ADVERTISEMENT

Cook and pemsl

Bulldogs1974

HR Legend
Oct 16, 2012
The bad: Rough game from the refs but I like what I saw. Pemsl will continue to get the worst from officials because of how he plays. Officials watch tape and that will hurt him until he learns to lose a little of the attitude. If he were a senior he might get away with more but he is a freshman. Cook seemed to be out of sync but you would expect that. That's the bad
The good: that's as good of an inside combo as there is in the country. They both shot over 50%; both would have been 60% if not for a missed dunk. I continue to be thuroughly impressed with Cordell's skill around the hoop.
need to start and play together with kreiner and Wagner backing them up. Uhl I'm sorry you get a minute or two depending on fouls.

Agreed. They will get better and they will learn how to play the "big ten" game. Cook was taken out of the game right away with fouls. Sucks but that's the way it goes when your young and on the road. I think in EVERY game the home team was in the double bonus first before the visitors. Thought that was odd.

But both players will get better. Come home vs MICH and re-group.

Over/Under on 3pointers attempted by both teams: 50

I also thought the freshman bigs did very well. Cordell and Tyler were not afraid or intimidated. I mean, let's get real-- Purdue played lights out. Take away the blistering outside shooting, and our young team hung in there. I don't see another game on the schedule as difficult as this one was.

Did Cordell play without the knee brace for the first time tonight? Didn't think I saw it on.

Once the 2 of them learn to play together that could be special.

I'm as high on Pems as I am anyone on that team.

A year of muscle, experience, and coaching can make a great difference.

Invite Tom Davis to work with them a little bit this summer.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
How's Pemsl been a dick?
I said flirting with it. But, it's the little things, most often on his, and ones. Many times this year officials talked with him after these plays. Just watch, you'll see it occasionally, but I know officials see this when the watch tape. It's also something upperclassmen will get away with more.

Cooks defense will come, it has too right? When you are that athletic, defense can be taught. I blame his HS coach. How does a kid that big and athletic come to college completely unprepared to defend anybody... Fran has his work cut out

Cook hasn't played for a long time, developmental time, so it will take time for him to catch up with the rest of the regulars, most of whom are still in the developmental stage themselves. We all knew this would happen with Cook. Hopefully Purdue isn't making 3's like they did last nite on Jan 12th, so that the Hawks can focus on stopping Haas and Swanigan. Dailey needs to play more as he is a good 1 on 1 defender.

The bad: Rough game from the refs but I like what I saw. Pemsl will continue to get the worst from officials because of how he plays. Officials watch tape and that will hurt him until he learns to lose a little of the attitude. If he were a senior he might get away with more but he is a freshman. Cook seemed to be out of sync but you would expect that. That's the bad
The good: that's as good of an inside combo as there is in the country. They both shot over 50%; both would have been 60% if not for a missed dunk. I continue to be thuroughly impressed with Cordell's skill around the hoop.
need to start and play together with kreiner and Wagner backing them up. Uhl I'm sorry you get a minute or two depending on fouls.

Pemsl got screwed on a missed goaltending call. Replay clearly showed it on a Pemsl layup. So that is an extra made basket.

Pemsl and Cook need to take open jumpers when presented with them. Both have a nice touch and staring down open 10-15 footers is not a luxury this team has with so few scoring options. I would rather have these guys shoot it than Jok try a running statue of liberty shot with the clock expiring.

Pemsl and Cook need to take open jumpers when presented with them. Both have a nice touch and staring down open 10-15 footers is not a luxury this team has with so few scoring options. I would rather have these guys shoot it than Jok try a running statue of liberty shot with the clock expiring.

They stare down 10-15 footers because it is not the best shot they or the team can get that trip. Pemsl has shown he can get by/around/through quicker and bigger guys and still get a quality shot off almost every time...that is what he should continue to do.

Cook's jumper is a mess...he doesn't have a consistent release point yet...it is something he is working on and hopefully will come to him eventually, but right now it is not an evolved part of his game, so asking him to resort to that is asking for trouble.

Pemsl got screwed on a couple of calls. Spot on about those calls going the other way as a senior. Cook needs to get more active on defense and play smarter on offense. The talent is there but I don't get the people who are afraid he will go pro early. He has much to learn.

Cordell and Troy need to spend as many minutes on the floor together as possible. It doesn't look like they need to occupy the same space on the floor. Cordell has good floor vision and has made some nice passes out of the low post. The savage dunks make it appear Cook's not worried about his finger. Agree that Kreiner should certainly see all of the reserve minutes for Cordell. Wags and the Baer Cage can play Troy's reserve minutes, depending on game sitch and match ups. Uhl just does not make enough productive plays to make a positive contribution when on the floor.

Cordell and Troy need to spend as many minutes on the floor together as possible. It doesn't look like they need to occupy the same space on the floor. Cordell has good floor vision and has made some nice passes out of the low post. The savage dunks make it appear Cook's not worried about his finger. Agree that Kreiner should certainly see all of the reserve minutes for Cordell. Wags and the Baer Cage can play Troy's reserve minutes, depending on game sitch and match ups. Uhl just does not make enough productive plays to make a positive contribution when on the floor.

And here I thought it was Tyler all along :eek:

I've been to a few games and have 'seen' what Bulldogs1974 is talking about with Pemsl. My guess is that he's figuring out this next level of physicality and gets frustrated in the moments. He likely enjoyed roughing kids up in high school and rarely met anybody who could escalate and give him a run. Not so much now. Even our pre-conference schedule had some big kids.

I definitely saw a ref getting control of the action during the Delaware State game. Called an off ball foul on the DS big and then almost immediately called an off ball on Pemsl at the other end. Ref talked to both of them individually.

Pemsl got screwed on a missed goaltending call. Replay clearly showed it on a Pemsl layup. So that is an extra made basket.

He got screwed a ton in that game. Two incorrect offensive foul calls, some other touch fouls and then got goal tended with no call.

I thought they were suposed to review stuff like that now?

Last edited:
Reactions: unoHawkeye
I posted this in an other thread, but the two of them in the game at the same time hurts our D.

I posted this in an other thread, but the two of them in the game at the same time hurts our D.

Right now, Cook just hurts the defense period. Especially since he is in there in place of Wagner or Baer who are decent defenders.

Cook had a moment where he looked completely lost on D, they were doing a kind of close up and the kid was just clueless. But he's not even 14 games into his career. He won't get better on the bench.

The officiating was pretty hostile. Steratore was pretty good but the shorter fatter guy was pounding the hammer hard for the Boilers. Really unfair officials is also something these freshmen are seeing for the first time. Officiating was by no means the difference in the game, of course. Cordell has to learn how to bull his way to the basket without making it so obvious. Troy can't grab the first guy he sees after Troy makes a bad play.

This group will be damn fun to watch. These boy have a pretty high upside. Hoping for the NIT and a good run to get the freshmen and sophs experience in post season play.

Barring injuries or significant transfers I don't know what the record will be in the 2017 season but I do predict, schedule unseen, at least 11 B1G wins next year and at least the second round if not the blessed mother of God Sweet 16. The first seven players on this squad all seem to have a level of athleticism, confidence and, frankly enthusiasm that our last generation of players lacked, as good as they were. Think the Hawkeye boys are going to be damn good the next 3-4 years.

Cook had a moment where he looked completely lost on D, they were doing a kind of close up and the kid was just clueless. But he's not even 14 games into his career. He won't get better on the bench.

The officiating was pretty hostile. Steratore was pretty good but the shorter fatter guy was pounding the hammer hard for the Boilers. Really unfair officials is also something these freshmen are seeing for the first time. Officiating was by no means the difference in the game, of course. Cordell has to learn how to bull his way to the basket without making it so obvious. Troy can't grab the first guy he sees after Troy makes a bad play.

This group will be damn fun to watch. These boy have a pretty high upside. Hoping for the NIT and a good run to get the freshmen and sophs experience in post season play.

Barring injuries or significant transfers I don't know what the record will be in the 2017 season but I do predict, schedule unseen, at least 11 B1G wins next year and at least the second round if not the blessed mother of God Sweet 16. The first seven players on this squad all seem to have a level of athleticism, confidence and, frankly enthusiasm that our last generation of players lacked, as good as they were. Think the Hawkeye boys are going to be damn good the next 3-4 years.
Pemsyl is just used to backing his way right to the basket. Then last game he runs into Bigge Swanigan, and Haas, who has to be one of the ten biggest humans on the planet. He looks like Drago in Rocky four only 6 inches taller and 60 pounds heavier! Cordell will be fine against most the mere mortals in the league.

You guys realized he was out for a month right? Takes time to learn defense at this level and missing a month doesn't help.

Reactions: Kurt Warner
They stare down 10-15 footers because it is not the best shot they or the team can get that trip. Pemsl has shown he can get by/around/through quicker and bigger guys and still get a quality shot off almost every time...that is what he should continue to do.

Cook's jumper is a mess...he doesn't have a consistent release point yet...it is something he is working on and hopefully will come to him eventually, but right now it is not an evolved part of his game, so asking him to resort to that is asking for trouble.

Yet it's 1000% better than a year ago

Reactions: Legend12
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT