ADVERTISEMENT

Conservatives and NIL

I have enjoyed your opinion on iowas timeliness of setting up a fund. Care to elaborate on your feelings there?
Pretty simple -- if Iowa wants to position itself as a power player in the current environment of college football, it needs to quickly establish a robust and well-funded NIL collective. To be actually competitive, it may need to dip into previously ethically murky waters more than it has in the past.

I personally think that's a shame, but it is what it is in the current environment. You either play the big boy game or live with the outcome of no longer being a big boy.

I'm a liberal/progressive on many issues, but not college sports.

Frankly, if I were in charge, I'd eliminate the playoffs, go back to the old bowl format and create a very strong and stringent enforcement arm of the NCAA with a goal of vigorously enforcing amateurism.

The blurring of college and professional sports has really dampened a lot my old enthusiasm for college sports.

I feel like college football was at its best when it was primarily a regional rivalry sport played mostly by student athletes who were at least relatively serious about being students.
I agree 100%

Reactions: torbee
Say you are a Republican that preach free market economics and getting government out of the way. Now imagine that same person saying NIL is bad and we need government intervention to regulate the free market of young adults making tons of $$$$.

That is being a hypocrite on your economic view.
As with politics there’s a happy medium. However, like politics the vocal minority on each side don’t want to work together or compromise. While the middle is left shaking their head in disgust.

What school gives full ride athletic scholarships foe a 400k education? You have a stance, stick with it, the hyperbole isn't going to help.
Look at the cost of tuition, room and board at schools for out of staters or not if they’re private. Then add in all the other things athletes get; food, training, medical, clothes, travel, networking, tutors etc.

Look at the cost of tuition, room and board at schools for out of staters or not if they’re private. Then add in all the other things athletes get; food, training, medical, clothes, travel, networking, tutors ect

I understand your son is being recruited, so you are looking at the totality of it. I too was a scholarship ncaa athlete. His post was a "400k education" the only education that cost 400k is ivy league. They will find you a shit ton of money, as will all schools if they want you, but it isn't a 400k athletic scholarship. (I got a 10k a year scholarship that was linked to band and I quit band in 8th grade. I showed up, blew a trombone one time, and the lady told me to leave. 4 years and 40k later I still can't read sheet music or play the trombone. Another example of this was my "presidential" scholarship. I had good not great grades but because I participated in a school activity I probably got something someone much smarter deserved.) If a school wants you, they will find money, at all levels.

Last edited:
@BrunoMars420 you starting to see it as an age thing and not a political thing?
I think you missed the original point of my post. I understand it is more of an age issue.

My point of the OP was that conservatives say they want a free market and to get government out of the way but with the NIL it’s the opposite. I didn’t single out democrats because they are for more economic regulations. I wanted to hear why republicans think this way in terms of the economy but want more regulation within the NIL which I am getting some nice thought out answers from some posters.

I think you missed the original point of my post. I understand it is more of an age issue.

My point of the OP was that conservatives say they want a free market and to get government out of the way but with the NIL it’s the opposite. I didn’t single out democrats because they are for more economic regulations. I wanted to hear why republicans think this way in terms of the economy but want more regulation within the NIL which I am getting some nice thought out answers from some posters.
Well then, hopefully you took not of how this repub thinks the free market will even itself out here.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
I understand your son is being recruited, so you are looking at the totality of it. I too was a scholarship ncaa athlete. His post was a "400k education" the only education that cost 400k is ivy league. They will find you a shit ton of money, as will all schools if they want you, but it isn't a 400k athletic scholarship. (I got a 10k a year scholarship that was linked to band and I quit band in 8th grade. I showed up, blew a trombone one time, and the lady told me to leave. 4 years and 40k later I still can't read sheet music or play the trombone. Another example of this was my "presidential" scholarship. I had good not great grades but because I participated in a school activity I probably got something someone much smarter deserved.) If a school wants you, they will find money, at all levels.
Well scholarship is worth more than just the tuition, room and board or whatever fees it covers. That’s my point at least. How much are they getting out of that scholarship vs the normal student paying their own way. It’s hundreds of thousands of dollars at the P5 level.

Well scholarship is worth more than just the tuition, room and board or whatever fees it covers. That’s my point at least. How much are they getting out of that scholarship vs the normal student paying their own way. It’s hundreds of thousands of dollars at the P5 level.
Understood.

Shit the insurance is a nice little kicker.

What Pokémon go question?

Look, I don't have anything against Pokémon Go myself. I just don't think the self-driving car people would have tolerated them very long if it kept getting more popular. We've avoided that conflict by Pokémon Go surviving only as a niche interest.

Look, I don't have anything against Pokémon Go myself. I just don't think the self-driving car people would have tolerated them very long if it kept getting more popular. We've avoided that conflict by Pokémon Go surviving only as a niche interest.
I don’t see what your point is. They generate like 2 billion annually

I don’t see what your point is. They generate like 6 billion annually

I didn't have a real point. Do you remember when the game first came out and people were worried that a bunch of people were going to get hit by cars because they were looking for Pokemon on their smart phones? I was kind of riffing on that.

I don’t know if it’s a liberal vs conservative topic.

The idea behind NIL is well intentioned. At schools like Iowa it has benefited the athletes. Great job, high fives…and honestly, most people don’t care.

Now let’s look at what’s happening across the country. Texas A&M boosters bought the top recruiting class. High school kids getting 2 year contracts at 450k a year along with cars in Miami.

That is not a good thing

Sorry but lets stop acting like TAMU didn't already get top classes. They did, They were top 17 every year this past decade BEFORE NIL came along.

I think it's hilarious, a fan base like Iowa, which doesn't get elite recruits often, and the Fanbase has an issue with NIL? Are you people mental? OH MAN GUYS, I'D hate to bring in top recruits to Iowa more than once in a decade.... But phuck NIL! Oh and it's hilarious that people say "This gives Iowa a disadvantage because now recruits will go to the elite schools" WHAT? Think that through guys.....

Sorry but lets stop acting like TAMU didn't already get top classes. They did, They were top 17 every year this past decade BEFORE NIL came along.
TAMU is desperate and rich. They were a top 20 recruiting school before. Now they’re number one.

Lincoln Riley was smart. He went to a school that was desperate to win and had the alumni money and market to do it. Brian Kelly was a moran, who wasn’t smart enough to see that Notre Dame was in the same position.

$40-50 million is probably more than enough to buy a championship. Those schools have plenty of guys who can drop that kind of money.

TAMU is desperate and rich. They were a top 20 recruiting school before. Now they’re number one.

Lincoln Riley was smart. He went to a school that was desperate to win and had the alumni money and market to do it. Brian Kelly was a moran, who wasn’t smart enough to see that Notre Dame was in the same position.

$40-50 million is probably more than enough to buy a championship. Those schools have plenty of guys who can drop that kind of money.

Heck, TAMU was a top 6 recruiting school for half the past decade.

I think it's hilarious, a fan base like Iowa, which doesn't get elite recruits often, and the Fanbase has an issue with NIL? Are you people mental? OH MAN GUYS, I'D hate to bring in top recruits to Iowa more than once in a decade.... But phuck NIL! Oh and it's hilarious that people say "This gives Iowa a disadvantage because now recruits will go to the elite schools" WHAT? Think that through guys.....
ya but ya buy ya but ya buy ya but SEC 😭😭😭😭😭😤

We as fans have bought "win, graduate, do it right" hook line and sinker. Here is the ugly truth though.

We win: 60% of the time.

We graduate: white athletes at a decent clip and black athletes at an atrocious rate.

We do it right: all the time, as soon as we are done with the lawsuits we will be happy to tell you how right we do it. (Wbb, w swimming, FB)

The NCAA said none of thst shit matters, just win.
I don’t give a shit if athletes graduate or not. They had the opportunity and a lot of academic tutors and advisors the common student didn’t have.

So it seems like a lot of conservatives (not all but a lot) hate the NIL and are wanting Public institutions to step in and take away the right for young adults to make money in the free market. I’ve seen suggestions of setting a cap on how much a person can make, having them sign a contract to take away the freedom of transferring, not offering them a scholarship because they will make too much, etc…

If you are on the right, why do you think this?
It's amazing how the Right is going after capitalism these days.

In the camp that NIL is fine. Players should be able to earn money for running a camp, having a YouTube channel, etc. Where it crosses the line is boosters outright buying players. It's not good for the game and it's not good for the player, to be honest. Throwing 6 figures at 18 year olds and telling them "perform or else" is not a good thing. Just the other day on ESPN there was a segment on the JMU softball player that committed suicide and included more stories about college athletes committing suicide and how mental health issues are a crisis in these ADs who are having to employ more resources to help their athletes cope with the pressures. Now let's throw an NIL gas fire on top of that. This can't be a free-for-all, there needs to be structure and rules to keep things fair, but also to protect these kids from themselves at times.

Some ideas.

1 - return to academics. College is a place to get an education. Enforce entrance requirements and academic progress requirements. Those that want to "play school" can go somewhere else. There are other options now, the USFL, the D-League, European pro leagues, etc.

2 - limit the transfer portal. Free transfer for a freshman after the first year. Mistakes happen, wrong school choices get made. Free transfer for grad students, they've fulfilled their academic requirement. Torn on transfers when there are coaching changes. Don't like it but I'll say it should be allowed. Any other transfer you sit for a year. Average students when they transfer lose credit hours and fall behind on their graduation timeline. This is in keeping with that thought. Sitting a year will help you to catch up academically. We're not here to "play school".

3 - There is a value to a scholarship that somehow needs to be quantified here because right now it's being completely overlooked. There is also a value to the facilities and resources an AD puts towards developing a player. Player development does not happen in a vacuum. Soccer and Junior Hockey have Transfer Fees. Maybe look into something like that.

4 - boosters should not be involved in NIL and recruiting. Buying recruiting classes will only lead to bad things. The NCAA should set up rules to enforce this and separate NIL and recruiting. Nobody is saying a player can't get NIL. We're just saying that if it's being used as an inducement to sign and commit then that isn't allowed.

5- tempted to get away from athletic scholarships and go to a means testing where those that can afford to pay for college due to all the NIL money pay some/all of their tuition. Think of it as FASFA for athletes.

There needs to be a firewall between the school/AD and the NIL money. There should be no comingling of the two with one exception. NIL is a reality and the schools should offer an educational course to its athletes on how to navigate it. No different than the NFLPA and rookie education seminars.

Other than that, have at it. Make as much as you want in endorsements or on social media. There does need to be a somewhat even playing field for the sake of fair competition though. Otherwise the Golden Goose will be killed and nobody will get anything.

Because even in our capitalist society the free market has rules. True conservatives understand that in order to succeed and successfully grow you have to reduce chaos and foster competition. You can't make long term, sound, business decisions in a chaotic environment (rather, you hunker down and ride it out). Also, a lack of competition leads to stagnation and lack of innovation.

In order for college athletics to remain viable and strong there needs to be some structure.

Barta has cost the dept millions in lawsuits. He's way overpaid for his skills
When has the athletic department performed better overall than it is now?

The lawsuit argument is asinine. That's on the lawyers and the Univ admin for stupid policy and how they handled things. For a simpleton like you I'll spell it out. He did as he was instructed. Jane Meyer was a cancer and a worthless employee. It was still worth every penny to rid themselves of her.

if he bungles things so badly on his own do you honestly think he would still be employed?

The lawsuit argument is asinine. That's on the lawyers and the Univ admin for stupid policy and how they handled things. For a simpleton like you I'll spell it out. He did as he was instructed. Jane Meyer was a cancer and a worthless employee. It was still worth every penny to rid themselves of her.

if he bungles things so badly on his own do you honestly think he would still be employed?
I'll answer... no.

He was directly found to have not done what was required of him with Meyer, if you want to believe she deserved it or not you still have to cya. It was pulling teeth and took way to long for the wrestling building. Ugly truth that everyone knows, we are about to throw good money at a shitty investment with the carver face lift. He has extended coaches at the absolute shittiest times and now has us over a barrel in an inanity to fire a severely under performing OC because he is afraid the guys Dad will take his ball home. Last and arguably most importantly, the greatest marketing for the U of I had nothing to do with the athletic department and everything to do with a lady on Facebook. The university of Iowas contribution to said great marketing you ask..... adding the shittiest song possible simply because it contains the word "wave". If you ask most no gold club or above members they will flat out tell you worse than the idea of Ferentz staying here and us watching rosebowl defenses drag pinstrpi bowl offenses to the outback bowl is the thought of Barta hiring the next coach.

If he were in the real private sector, not what academia considers the private sector, he would have been canned years ago.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk

Way overpaid. 85k a year at most.

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
I'll answer... no.

He was directly found to have not done what was required of him with Meyer, if you want to believe she deserved it or not you still have to cya. It was pulling teeth and took way to long for the wrestling building. Ugly truth that everyone knows, we are about to throw good money at a shitty investment with the carver face lift. He has extended coaches at the absolute shittiest times and now has us over a barrel in an inanity to fire a severely under performing OC because he is afraid the guys Dad will take his ball home. Last and arguably most importantly, the greatest marketing for the U of I had nothing to do with the athletic department and everything to do with a lady on Facebook. The university of Iowas contribution to said great marketing you ask..... adding the shittiest song possible simply because it contains the word "wave". If you ask most no gold club or above members they will flat out tell you worse than the idea of Ferentz staying here and us watching rosebowl defenses drag pinstrpi bowl offenses to the outback bowl is the thought of Barta hiring the next coach.

If he were in the real private sector, not what academia considers the private sector, he would have been canned years ago.
Couple of things. My guess is you wouldn't know a single high donor at the U of I. You're wrong on how they view Barta vs what the general fan thinks. Every person in that type of position is going to have some who aren't fans of them. the consensus among donors is they're pleased with Barta.

Again when has performance on the field been better? That's what most care about.

Football
Mens Basketball
Womens Basketball
Track
Wrestling
Field Hockey

All are performing collectively better than they have in a long time if ever. Show me a time they were better. Not one individual sport. Collectively. Doesn't make a difference if Barta hired each coach or not. He's kept them happy enough to want to have long successful careers at Iowa.

To use Brian Ferentz as an example of what's wrong with Barta might be the dumbest thing I've seen and that's saying something. If Brian Ferentz needs to go that's Kirk Ferentz decision to make(yes I know to abide by policy Brian technically reports to Barta).

If you think Kirk should be fired I guess you can have that opinion. Not many would agree with you.

Using the wave song as another example? LOL..

In the camp that NIL is fine. Players should be able to earn money for running a camp, having a YouTube channel, etc. Where it crosses the line is boosters outright buying players. It's not good for the game and it's not good for the player, to be honest. Throwing 6 figures at 18 year olds and telling them "perform or else" is not a good thing. Just the other day on ESPN there was a segment on the JMU softball player that committed suicide and included more stories about college athletes committing suicide and how mental health issues are a crisis in these ADs who are having to employ more resources to help their athletes cope with the pressures. Now let's throw an NIL gas fire on top of that. This can't be a free-for-all, there needs to be structure and rules to keep things fair, but also to protect these kids from themselves at times.

Some ideas.

1 - return to academics. College is a place to get an education. Enforce entrance requirements and academic progress requirements. Those that want to "play school" can go somewhere else. There are other options now, the USFL, the D-League, European pro leagues, etc.

2 - limit the transfer portal. Free transfer for a freshman after the first year. Mistakes happen, wrong school choices get made. Free transfer for grad students, they've fulfilled their academic requirement. Torn on transfers when there are coaching changes. Don't like it but I'll say it should be allowed. Any other transfer you sit for a year. Average students when they transfer lose credit hours and fall behind on their graduation timeline. This is in keeping with that thought. Sitting a year will help you to catch up academically. We're not here to "play school".

3 - There is a value to a scholarship that somehow needs to be quantified here because right now it's being completely overlooked. There is also a value to the facilities and resources an AD puts towards developing a player. Player development does not happen in a vacuum. Soccer and Junior Hockey have Transfer Fees. Maybe look into something like that.

4 - boosters should not be involved in NIL and recruiting. Buying recruiting classes will only lead to bad things. The NCAA should set up rules to enforce this and separate NIL and recruiting. Nobody is saying a player can't get NIL. We're just saying that if it's being used as an inducement to sign and commit then that isn't allowed.

5- tempted to get away from athletic scholarships and go to a means testing where those that can afford to pay for college due to all the NIL money pay some/all of their tuition. Think of it as FASFA for athletes.

There needs to be a firewall between the school/AD and the NIL money. There should be no comingling of the two with one exception. NIL is a reality and the schools should offer an educational course to its athletes on how to navigate it. No different than the NFLPA and rookie education seminars.

Other than that, have at it. Make as much as you want in endorsements or on social media. There does need to be a somewhat even playing field for the sake of fair competition though. Otherwise the Golden Goose will be killed and nobody will get anything.
Many good points. Some are good, but no longer workable. I especially like number 3, because that's truly been overlooked by those who said scholarship athletes are performing for free. The value includes room, meals, books, tuition, tutors, and probably a few other things not available when I was in school. Besides the dining hall meal ticket, there was a training table buffet for athletes.

Say you are a Republican that preach free market economics and getting government out of the way. Now imagine that same person saying NIL is bad and we need government intervention to regulate the free market of young adults making tons of $$$$.

That is being a hypocrite on your economic view.
When did the NCAA become a government entity?

Reactions: millah_22
Who said that the ncaa is a government entity?
You did. we need government intervention to regulate the free market of young adults making tons of $$$$.

Hypocritical or not, the NCAA is NOT the government. It's a private organization that makes it own rules as it sees fit.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT