ADVERTISEMENT

Connor Turnbull will be Visiting on Apr 19. He's a 6'10" Center, Class of 2022, 3 Star prospect

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Connor was previously committed to Butler. He will be visiting Iowa next week (on April 19, per his Rivals profile).

As you can see in what follows, Iowa is one of several schools that has reached out to him.

FPmry4zWYAM_Fqx

Last edited:
Reaches out to this three star but not four star Shaw. Makes no sense.

It does if you consider that Shaw recommitted to Missouri less than a month after decommitting due to a coaching change. Do you think maybe Fran knows a little more than the rest of us about these recruits and that it would be a waste of time pursuing Shaw again?

Recruitment is interesting. Based on social media, got his first offer from Butler on 6/14 and committed 7/1 over Mizzou, SLU, and K State. A late bloomer who was quick to commit to Lavall Jordan.

Was a starter on Brad Beal Elite who made the championship of the peach jam this year. Took place after he already committed.

Schools listed as reaching out like Creighton/Wisconsin/Iowa were probably interested during the summer, but he committed before they could pull the trigger and offer. So they filed his name away for later just in case.

In regards to the center position, as long as Iowa calls it like it is and not how they want it to be I’m OK with what they do. And they generally call it like they see it.

Didn't we already sign Owen Freeman to play center? Plus we still are developing Riley Mulvey. Do we really need another 6'10" center? I would think we are at a greater need at other positions.

Reactions: amahawk
Didn't we already sign Owen Freeman to play center? Plus we still are developing Riley Mulvey. Do we really need another 6'10" center? I would think we are at a greater need at other positions.
This upcoming year Iowa could definitely use a big man. 2 years from now, who knows? This is a recruit for next fall so I think we still try.

I think both Freeman and Estrella are long and athletic guys that can play the 4/5 together and maybe even some 3….maybe. But these guys can definitely play together.

Are you ****ing stupid or something?
Nice response.

A school fires their coach, kid de-comits, Iowa made the kid’s top five and is a four star player that plays well on both ends of the court. Iowa loses their top player to the NBA early. I’d at least pick up the phone and ask if he has any interest in Iowa based off of what has transpired with the direction of both programs this past season.

Oh, and go f yourself.

Same reason Portland drafted Sam Bowie instead of Michael Jordan.
Oh shit, is Jordan interested in a scholarship with us? That changes everything.

Shaw wasn’t really interested in us. While it would have been nice, and you take him if he wants to come here, it wasn’t happening.

Reactions: perryhawk
The highlight reel has me intrigued. Seemed to run well with good length. Matta is now at Butler but Butler does not compare to a B10 school. Might be a very nice late addition. I hope he can defend and rebound well.

This must be FM's plan B to Aimaq (sp?).

With Aimaq being only a one-year player, and with Iowa having plenty of scholarships available, I think you take both of you can.

Yep. Fran has 3 scholarships available for this season.

Aimaq would be an immediate starter and upgrade at the 5. If we only got Connor? Well, he would likely would be coming off the bench, backing up Filip.

Do you think there’s a chance that Connor commits on the spot or wait it out

Do you think there’s a chance that Connor commits on the spot or wait it out

it will be interesting to see how it plays out. Looks like it will come down to 4 teams but Iowa will get the last visit.

* He has already visited St Louis University.

* He visited Butler yesterday (April 15).

* He is visiting Missouri today (April 16).

* He is visiting Iowa on April 19.

David is a sports reporter for the Indianapolis Star.

Stu covers St. Louis University and college sports for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Last edited:
Reactions: perryhawk
Yep. Fran has 3 scholarships available for this season.

Aimaq would be an immediate starter and upgrade at the 5. If we only got Connor? Well, he would likely would be coming off the bench, backing up Filip.
If we miss on Aimaq, but land Turnbull, I wonder if we keep looking for an instant-impact post.

Similarly, if we land Turnbull, and with Mulvey already on the roster, and with Owen Freeman already committed, I wonder if getting another big in the 2023 class (like JP Estrella) becomes a lower priority. I know someone mentioned that some of these guys are pretty versatile; but still, you have to think about what the ideal number bigs on a 13-man roster is.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Turnbull recommit to Butler and Matta.
Nothing in recruiting surprises me......but I like that he has decided not to make the decision as quickly as he was first scheduled to get it done. I think Iowa is one of those schools that when a person gives it some thought, they start to realize it's a great place.

We have to overcome the school he was previously set on attending, and the home state school (both with coaches that apparently can really recruit)..........so it is an uphill battle but, at least Iowa has sold him on taking a visit and usually that gives the Hawks a fighting chance. Hopefully he likes the feel of the program, the family atmosphere, the ability of the Iowa staff to develop frontline players, and the recent success compared to the other front runners.

That could be "hyperbolic" when he says that ship HAS LONG SAILED............how does he know that? Maybe he's right (especially when I see all the new Eldridge follows on twitter), or he could be just assuming that. I wish I knew for sure.

Until Aimaq is actually in Iowa City on an official visit I am not holding my breath.

Reactions: BBHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT