ADVERTISEMENT

Conservatives and NIL

You did. we need government intervention to regulate the free market of young adults making tons of $$$$.

Hypocritical or not, the NCAA is NOT the government. It's a private organization that makes it own rules as it sees fit.
I’m not talking about the NCAA #derp

I do agree it is older people But the thing is a lot of conservatives are said stereotype but have different beliefs when it comes to the economy. Older democrats or democrats in general prefer regulation from government which is why I didn’t single them out.

Im just asking the right, why so hypocritical on this subject?
A college education is the to success for these guys except for the exceptional few. The education should be enough. The bleeding heart bs that the kids are nothing more than pawns is stupid. Getting a great education free, far exceeds the nil bs

A college education is the to success for these guys except for the exceptional few. The education should be enough. The bleeding heart bs that the kids are nothing more than pawns is stupid. Getting a great education free, far exceeds the nil bs
You’ll never understand. This all started with O Bannon back in the day wanting to capitalize on his name and image that I believe EA sports was making a ton of money off of back in the day. And he was right. Now it’s certainly not what it intended I’m not sure where you’re getting it’s bleeding hearts. It was won through the courts.

Reactions: RileyHawk
You’ll never understand. This all started with O Bannon back in the day wanting to capitalize on his name and image that I believe EA sports was making a ton of money off of back in the day. And he was right. Now it’s certainly not what it intended I’m not sure where you’re getting it’s bleeding hearts. It was won through the courts.
There are plenty of bleeding hearts talking about coaches getting big bucks and the university getting bigger bucks. The poor kids only get a free education. This ring any bells?

You think conservatives are butt hurt at the schools floating in NIL contributors ?

no.

has zero to do with politics and all about fans thinking they can’t compete in this emerging era.

I wonder how much money will be contributed to NIL funds by conservatives vs liberals?

I’d guess at least a 70/30 ratio in favor of the conservatives.

I wonder how much money will be contributed to NIL funds by conservatives vs liberals?

I’d guess at least a 70/30 ratio in favor of the conservatives.
Is that because liberals have already redistributed their funds? o_O

So it seems like a lot of conservatives (not all but a lot) hate the NIL and are wanting Public institutions to step in and take away the right for young adults to make money in the free market. I’ve seen suggestions of setting a cap on how much a person can make, having them sign a contract to take away the freedom of transferring, not offering them a scholarship because they will make too much, etc…

If you are on the right, why do you think this?
Why do you think "conservatives" oppose this? I know for a fact that many Democrats think it will absolutely ruin college sports. The rich will get richer......and Iowa ain't one of the rich! Most Power 5 teams will become "second tier" programs in FB and BB. Example......tOSU's athletic budget is #1 in the conference at about $210M annually......Purdue I believe is at the bottom at around $110 M annually.......How is Purdue going to compete with 1/2 as much money at tOSU? (They ain't!) I believe UIowa is about 4th in the conference at $180M annually. In 10 years, that's a $300M difference compared to tOSU. How can Iowa reasonably expect to compete over time?
Want to scare you some more.......UTexas and Texas A/M dwaRF tOSU when it comes to raising $$$$$and there are others.....
The NIL program (and transfer portal) as currently designed, will end competitive collegiate sports as we know them in 20 years.......

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
Is that because liberals have already redistributed their funds? o_O
I’m basing the 70/30 on the schools where NIL deals have been highest thus far along with who the BMD’s are at those schools. Also, if I look at my colleagues, I’d say the conservative people in my social and professional circles are much more likely to contribute money to their alma maters for the sake of having better athletic programs.

There's no way KF should be paid millions and Josey Jewell paid nothing
Joey got a free education. He was a star in the sport he loves. He got to live the dream. He was given the tools to thrive in the job market. Kf had the same opportunity and thrived. This is great system. We do not need another professional league.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
So, then, what government entity came up with the NIL concept? Can't be the NCAA, since you're not talking about them.
No government entity came up with NIL lol. The government entity I’m talking about are public universities

In your OP you said, "So it seems like a lot of conservatives (not all but a lot) hate the NIL and are wanting Public institutions to step in and take away the right...". No private institutions are doing that?

After re-reading the OP, I think I misunderstood your point, and apologize. Regardless, your premise that this is conservatives doing it I do believe is unfounded.

Sorry I was so dense. You're one of the few on here I don't have on ignore.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
Joey got a free education. He was a star in the sport he loves. He got to live the dream. He was given the tools to thrive in the job market. Kf had the same opportunity and thrived. This is great system. We do not need another professional league.
everyone from KF to the Marco's stand on Melrose made money when Josey was here except Josey, and he should be making the most.

everyone from KF to the Marco's stand on Melrose made money when Josey was here except Josey, and he should be making the most.
Ask Josey what he thinks instead of using his name to state your case.

TAMU is desperate and rich. They were a top 20 recruiting school before. Now they’re number one.

Lincoln Riley was smart. He went to a school that was desperate to win and had the alumni money and market to do it. Brian Kelly was a moran, who wasn’t smart enough to see that Notre Dame was in the same position.

$40-50 million is probably more than enough to buy a championship. Those schools have plenty of guys who can drop that kind of money.
Not if your coach is Scotty Frosting.

Is “NIL fund” even a thing?

NIL is suppose to be companies paying athletes for promotional reasons.
Right, but you can also set up an independent non-profit that “licenses” players images. That’s what Texas boosters did.

It doesn't matter what it is supposed to be. We have already seen examples where it isn't just that. It is being used as pay for play and inducing recruits and transfers to go to particular schools. Not the promotional reasons that actually has businesses getting a ROI from the payment to the player.

It doesn't matter what it is supposed to be. We have already seen examples where it isn't just that. It is being used as pay for play and inducing recruits and transfers to go to particular schools. Not the promotional reasons that actually has businesses getting a ROI from the payment to the player.
Well it’s impossible to audit everything and see if they can calculator ROI so it is what it is.

schools like Iowa were never competing for national titles anyway so I don’t think it changes much. The biggest losers are the non revenue sports if donations to the general athletic fund drop.

still think the funniest part of this is hot female athletes getting paid only because they are sexy.

Reactions: West Duval Nole
Well it’s impossible to audit everything and see if they can calculator ROI so it is what it is.
That is the problem with really even trying to regulate it. You can get a big time money booster that owns a business or hell i guess even at his house or other business and pay a kid whatever amount he wants for a session for him to come sign his autograph or take pictures or whatever. All the while knowing it benefits to the business is $0. How the hell can anyone be expected to regulate or monitor that or say the kid didn't use his name and image to make the money? Is it his fault if a business or person is stupid with their money?

Last edited:
Reactions: BrunoMars420
That is the problem with really even trying to regulate it. You can get a big time money booster that owns a business or hell i guess even at his house or other business and pay a kid whatever amount he wants for a session for him to come sign his autograph or take pictures or whatever. All the while knowing it benefits to the business is $0. How the hell can anyone be expected to regulate or monitor that or say the kid didn't use is name and image to make the money? Is it his fault if a business or person is stupid with their money?
In a perverted sort of way the lack of oversight and regulation is the great equalizer. Winning is the ROI. If they are not winning the money will stop flowing or the coach will get fired.

except for the hot chicks. The boosters just have some fantasy about having sex with them. They couldn’t care less about their athletic performance.

In a perverted sort of way the lack of oversight and regulation is the great equalizer. Winning is the ROI. If they are not winning the money will stop flowing or the coach will get fired.

except for the hot chicks. The boosters just have some fantasy about having sex with them. They couldn’t care less about their athletic performance.
Those women also have thousands (or more) followers on Instagram

If they are not winning the money will stop flowing or the coach will get fired.
Will be interesting to see how long Jimbo lasts at TAMU if he doesn't win them one in the next 3 years or so. 3 more recruiting classes like the one he just had and if he finds an elite QB and they will have bought one.

Those women also have thousands (or more) followers on Instagram
I get it but it’s funny. Nobody cares about dominate female athletes, have some nice T&A and $$$$$.

Olivia Dunne might take in more NIL money than all of the university of Iowa athletes combined. I don’t think it’s because LSU gymnastics is popular.

Will be interesting to see how long Jimbo lasts at TAMU if he doesn't win them one in the next 3 years or so. 3 more recruiting classes like the one he just had and if he finds an elite QB and they will have bought one.
A triggered NIL donor calling into talk radio blasting a player he says he paid a $1 million dollars for.

Only a matter of time. That’s when a player might consider the portal for a quieter experience.

This will all settle out. There is truly zero reason a kid shouldn't be able to make money as an athlete especially those in sports that aren't football or basketball. Those kids are not getting full rides for the most part. They get partial scholarships so why shouldn't they be able to supplement their income and pick up 500 bucks for some promotion if they are able to do it? They are for the most part paying close to full freight on everything.

As for the top athletes many of them are in their prime and are not going to make the NFL. Tyler Goodson swung and missed in the draft. Sure he signed a deal to go to Green Bay but that doesn't mean much. Why shouldn't he have been able to make some money as. Hawkeye exactly? There really isn't any reason other than some convoluted sense of fairness dictated by those not affected or involved. Maybe this nil will finally allow kids to try the draft and come back if they don't get drafted. That if course would be better for all of them

Is “NIL fund” even a thing?

I use it as an all encompassing term for the numerous creative ways the boosters will find to put money in the hands of athletes. For example, TAMU boosters set up a bunch of LLC’s to get their $30+ million of “NIL funds” into the hands of the football players.

If you don't notice a level of competition difference between thr nfl/d1/d3 I have no idea what to tell you. I could win games with Alabamas talent and I don't have a clue how to teach the fundamentals of the trenches. Nick sabin isn't beating Alabama with Illinois talent. What we are seeing is the same thing that happens in any business. There is too mich corporate fluff, 6/7 figure jobs for analyst, without thr sales people thr org doesn't go. You can have a team lead by players you cannot have a team without the players.
you misunderstand.. No one watches G league games even though they are better than college players. The name on the front of the jersey matter to college fans rather than the name on the back.

hows the usfl doing? Should we be paying smart hs students that will end up being doctors. I mean those teachers are making money off their backs.

I find all the angst and Chicken Little drama over this to be amusing. Exactly the same kind of reaction when free agency started for professional sports. "It will ruin the game", etc. The early stages of this are the Wild West and there will be a lot of dead money spent. Eventually it will even itself out.

Reactions: littlez
What sucked about the NCAA for so long was that scholarship kids couldn't do anything to make an extra buck without being penalized for it. They could have got a job schlepping sloppy joes in the cafeteria and been penalized for it. NIL is opening up a flood gate. I think we will see some moderation in the coming years as things become more normalized.

So it seems like a lot of conservatives (not all but a lot) hate the NIL and are wanting Public institutions to step in and take away the right for young adults to make money in the free market. I’ve seen suggestions of setting a cap on how much a person can make, having them sign a contract to take away the freedom of transferring, not offering them a scholarship because they will make too much, etc…

If you are on the right, why do you think this?

I never thought this would shake out on political lines. Interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT