster? Sure you could do something like that. Hell Larry Bird played part of one season in college.

When's the last time there was a division 1 baseball and basketball player? I can't imagine that they are very many of them.

It's not totally unheard of. Pat Connaughton at Notre Dame was damn good on the diamond the hard wood as recently as last year. He's probably the highest profile guy to play both the last few years.

There's been quite a few football but I don't think there's been many basketball. Besides I just don't see heller using up one of those 35 slots on this kid. Those positions are too valuable now. 15 years ago when there was no limitation on your roster? Sure you could do something like that. Hell Larry Bird played part of one season in college.

I always recall Rusty LaRue from Wake Forest. Football/Basketball star and played Baseball 1 year as well.

It's not totally unheard of. Pat Connaughton at Notre Dame was damn good on the diamond the hard wood as recently as last year. He's probably the highest profile guy to play both the last few years.
I think he was a pitcher there wasn't he? Notre Dame had another guy too. Smarjah?? think is pitching in The Bigs right now. But he was a pitcher as well I thought. Much simpler to do than a position player

I think he was a pitcher there wasn't he? Notre Dame had another guy too. Smarjah?? think is pitching in The Bigs right now. But he was a pitcher as well I thought. Much simpler to do than a position player

Samardzija. Yes, he is a pitcher, and he's pretty good. He was drafted by the Cubs, but was traded to the A's a couple of years ago for Addison Russell mid-season. Jason Hammel was also part of the trade, but he re-signed with the Cubs as a free agent in the offseason.

Did not know about the 35 player roster limit for baseball. In the past Iowa's has sometimes been 40+, with about half of those being pitchers. I'm counting 34 on the current roster, with 20 pitchers (some dual-position). I would hope room could be found for Connor, if that's what he wants. Sometimes a baseball team needs a jolt at mid-season.

Samardzija was a football player at Notre Dame. He was a hell of a receiver. Feel bad saying that with my total hatred of Notre Dame football.

Did not know about the 35 player roster limit for baseball. In the past Iowa's has sometimes been 40+, with about half of those being pitchers. I'm counting 34 on the current roster, with 20 pitchers (some dual-position). I would hope room could be found for Connor, if that's what he wants. Sometimes a baseball team needs a jolt at mid-season.

You'll often see 40+ in the fall, especially under Heller. He seems to bring a lot of bodies in and sort it out later.

There's a lot to like as a baseball prospect that is 6'4, good athlete and a lefty. I know they are a hoops family and that will come first, but this kid can play baseball at a very high level.

15.5.9.2 Basketball. A counter who practices or competes in basketball and one or more other sports (other
than football) shall be counted in basketball.

BTW, football has the same type of restriction. The football scholarship is counted first if a player were playing basketball, too. Otherwise, such in cases like that being discussed in this thread, basketball counts the scholarship and baseball would get a freebie.

Last edited:
It's not that uncommon to see a football player also play on the baseball or track teams. We have even seen some D-I football players play on the basketball team as well.

However....for a basketball player to run track or play baseball, that's really tough as the basketball season is just too long.

I do know it happened back in the 50's and 60's, but that's way earlier than most of our time lines.

If Connor is actually a highly ranked baseball prospect, he might have a decision to make about whether to go to college at all. I have no idea how highly ranked of a prospect he would be, but I could see a kid with his size and athleticism being a guy that could get taken in the first 3 rounds. Seems like he would project as the prototypical 5-tool player. If he were good enough to get drafted early and be offered a large signing bonus, it would be an interesting decision to ponder.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT