ADVERTISEMENT

connor playing basketball this year

I think really it was pretty easy to predict Connor was going to play this year. He got major minutes on the Europe trip. Connor didn't go on the baseball trip. CW had injury issues....not hard to put two and two together. I thought Connor would play this year but of course I didn't know for certain.

I think really it was pretty easy to predict Connor was going to play this year. He got major minutes on the Europe trip. Connor didn't go on the baseball trip. CW had injury issues....not hard to put two and two together. I thought Connor would play this year but of course I didn't know for certain.

When I first heard months ago that it was Connor's decision to make I turned off all expectations. :) I agree the writing has been on the wall, but I just didn't have anything to base getting inside his head on.

I'm sure glad it turned out well. Sad for CW but I'm glad he was able to stay, keep getting good medical treatment and training. He got the European Trip, and will enjoy the rest of the semester to study. And he had every chance possible to battle right up to the last couple of weeks before the real season.

He won't be a stranger to the guys. And he can take his time picking a new school, with Coach's help!

Now that's the way to go out. And best of luck to him. I wish we could have seen him more like he was in high school...man, was he ever good.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Just listened to this interview. While Fran says they could use Connor. There is NO confirmation that he will take off the RS. Fran says it’s up to Connor. Now, today or tomorrow we could get that confirmation from the McCafferys. But it’s not in the linked interview.

since Connor is playing this could be the starting 5 with backups
1 JBo BE
2 Connor Dailey
3 Moss Baer
4 Cook Pemsl
5 Garza Kriener
6th man Baer.
with these off the bench at key positions, time needed on the floor or because of Fouls
Nunge
Wagner
Uhl
this is not a diss on anybody this is just shows the luxury Fran will have this year. next year Wieskamp will take Uhl's scholarship and PG Fredrick will take the departed Williams scholarship.

with the departure of Williams this not makes the 2019 class a 3 man class with Patrick taking 1 of them.
a little info on Fredrick as a JR starter on the Indiana Elite AAU team and avg'd 19.1 ppg

If Connor is as good as most think, he will fill out a hole in our backcourt. JBo, Moss, Ellingson, and CMc gives us a nice group of guards, with Dailey as even more depth. It will be interesting to see if he is good enough to give us some minutes with JBo at the 2, in addition to playing most minutes when JBo is resting. It would be better in the long run if we can keep everyone's playing time to 30 mpg or less.

Great news. We need him. Free up Jbo to play some 2. Finish games with the lead with Connor, Jbo, Moss, and Ellingson all on the floor together to handle the ball and make free throws. We are much more versatile now.

Great news. We need him. Free up Jbo to play some 2. Finish games with the lead with Connor, Jbo, Moss, and Ellingson all on the floor together to handle the ball and make free throws. We are much more versatile now.
That worked before the shot clock (if Iowa led with less than 6-7 min left, when Lester was a Jr, with Peth and Norman, you could pretty much count it as a win). Unless there is less than a minute left, not so much now.

Reactions: lonewolf52
1 JBo BE
2 Connor Dailey
3 Moss Baer
4 Cook Pemsl
5 Garza Kriener
6th man Baer.
with these off the bench at key positions, time needed on the floor or because of Fouls
Nunge
Wagner
Uhl
this is not a diss on anybody this is just shows the luxury Fran will have this year. next year Wieskamp will take Uhl's scholarship and PG Fredrick will take the departed Williams scholarship.

with the departure of Williams this not makes the 2019 class a 3 man class with Patrick taking 1 of them.
a little info on Fredrick as a JR starter on the Indiana Elite AAU team and avg'd 19.1 ppg

No...just..no.

1 JBo BE
2 Connor Dailey
3 Moss Baer
4 Cook Pemsl
5 Garza Kriener
6th man Baer.
Nunge
Wagner
Uhl

No...just..no.
I don't see a scenario where Connor starts this year but I'm no expert

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Not a chance Connor sees time on the baseball field. Tough to start the season in mid-march when the other guys play fall ball and then start practice in January

I actually feel somewhat badly for Connor. He had his plans all laid out to redshirt this year and concentrate on baseball his freshman year. That would have given him another year to play with his brother. Christian bailing on the team changed all that. If he has indeed pulled the redshirt, he is making a significant sacrifice for the team.

No...just..no.
I see opinions are not allowed, HERE is MY starting line up using ESPN Rankings
1 JBo 4*
2 Connor 4* top 100
3 Moss 4* a SF by numerous publication coming out of HS
4 Cook 4* #38 overall and 8th best PF
5 Garza 4* top 100 13th best Center.

that makes 5 4* players 2 just outside the top 100, 2 just inside the top 100 and 1 top 40 player. and people don't think this could be the starting line up.

when was the last time a Iowa coach was able to have a lineup this loaded?

1 JBo 4*
2 Connor 4* top 100

that makes 5 4* players 2 just outside the top 100, 2 just inside the top 100 and 1 top 40 player. and people don't think this could be the starting line up.

Holy hell

1 JBo 4*
2 Connor 4* top 100

You might find people more accepting of your opinion if you didn't go on an incoherent rant every time someone else's OPINION didn't agree with yours.

Reactions: deanhawk88
You might find people more accepting of your opinion if you didn't go on an incoherent rant every time someone else's OPINION didn't agree with yours.
SST didn't post a opinion. and what is incoherent rant about my follow up? just showed the potential line up using ESPN's players ratings.

thought was pretty level headed and straight forward. plus it makes certain posters look silly in how they think players can't play or be any good

SST didn't post a opinion. and what is incoherent rant about my follow up? just showed the potential line up using ESPN's players ratings.

thought was pretty level headed and straight forward. plus it makes certain posters look silly in how they think players can't play or be any good

I wasn't referring to that post, just a general statement.

Ow! I just sprained my thumb poking at the ignore button so many times.

1 JBo 4*
2 Connor 4* top 100

Really, determining who starts based on star rating. If Connor was all of a sudden a starter, there would be some major unrest on the team. In the beginning Connor will be filling the role of backup pg.

Reactions: ParkerHawk
I actually feel somewhat badly for Connor. He had his plans all laid out to redshirt this year and concentrate on baseball his freshman year. That would have given him another year to play with his brother. Christian bailing on the team changed all that. If he has indeed pulled the redshirt, he is making a significant sacrifice for the team.

very well stated

Not a chance Connor sees time on the baseball field. Tough to start the season in mid-march when the other guys play fall ball and then start practice in January

I agree. I don't think most people realize the time it takes to get your timing right (not to mention bat path) to hit a baseball...its the hardest thing to do in sports. You don't earn a HOF career by hitting 30% of your jump shots or completing 30% of your passes BUT you do earn that if you bat over .300 for your baseball career.

1 JBo 4*
2 Connor 4* top 100

If Fran thought Connor would be a starter why was he planning on RS him when Williams was here? I don't think Fran cares about stars some hack at ESPN gave his players when they were 18 years old when determining who starts. If that was the case 0* Baer would never start or see the floor.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
because Fran leaves the RS'ing decisions up to each individual player, Connor is good enough to play both at a high level, Maybe Fran was doing what was best for Connor, did you or anybody else consider that?

because Fran leaves the RS'ing decisions up to each individual player, Connor is good enough to play both at a high level, Maybe Fran was doing what was best for Connor, did you or anybody else consider that?

So if it is up to the player, how was Fran doing what is best? Isn’t it Connor that was doing what is best for Connor?

True, but what came first, the chicken(Hawk) or the egg? I mean are Conner's plans changing because CW bailed, or did CW bail because he saw limited chances for himself with Conner's play in Europe etc?

Reactions: hooper56 and DanL53
1 JBo BE
2 Connor Dailey
3 Moss Baer
4 Cook Pemsl
5 Garza Kriener
6th man Baer.
Nunge
Wagner
Uhl

1- J.Bo, Connor, Ellingson/Dailey
2- Moss, Ellingson, Dailey, Connor
3- Baer, Nunge, Uhl/Wagner
4- Cook, Pemsl, Nunge, Wagner/Uhl
5- Garza, Kriener, Pemsl, Nunge

1- J.Bo, Connor, Ellingson/Dailey
2- Moss, Ellingson, Dailey, Connor
3- Baer, Nunge, Uhl/Wagner
4- Cook, Pemsl, Nunge, Wagner/Uhl
5- Garza, Kriener, Pemsl, Nunge

This seems right, but I Wagner will almost always be ahead of Uhl and 3/4, and I am not sure whether Connor or JBo will be the 1 or 2 if/when both are on the court.

nitewing and legend - nah nah nah neeny! Where is the sticking out the tongue icon! Is it really necessary to call names all the time? It gets tiring. Just say what you want and leave the name calling out!

There is so much name calling on this site that it seems like you get free tacos for it.

Nothing against CW but I think we’re a better team with Connor in over CW. He’ll probably struggle with defense but I also don’t shutter at the thought of him running the offense so that counts for something.

I wasn't referring to that post, just a general statement.

Another poster sent me a link to Nite Wing/Herbie/Kilroy's FB page...it is amazing.

Pretty much nothing but rants about Scout, Hawk Central and HawkeyeNation censoring him and wondering what happened to free speech and how they have clearly violated his first amendment rights. Hell, he's even banned from posting on ESPN's comments section.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT