ADVERTISEMENT

Construction continues on the ‘Field of Dreams’ ballpark in Iowa. But will the Aug. 13 White Sox-Yan

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
kees Game Go On as Planned?:

The video is 45 seconds of baseball bliss.

It begins with a shot of the site where the Aug. 13 “MLB at Field of Dreams Game” between the White Sox and Yankees is scheduled to take place. It ends at the diamond where the iconic 1989 movie “Field of Dreams” was filmed.

Promote health. Save lives. Serve the vulnerable. Visit who.int
ADVERTISING
Major League Baseball provided a glimpse of the progress of the temporary ballpark in Dyersville, Iowa, with the video on its Instagram and Twitter pages last week. The caption underneath the Instagram post read: “Sweet (Field of) Dreams. Construction is still underway in Iowa.”

To paraphrase the famous line in the movie, workers are building it. But it remains to be seen if any teams will be coming to play a game there this season.

The “MLB at Field of Dreams Game” was announced in August, with the Sox and Yankees scheduled to meet for one game at a temporary 8,000-seat ballpark on the Dyersville farm where the film starring Kevin Costner took place.

Dyersville is about 200 miles west of Chicago. The Sox and Yankees were two of the favorite teams of one of the film’s characters, according to the news release that accompanied the game’s announcement. Some of the temporary ballpark’s features aim to pay homage to Comiskey Park.

MLB branched out to unique settings for games in recent seasons. The Fort Bragg (N.C.) Game in 2016 featured the Braves and Marlins. The Royals played the Tigers last season in Omaha, Neb., home of the College World Series. The annual Little League Classic in Williamsport, Pa., began in 2017, with the Cubs playing the Pirates in it last season.

Sox players quickly embraced the opportunity.

“That’s pretty cool — get to head out to Iowa and play right in the cornfields,” pitcher Lucas Giolito said Aug. 9.

Hotel rooms in the surrounding areas were gobbled up quickly, even though tickets for the game had not been made available. The website beyondthegameiowa.com lists a series of events, from exhibits to musical acts to pickup baseball games, to keep fans occupied.

Fox Sports, scheduled to televise the game nationally, ran commercials hyping the event during the World Series. And a crew arrived at Sox spring training camp in Glendale, Ariz., in early March to film more promotions, including shortstop Tim Anderson riding a tractor.

A little more than a week later, MLB suspended the remainder of spring training and postponed the start of the season indefinitely because of the coronavirus pandemic.

In the weeks that followed, MLB announced the cancellation of the Mexico Series between the Padres and Diamondbacks scheduled for April 18-19 in Mexico City, the Puerto Rico Series between the Mets and Marlins scheduled for April 28-30 in San Juan and the London Series between the Cubs and Cardinals on June 13-14.

Time will tell what’s in store for a potential 2020 season and the “Field of Dreams Game.”

https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...0200514-5mgln27v5bcldfu6cuvxl2qgti-story.html

I don't get still doing this if fans aren't going to be there. Not entirely sure they don't just postpone this until next year.

Yeah, it seems kind of silly to have the game this year if no fans can be there. It would seem to defeat the purpose.

If it happens and I can get tickets, I’m willing to spend quite a bit to make it happen. Especially if it’s only a one-time deal, which it appears to be.

My Cardinals playing in my hometown would be phenomenal.

Grew up in Dyersville, lived in the Omaha area my entire adult life. Got to see the first MLB game in Omaha last year; I'm thinking getting to see this game is far less likely.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/bas...cle_445e1d07-ab38-5fc6-8210-ec4bbe5909c8.html

I didn’t grow up there but played a lot of baseball at the Dyersville ballpark and knew a lot of the Blazer players through my high school’s rivalry and American Legion baseball.

If fans are permitted, I’ll risk COVID to attend the game. The very idea that MLB is going to be played very close to where I grew up and developed my love for the game is mind-blowing.

And, yes, I fully recognize that tickets will be hard to find and off-the-charts expensive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT