ADVERTISEMENT

Conservatives reveal their incredible hypocrisy via these Minneapolis police stories...

I for one find it encouraging that iahawks10 requires all gun owners to remove their 2A protected arms from their person and nearby reach when they have drank alcohol.

I'm surprised that this is his stance, but he's posted it essentially a dozen times, so he must believe it strongly.

Or five times (at that point). That is essentially twelve. You were more accurate than you normally are so I give you credit there.

Glad to have you back stalking my posts again. I missed you.

I'm wondering if anyone actually believes Castille was about to shoot that officer? There is another thread about what levels of inherent risk our police should be responsible for accepting before shooting people. Since we have so many people carrying guns, I'd like to think the bar for shooting a citizen was higher than how fast a person is able to draw and fire a weapon. By that logic, we're all in danger everywhere we go everyday. You shoot someone and just say they were going for their gun and could have killed me in less than a second?

If someone is carrying and their hand "goes for their gun," you can shoot them? No verbal threat, "I'm going to kill you," "you're a dirty cheater." When was the last time a killer told someone he had a gun before he went to draw and shoot? Billy the Kid? Seems like the threshold for a legal shootin was higher in tombstone than for police in Minneapolis.

I know ZERO people who thinks those are interchangeable statements. "On the lap" implies it was outside the pocket. You know that.
I never said the two are interchangeable. It's sort of like how all toads are frogs but not all frogs are toads.

If your pocket is in your lap and something is in your pocket then that item is both in your pocket and in your lap. But the item can be in your lap without being in your pocket.

That's a fairly complicated concept for someone of your intellect so I don't expect you to fully grasp it.

Try to think of it this way - if Mrs. Menace Sockeyes has her hand in some dude's front pants pocket then is it also safe to say her hand is in his lap?

I'm wondering if anyone actually believes Castille was about to shoot that officer? There is another thread about what levels of inherent risk our police should be responsible for accepting before shooting people. Since we have so many people carrying guns, I'd like to think the bar for shooting a citizen was higher than how fast a person is able to draw and fire a weapon. By that logic, we're all in danger everywhere we go everyday. You shoot someone and just say they were going for their gun and could have killed me in less than a second?

If someone is carrying and their hand "goes for their gun," you can shoot them? No verbal threat, "I'm going to kill you," "you're a dirty cheater." When was the last time a killer told someone he had a gun before he went to draw and shoot? Billy the Kid? Seems like the threshold for a legal shootin was higher in tombstone than for police in Minneapolis.

I'll guess it's safe to assume Yanez believed Castile (or Castille in your case) was about to shoot him. Probably the twelve jurors who acquitted Yanez too.

Everyone else believes that Castile was killed because of the color of his skin.

As far as quick draws in the Old West, do you really think one gunfighter waited for the other to pull his gun or do you think that once he reached for his gun it was time to act?

I never said the two are interchangeable. It's sort of like how all toads are frogs but not all frogs are toads.

If your pocket is in your lap and something is in your pocket then that item is both in your pocket and in your lap. But the item can be in your lap without being in your pocket.

That's a fairly complicated concept for someone of your intellect so I don't expect you to fully grasp it.

Try to think of it this way - if Mrs. Menace Sockeyes has her hand in some dude's front pants pocket then is it also safe to say her hand is in his lap?

That's a lot of mental gymnastics for such simple BS.

That's a lot of mental gymnastics for such simple BS.

I'll try and slow it down some. The gun was in his lap. The gun does not have to be exposed to still be considered in someone's lap.

lap1
lap/
noun
  1. 1.
    the flat area between the waist and knees of a seated person.
    "come and sit on my lap"
    synonyms: knee, knees, thighs

Reactions: Hawk in SEC Country
I'll try and slow it down some. The gun was in his lap. The gun does not have to be exposed to still be considered in someone's lap.

lap1
lap/
noun
  1. 1.
    the flat area between the waist and knees of a seated person.
    "come and sit on my lap"
    synonyms: knee, knees, thighs

The gun was in his pocket. Two officers and a paramedic testified to this this fact. The gun was not in his lap. Period

I am pointing out the hypocrisy of the inconsistency in trating these two cops aND suspects differently. You either side with cops or the victims. Anything else reveals a bias or agenda.

You're trying to make this a black and white situation regarding two separate incidents that are nowhere near being close to the same.

The bias and agenda that's being revealed is yours.

I'm not disagreeing with that. Even in his pocket, it can still be in his lap (the flat area between the waist and knees.). Keep up guy.

A gun cannot both be in someone's pocket and on their lap at the same time. The gun was in his pocket. It was not on his lap or between his legs. Period

He was told not to reach for that area of his body. He still did so. That will get you shot every time, regardless of what or who you are.

They are just trying to argue semantics now. Ignoring all of the relevant facts which lead to Castile's death. Even still, one incident has nothing to do with the other incident the OP was trying to portray as the same thing.

A gun cannot both be in someone's pocket and on their lap at the same time. The gun was in his pocket. It was not on his lap or between his legs. Period

Oh really? Because right now I have a pack of gum in my pocket, which is resting on my lap. But you say that's impossible.

Oh really? Because right now I have a pack of gum in my pocket, which is resting on my lap. But you say that's impossible.

You are just playing games. When people say something is on their lap the commonly understood meaning, among non-knuckledraggers, is that it is on their lap outside of their clothes.

The gun was in his pocket. It was at no time visible to the policeman

That has nothing to do with someone saying the gun was on his lap when it was in his pocket

Regardless of where it was......when an officer says don't reach to that side of your body, you don't do it.
Either that, or let the officer instruct you how to remove it safely so both of you go home alive that night.

I have a C&C permit for Florida. I've been pulled over and asked if I had any firearms in my car. I keep mine in the pocket of my door when I'm traveling. I told the officer where it was, then let him remove it from my door. And at the end of the traffic stop, it was given back to me. I was thanked for being compliant and respectful.

Castile stated that he was armed, then moved towards the weapon after being told not to. If it's you, me, or Castile.......doing so will get you shot, regardless of if it's on your lap, or in your pocket.

You are just playing games. When people say something is on their lap the commonly understood meaning, among non-knuckledraggers, is that it is on their lap outside of their clothes.

Doesn't have to be visible. Castile stated that he had it, and stated where it was. If you, as a police officer, wait for someone to make a weapon visible before reacting.....after they tell you that they have it? You just signed your own death certificate.

Actually if you go back and look I'm not the one who said the gun was in his lap. I was trying to explain to Menace what another poster meant when explained what someone's lap actually consists of. I was trying to get Menace back on point because he appeared defeated in his argument and resorted to arguing over the definition of lap. Kind of like you. Weird

Now it's TJ's fault that you and Menace don't know what the actual definition of lap is?

He was told not to reach for that area of his body. He still did so. That will get you shot every time, regardless of what or who you are.
This isn't true. My cop friends have a million stories about people not following directions. People get really nervous around cops and its common that they ignore directions because they have already started to just grab their license or registration or whatever. There were other factors involved, and anyone who doesn't admit that his age and the color of his skin weren't factors just isn't being honest. If it were a 65 year old white lady would she be dead? A 16 year old girl?

Maybe once we can all agree that race plays a factor in how police handle situations, we can move on to a productive conversation about how to address this. For instance, there are more instances of police being murdered by 20 to 40 something black men than being murdered by 16 year old girls. Based on this, wouldn't it be human nature to be more on edge when pulling over a black man in a high crime neighborhood of Minneapolis than a 16 year old girl in a tiny Midwest town? Of course.

NOW, what do we do to help police do their job safely AND help reduce the unnecessary death of citizens? I don't have the answer, but I wish both of these citizens were alive today.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
You're trying to make this a black and white situation regarding two separate incidents that are nowhere near being close to the same.

The bias and agenda that's being revealed is yours.

Doesn't have to be visible. Castile stated that he had it, and stated where it was. If you, as a police officer, wait for someone to make a weapon visible before reacting.....after they tell you that they have it? You just signed your own death certificate.

Again, cop killers calmly tell officers they have a gun on them beforehand? Listen to yourself.

The police have shown us through their actions that this is handled completely differently depending on skin color. If this driver was white he could have reached all over the place even after telling the cop that he had a gun.

Shaun King has two examples from Cincinnati police how they handle the same dangerous situation very differently based on skin color

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...le-standards-black-men-face-article-1.2537271

The police have shown us through their actions that this is handled completely differently depending on skin color. If this driver was white he could have reached all over the place even after telling the cop that he had a gun.

Shaun King has two examples from Cincinnati police how they handle the same dangerous situation very differently based on skin color

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...le-standards-black-men-face-article-1.2537271

So because they handled a situation that way in Cincinnati, that automatically makes it so in Minneapolis? By a minority police officer?
Wait...was he a white or brown hispanic?

Again, cop killers calmly tell officers they have a gun on them beforehand? Listen to yourself.

I advise you to listen to yourself. Keep throwing shit against the wall and hope that it sticks.

No one called him a cop killer. But if you are on the scene, do you know his intentions? Even if he tells you he is armed..........and you tell him NOT to move to that side of his body, yet he does.....and keeps doing so was you are screaming for him to stop....what do you do?

See, you have the benefit of knowing what happened next. While the officer had no idea what Castile's intentions were, regardless of what he said.

This isn't true. My cop friends have a million stories about people not following directions. People get really nervous around cops and its common that they ignore directions because they have already started to just grab their license or registration or whatever. There were other factors involved, and anyone who doesn't admit that his age and the color of his skin weren't factors just isn't being honest. If it were a 65 year old white lady would she be dead? A 16 year old girl?

Maybe once we can all agree that race plays a factor in how police handle situations, we can move on to a productive conversation about how to address this. For instance, there are more instances of police being murdered by 20 to 40 something black men than being murdered by 16 year old girls. Based on this, wouldn't it be human nature to be more on edge when pulling over a black man in a high crime neighborhood of Minneapolis than a 16 year old girl in a tiny Midwest town? Of course.

NOW, what do we do to help police do their job safely AND help reduce the unnecessary death of citizens? I don't have the answer, but I wish both of these citizens were alive today.

Why would Castile be nervous around cops? He had 50+ interactions with cops over the years. He knew what to, and what not to do. Not saying he deserved to get shot. But his actions definitely contributed to it.

Awesome. That's a fine we differ on that. I'm addressing the hypocrites here who suddenly weren't so "Blue Lives Matter" in the Damond case. Really "interesting" why. I have no idea your take on that.

Reactions: Hawk in SEC Country
So because they handled a situation that way in Cincinnati, that automatically makes it so in Minneapolis? By a minority police officer?
Wait...was he a white or brown hispanic?

It is all across the country and the disparity is with the skin color of the subject, not the officer.

White people who point guns at cops and don't get killed

Here are 8 white people who pointed guns at police officers — and didn’t get killed
http://www.rawstory.com/2016/07/her...guns-at-police-officers-and-didnt-get-killed/

White Man in California Shoots at Cops With Gun, Gets Shot With Beanbags and Arrested
http://www.complex.com/life/2016/08/white-man-california-shoots-at-cops-gets-shot-beanbags-arrested

I have an idea. You probably won't like it though.

Remain calm. Follow the officer's instructions. Keep your hands visable and don't make any sudden/jerky moves. Put as much light on as possible (dome/reading lights). Obey the law, especially when it comes to carrying weapons. Don't lie on your permit to carry application.

This will help, but it won't end police shooting people. Police F up.

Awesome. That's a fine we differ on that. I'm addressing the hypocrites here who suddenly weren't so "Blue Lives Matter" in the Damond case. Really "interesting" why. I have no idea your take on that.

My take on this most recent event? The cop is not talking and lawyering up. Even his partner stated that he has no idea why this guy fired his weapon. Why did this cop reach across his partner and fire at the person who called 911...which HAD BEEN ESTABLISHED THAT SHE WAS THE COMPLAINANT.

This was intentional. And I don't know a single police officer that I know, who defends this guys actions, due to that his actions fly in the face of everything they are trained on for this type of call.

The MPLS Police Chief was right......this was manslaughter. And I have a feeling that it "may" have been premeditated.

However, I will wait for the facts before i say what I think should happen.

I have an idea. You probably won't like it though.

Remain calm. Follow the officer's instructions. Keep your hands visable and don't make any sudden/jerky moves. Put as much light on as possible (dome/reading lights). Obey the law, especially when it comes to carrying weapons. Don't lie on your permit to carry application.

This will help, but it won't end police shooting people. Police F up.

Maybe you should read what other police officers and experts have to say about how this now fired officer handled this traffic stop.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/21/us/video-police-shooting-philando-castile-trial.html

He claims he stopped Castile because he looked like a robbery suspect and then is completely non challant and casual in how he approaches the car and interacts with Castille.

“The officer got too close to the passenger’s window. If I thought he was a robbery suspect, I would have had my hand on my gun. The tactics were a little laissez-faire if you thought you were dealing with an armed robbery suspect.” — Garry F. McCarthy, a former Chicago police superintendent

“If Officer Yanez had a reasonable belief that Mr. Castile was a suspect in an armed robbery, he should have employed a high-risk car stop, and to do otherwise would be inconsistent with generally accepted police practices.” — Jeffrey J. Noble, a former California police officer who testified on behalf of the prosecution in Minnesota, in a report on Mr. Castile’s death

Then when Castille says he has a gun, the officer again proceeded incompetently

“That’s where the officer has to freeze it and get everything to stop. Oh, there’s a gun involved now. Let’s reframe the situation and make it safe for everybody.” — David A. Klinger, professor of criminology and criminal justice at the University of Missouri-St. Louis and a former Los Angeles police officer

“You go into the head of the driver, and he’s apparently trying to be honest and straightforward. He was probably thinking, ‘I’ll be a good guy and show the officer my carry card, and this will all be over.’ What was happening in the officer’s mind was different. Maybe the officer thought he was going for the gun.” — Geoffrey P. Alpert, professor at the University of South Carolina who studies high-risk police activity and police violence

“The victim did everything right, everything he was supposed to do. The victim was very respectful, very polite, letting the officer know what he was doing. None of that made a difference.” — Paul Butler, law professor at Georgetown University and former federal prosecutor

My take on this most recent event? The cop is not talking and lawyering up. Even his partner stated that he has no idea why this guy fired his weapon. Why did this cop reach across his partner and fire at the person who called 911...which HAD BEEN ESTABLISHED THAT SHE WAS THE COMPLAINANT.

This was intentional. And I don't know a single police officer that I know, who defends this guys actions, due to that his actions fly in the face of everything they are trained on for this type of call.

The MPLS Police Chief was right......this was manslaughter. And I have a feeling that it "may" have been premeditated.

However, I will wait for the facts before i say what I think should happen.

His partner corroborated that they had just been spooked by a loud noise and thought they were being ambushed, but I agree this was probably manslaughter too. But yeah, I will wait for the facts too. That's my point. Interesting which way the assumptions break.

His partner corroborated that they had just been spooked by a loud noise and thought they were being ambushed, but I agree this was probably manslaughter too. But yeah, I will wait for the facts too. That's my point. Interesting which way the assumptions break.

That nonsense from the officer behind the wheel of the car made that statement several days after the shooting. That was the best they could come up with the lay the groundwork to exonerate the shooter officer who still has not given a statement to investigators.

It is all across the country and the disparity is with the skin color of the subject, not the officer.

White people who point guns at cops and don't get killed

Here are 8 white people who pointed guns at police officers — and didn’t get killed
http://www.rawstory.com/2016/07/her...guns-at-police-officers-and-didnt-get-killed/

White Man in California Shoots at Cops With Gun, Gets Shot With Beanbags and Arrested
http://www.complex.com/life/2016/08/white-man-california-shoots-at-cops-gets-shot-beanbags-arrested

So what about the 450+ white people that were killed by police last year?. 8 incidents is not a healthy sampling. Nor does it prove bias. Each incident is different on it's own. None of them are the same exact incident. Some of these are also "suicide by cop" events. Police ARE trained to react differently when this is a possibility.

You're trying to this a "black and white" answer. Sorry, but that definitely is not even remotely a fact.

Reactions: Chuck C
You're trying to this a "black and white" answer. Sorry, but that definitely is not even remotely a fact.

Except that it is very much a black and white issue. Police regularly handle the same circumstances completely differently depending the race of the subject.

So what about the 450+ white people that were killed by police last year?. 8 incidents is not a healthy sampling. Nor does it prove bias. Each incident is different on it's own. None of them are the same exact incident. Some of these are also "suicide by cop" events. Police ARE trained to react differently when this is a possibility.

Except that it is very much a black and white issue. Police regularly handle the same circumstances completely differently depending the race of the subject.

You're both right: studies show police unfairly stop, and get physical with similar black suspects more. However, there is no bias in use of DEADLY force.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT