ADVERTISEMENT

Controversy over Mills County Fair Queen

gohawks50

HR Legend
Gold Member
Dec 28, 2010

MILLS COUNTY, Iowa (KMTV) — It was a dream come true for Maggie Begbie when she was named Mills County Fair Queen.

"I worked really hard for this. This was my third year running and I ran for the Junior Miss contest and I ran middle school for that. It has a really big impact on my life," Begbie said.

But less than a week after she won her crown — she was dethroned.

The Mills County Fair Board of Directors called for an emergency meeting on July 11 after board members received a photo of Begbie holding a mini liquor bottle. Since Begbie is 19 and underage the board was concerned she wouldn't be a good role model, but Begbie insists the photo was misinterpreted.

Begbie was a bridesmaid at a wedding posing with the other women when the photo was taken.

"In the photo, they're all drinking it. You can tell by their faces. And I was given an empty shooter bottle. No alcohol in it whatsoever. I was holding it up in the air, not even close to my face. It's quite obvious I'm not drinking in the photo," Begbie said.

She says the board didn't talk to her or hear her side of the story before removing her title. That's why she hired a lawyer to reclaim the title and finish her duties.

"We do things in the moment, we're human. I wasn't gonna think about this. I would have never guessed this all would have happened," Begbie said.

3 News Now reached out to a board member and the fair board's attorney for comment. Both declined to speak on camera but one board member says they "hated" doing it. The board did send the paperwork that shows whoever holds the title is required to uphold certain standards.

While Begbie has hired a lawyer, she's not sure how far she'll take her fight.

"It's just constantly in the back of my mind and it honestly eats me alive," Begbie said.

She hopes that when people hear her story they take away a message to be true to themselves.

"Fight for yourself when people are assuming the wrong thing. I'm an advocate for yourself and sticking up for yourself," Begbie said.

She says the fair board didn't appoint anyone new to replace her.

Dear Iowa,

You have too many counties. Please eliminate half of 2/3 of them.
Do you know why Iowa has so many?

Because as sub jurisdictions were being created post-statehood, the criteria required every county seat to be no more than a half-day horse ride to all residents residing within that county, thereby allowing farmers to conduct government business and return home to their farms without requiring an overnight stay.

giphy.gif

Because as sub jurisdictions were being created post-statehood, the criteria required every county seat to be no more than a half-day horse ride to all residents residing within that county, thereby allowing farmers to conduct government business and return home to their farms without requiring an overnight stay.

giphy.gif
My 6th grade teacher empathized that fact a lot. Big old waste of tax payer money according to him.

Reactions: lucas80

giphy.gif
I explained this to a guy on Tuesday as we were discussing the inefficiency of state government. He couldn't believe we were beholden to this system.

giphy.gif

Same deal in Georgia. 159 counties, only Texas has more. It's crazy. In the Atlanta area, it's easy to drive in 4-5 counties in a regular day's activities.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Iowa should go from 99 to 25 counties.

But too many people would lose their power and they'd go kicking and screaming. That and the battle of where the new county seat would be located.

Reactions: MitchLL and lucas80

MILLS COUNTY, Iowa (KMTV) — It was a dream come true for Maggie Begbie when she was named Mills County Fair Queen.

"I worked really hard for this. This was my third year running and I ran for the Junior Miss contest and I ran middle school for that. It has a really big impact on my life," Begbie said.

But less than a week after she won her crown — she was dethroned.

The Mills County Fair Board of Directors called for an emergency meeting on July 11 after board members received a photo of Begbie holding a mini liquor bottle. Since Begbie is 19 and underage the board was concerned she wouldn't be a good role model, but Begbie insists the photo was misinterpreted.

Begbie was a bridesmaid at a wedding posing with the other women when the photo was taken.

"In the photo, they're all drinking it. You can tell by their faces. And I was given an empty shooter bottle. No alcohol in it whatsoever. I was holding it up in the air, not even close to my face. It's quite obvious I'm not drinking in the photo," Begbie said.

She says the board didn't talk to her or hear her side of the story before removing her title. That's why she hired a lawyer to reclaim the title and finish her duties.

"We do things in the moment, we're human. I wasn't gonna think about this. I would have never guessed this all would have happened," Begbie said.

3 News Now reached out to a board member and the fair board's attorney for comment. Both declined to speak on camera but one board member says they "hated" doing it. The board did send the paperwork that shows whoever holds the title is required to uphold certain standards.

While Begbie has hired a lawyer, she's not sure how far she'll take her fight.

"It's just constantly in the back of my mind and it honestly eats me alive," Begbie said.

She hopes that when people hear her story they take away a message to be true to themselves.

"Fight for yourself when people are assuming the wrong thing. I'm an advocate for yourself and sticking up for yourself," Begbie said.

She says the fair board didn't appoint anyone new to replace her.

Hate to ask being from Iowa.
Which one is an Iowa 10?

Reactions: jasonrann
Iowa should go from 99 to 25 counties.

But too many people would lose their power and they'd go kicking and screaming. That and the battle of where the new county seat would be located.
10-15 counties, tops. That's what Iowa needs. Form super counties based upon the economic strengths of regions of the state, with a nod towards geography and population density. There is zero need for 99 counties. 99 road crew supervisors. 99 treasurers.
Some things you would have to work out. 10-15 county courthouses doesn't work. Legit, in person legal services should not exclude people by ability to get to a courthouse 75-100 miles away. There would need to be satellite court facilities, and extension offices for certain things. Those things could be worked out.

Reactions: torbee
I propose giving Mills County to Nebraska or potentially including Fremont County as a package deal with Missouri.
My thoughts as well. Without looking on a map... figured Missouri or Nebraska border.

Now I just have to google to verify. ;)

Several years ago... maybe 12-15, there was serious discussion about cutting to 50-60 county seats. Much of it was based when Iowa was going through a serious financial crunch and some pencil pushers wanted to reduce IPERS benefits by cutting the number of County courthouse employees, ie... elected officials and support staff.

Rural counties legislators in Western and Southern Iowa were very vocal against that idea. The idea eventually died but it was seriously considered for a year or two.

Last edited:
To the point of the thread, seems like a huge overreaction.

I know the girl is disappointed but someone should tell her she’s better off.
Going to court to get reinstated as county fair queen is kind of lame.

Ratting out a county fair queen by emailing the board of directors a picture of her holding a liquor bottle for a staged pic at a wedding reception is even more lame.

I see no winners here.

ADVERTISEMENT