ADVERTISEMENT

Connor McCaffery's Status?

Whinny

Team MVP
Aug 6, 2007
SW Michigan
I'm aware that he's been out of commission due to mono and a recent tonsillectomy. The FS1 announcers last night remarked that Connor did not travel with the team to Maryland. Any information on why? Has he been able to resume practice with the team? Is he expected to be able to play later this season?

He’s redshirted, right?
He played in 4 games this season. You can't elect a redshirt after you participate in sanctioned games. .. TTBOMK ...unless the NCAA changed the rules.

I think he is applying for a medical redshirt.
That makes more sense... but a medred is a status that is granted (or denied) after petition; its not declared as the poster insinuated. I see no reason why CM would not be eligible. If he is within a couple weeks of returning, however, I hope he decides to play cuz he would obviously be of some help to the team.

He’s redshirted, right?
He played in 4 games this season. You can't elect a redshirt after you participate in sanctioned games. .. TTBOMK ...unless the NCAA changed the rules.
I believe the plan is for him to sit out the rest of the season and then apply for a medical redshirt. Here's the rule: "To gain a medical redshirt, the athlete cannot compete in more than 30 percent of her team’s games within a season, not counting contests officially designated as scrimmages or exhibition games. When such computations are made, fractions are rounded up. For example, if a team plays 27 games, the exact 30 percent mark is 8.1. For the purposes of medical redshirt eligibility, therefore, the player may compete in nine games and still be eligible for a medical redshirt."

It would be a complete waste to play him this year. Shut
I agree. Unless they are like 99% sure that he won't get it somehow, then they shouldn't play him
No it wouldn't. Still roughly half a season left on the schedule. The experience he would gain would be valuable and not a waste of time.
Season is basically done at this point so why even bother playing him? Plus he can turn all his attention to baseball and he also gets to play one more year with Patrick

No it wouldn't. Still roughly half a season left on the schedule. The experience he would gain would be valuable and not a waste of time.

This is only true if he is 100% healthy. I doubt he is there any time soon.

It would be a complete waste to play him this year. Shut him down and hope the medical redshirt is approved.

Connor is one kid I don’t worry about getting lots of experience. He has been getting college ball like experience his whole life.

I'm aware that he's been out of commission due to mono and a recent tonsillectomy. The FS1 announcers last night remarked that Connor did not travel with the team to Maryland. Any information on why? Has he been able to resume practice with the team? Is he expected to be able to play later this season?
According to Hawkeyesports he's out indefinitely.

Bardo and Brando to call the action at Illinois on Thursday evening @ 7PM. FS1.

It was reported that he had to go back to the hospital a few days after the tonsillectomy because there was bleeding in the area of the surgery, and he essentially had to restart the healing process. Not sure that it matters for basketball purposes, though, because I don't think he is playing again this year.

He won't be in physical condition to compete seriously until late February or early March,.... The only thing he would develop during the remainder of this season is a distaste for the critical Hawkeye fan base.

Last edited:
If he cannot be back to almost 100% in the next few games, he should sit out the season and apply for a medical redshirt. Seems likely.

I am curious whether any participation in baseball this year could impact his being granted a medical redshirt in basketball, if he were healthy in time for the baseball season. I doubt that it would matter, but I don't know the rules regarding playing in multiple sports.

Is anyone else excited about having Connor for 4 more years?

Trying to make it a full decade of recruiting fodder for opposing coaches?

From HawkCentral.com:

Connor McCaffery update (Jan 9, 2018)

McCaffery said his son, Connor, has lost 15 pounds after a tonsillectomy and then a follow-up surgery a week ago. The freshman point guard is still unable to practice and a medical redshirt remains a possibility.

Fran McCaffery said he’s not sure if Connor would be able to redshirt in basketball and play baseball in the spring. Connor plans to compete in both sports at Iowa.

“I’m really proud of him. Here’s a guy who gets mono, he still makes the dean’s list,” Fran McCaffery said of his son. “He’s positive on the bench. He’s positive in the locker room. I think ultimately he’ll be a big help to us.”

LINK: http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...deep-rotation-thinks-hawkeyes-rem/1016985001/

He won't be in physical condition to compete seriously until late February or early March,.... The only thing he would develop during the remainder of this season is a distaste for the critical Hawkeye fan base.

Sad but true

Is this distaste you speak of similar to what Iowa High School Officials are developing towards Fran and Margaret?

what's the issue with Fran Margaret and HS officials?

WOTS is Margaret is the worst fan AINEC. Hrard that from an official I know. Even worse than the Joens father who has to sit with a school administrator when he attends games. Some parents need to learn how to be good fans.

WOTS is Margaret is the worst fan AINEC. Hrard that from an official I know. Even worse than the Joens father who has to sit with a school administrator when he attends games. Some parents need to learn how to be good fans.
Its kind of hard to read the codes, like what is AINEC? If that is supposed to be, (and I'm not even kidding), the C is? Unfortunately for players parents who were high level players themselves,(as Margaret and Fran were), its sometimes problematic when there kids play. Type A personality people, who are no longer competing, can struggle with these issues. Not that this should be an excuse. I've never seen Margaret acting out at an Iowa game when she's on camera, but obviously that's a limited viewpoint.

Its kind of hard to read the codes, like what is AINEC? If that is supposed to be, (and I'm not even kidding), the C is? Unfortunately for players parents who were high level players themselves,(as Margaret and Fran were), its sometimes problematic when there kids play. Type A personality people, who are no longer competing, can struggle with these issues. Not that this should be an excuse. I've never seen Margaret acting out at an Iowa game when she's on camera, but obviously that's a limited viewpoint.

WOTS = word on the street
AINEC = AINEC

I struggle with the same problem but I try to stay positive even towards the officials. I think Margaret’s problem is at the West HS games not the Iowa games so much. I’ve only heard this from others not from my own observations.

she takes her frustation out of fran, that's why he gets so pissed......he knows he has to go home that night ;)

Siena Jay will tell you Fran is a pussycat compared to Mrs. McC. She was also a MUCH better player.

Well there must be something terribly wrong with that young man. Everytime I see him on the court - I see little Lick. I'm sure when he gets over all the diseases, he will be an amazing point guard

Well there must be something terribly wrong with that young man. Everytime I see him on the court - I see little Lick. I'm sure when he gets over all the diseases, he will be an amazing point guard
Did you ever see either of the McCaffery boys play? I only saw them in the state tournament finals the last two seasons and their entire team was not impressive. Even the announcers kept saying "they've got to get a shot clock in high school basketball". Because Iowa City West just kept stalling and passing the ball back and forth, very boring.

Even if he were the second coming of Ronnie Lester I doubt he is going to make that much of a difference with this team. There are other problems that need adjusting besides finding a PG that can run the team.

ADVERTISEMENT