ADVERTISEMENT

Consecutive free throw streaks heading into the 2020-21 season

Just need to get Luka in that range.
do you think if Iowa is able to give him more breathers that his FT percentage will go up?

personally, imo, with the minutes Luka played last season, he was probably more tired than we know; and when you are tired, it can be easy to lose some focus at the FT line that one normally would have

Seems to me his misses were spread throughout the game and not necessarily at the end of games due to fatigue. He shot 80% as a soph, so you know he has the ability to improve this season.

Let's just hope we get to see him one more year in an Iowa uniform.

Seems to me his misses were spread throughout the game and not necessarily at the end of games due to fatigue. He shot 80% as a soph, so you know he has the ability to improve this season.

Let's just hope we get to see him one more year in an Iowa uniform.
How many of his attempts were a minute after being punched in the face though? Lol

To me the thing that makes Street’s record so amazing is that he played as a big man. 6’8 power forward. Most great free throw shooters are smaller guards not bigger guys.

Loved watching Street. Still can remember waking up the next day reading about his death. Dude was legit!! Had a bright future in the game!!

Actually, I'm giving Luka pass on Free throws, the way the Lakers use-to give Wilt a pass. When your the dominant player in the game, shoot em underhand if you like.

GO HAWKS !!!

I think Luka has shown that he is a better FT shooter than he showed last year. I also think that with his work ethic and his intense desire to gain whatever edge he can get, that FT shooting is something that he will look to improve....because he knows he's capable.

In addition, Luka along with the coaches and the rest of the team, realize that good teams win the majority of their close games.....and free throws by the guy most likely to draw fouls could make a difference between a good year and a great year for the team.

IowaNiceHawk, I'm not saying this to be critical or argue about a point......I get it, if anyone deserves a pass it's Luka. We know how hard he works and how bad he wants to win....

Some pretty good streaks going for Iowa hoopsters

Jordan Bohannon 24 Consecutive makes going back to Cincinnati NCAA Tourney game in 2019
Joe Wieskamp 22
Joe Toussaint 17
Luka Garza 7
C.J. Fredrick 6
Connor McCaffrey 4
Jack Nunge 1

Last edited:
Cool that Jordan missed the free throw to let Chris Street keep the record. But would you think less of him if he or one of the other guys break the record?

Cool that Jordan missed the free throw to let Chris Street keep the record. But would you think less of him if he or one of the other guys break the record?
i have a feeling a precedent has been set where the record will never be broken

i kinda wish Jordan would have missed when he was 1 away from tying.....leave Chris on top, all by himself.....

Joe Toussaint and Joe Wieskamp were terrific from the charity stripe, last year.
Could be a very, very good FT team, this coming year.
in an interview, Frank was asked about Luka's struggles at the line and Frank said it was a combination of a couple things:

* In the off season prior to last season, they didn't spend much time practicing FTs because it was not a weakness

* Luka got hit in the head a lot and when he got to the line, he didn't take his time and focus/center himself before shooting the FT; Frank said Luka was rushing the FTs and it is something they worked on this off season

Expect better FT shooting from Garza this season, because lets face it, he's gonna get hammered in the B1G again

Reactions: unclesammy
Luka is fine. He was a good ft shooter his sophomore year and played a crap ton of minutes last year. He was in a totally different role and just lost focus at the line. I honestly expect him to be way up from the line this year. It is really one of the only tangible things he can improve on or get back to. He's not going to move faster, rebound more, hustle more, be more verbal, etc. He's almost hit his ceiling in those categories.

I didn't like that Jordan missed a free throw on purpose. Records are of little value if they don't represent the best a player can do. Chris Street was a good player without the gift record.

Actually, I'm giving Luka pass on Free throws, the way the Lakers use-to give Wilt a pass. When your the dominant player in the game, shoot em underhand if you like.

GO HAWKS !!!

Ha. Good recall, and Wilt tried underhand as well. Wilt's last couple seasons he did not come down much on offensive. Wilt got most of the rebounds and would throw to midcourt with either or both Jerry West and Gail Goodrich, Elgin Baylor and a young Jimmy McMillian streaking toward the basket.

Watching Wilt just hang around the free throw line waiting on defense was both funny and amazing.

I didn't like that Jordan missed a free throw on purpose. Records are of little value if they don't represent the best a player can do. Chris Street was a good player without the gift record.
I think you're in the minority there.

You call it a gift when his death ended his streak?

That pretty ****ed imo.
Chris never got the chance to show his best, and jbo was classy enough to respect that

That pretty ****ed imo.
Chris never got the chance to show his best, and jbo was classy enough to respect that

Jordan received the Stan Musial Sportsmanship award, for his selfless act of intentionally NOT breaking
Chris Street's record. Just THINK how good of a Free Throw shooter you have to be, to finally miss one, by INTENTIONALLY missing it.

#gohawks

That pretty ****ed imo.

I loved the way Chris Street played the game. In my mind there is an asterisk after the record ... and Chris Street is still a great player. No harm either way.

I had mixed feelings about it as well. In the moment I thought it was nice, but I don't think Street would have wanted him to do it.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT