ADVERTISEMENT

Cook, wiggington, Shayock G League invitees

Or they want to pursue a career playing while their bodies are still able?

A big part of Cooks decision was the injuries he's had. finger Fr. year. he's had hand injuries the past 2 seasons and had 2 scary situations with knee lower leg injuries that kept him out of games this year. NBA or not, going to work full time on your game is going to speed up your development and ability at opportunity to make money playing ball. I don't think people realize that these kids are student athletes and they do spend a lot of time on non-basketball activities and are also limited with how much coaching/practice they get.

Reactions: Nohawknamesleft
G league player avg for salary was 44k.

If he doesn’t impress in this camp he should go the way of Aaron White

I would agree, the G League is more of a pit stop than a career.

That's all basketball outside the NBA and a few spots in Europe.

Foregoing a free degree for 44k is idiotic.

Try to actually improve yourself 1 more year enough to get drafted

White and Marble played 4 years and ended up getting drafted. Cook is allot more talented than those 2 but unfortunately he has no clue how to play basketball.

It's sad to watch someone squander both amazing physical gifts and the opportunities they gave him.

Cook should stay in school and get a degree. Unless he hasn’t gone to class all semester and would be an academic loss next year anyway.

Europe will always be there, plenty of articles about how that isn’t always as good as it sounds.

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69

White and Marble played 4 years and ended up getting drafted. Cook is allot more talented than those 2 but unfortunately he has no clue how to play basketball.

It's sad to watch someone squander both amazing physical gifts and the opportunities they gave him.

Actually what would be idiotic is to give up your dream so you could attend school, Play for free, Get your body beat up and have to deal with the NCAA BS.

What is actually smart these days if you have potential to be in the NBA is to get into the G league, get paid a little, learn the ropes, hopefully catch on a two way contract or even get signed and brought up full time. The old thinking of "He is leaving to early" is ridiculous. They can always return and get a degree. You say free college? Well if the most they make is 44k a year in the G league. They can pay the 15K a year to go back. If you don't make the NBA. You can still make a great living in a top league in Europe, China, and a lot of other places.

Staying in college when you have potential these days is a terrible idea.

Actually what would be idiotic is to give up your dream so you could attend school, Play for free, Get your body beat up and have to deal with the NCAA BS.

What is actually smart these days if you have potential to be in the NBA is to get into the G league, get paid a little, learn the ropes, hopefully catch on a two way contract or even get signed and brought up full time. The old thinking of "He is leaving to early" is ridiculous. They can always return and get a degree. You say free college? Well if the most they make is 44k a year in the G league. They can pay the 15K a year to go back. If you don't make the NBA. You can still make a great living in a top league in Europe, China, and a lot of other places.

What % of g leaguers make the NBA?

What do you folks think a communication students degree from UIowa does for a career?

Probably not a heck of a lot.
It's about connections if you have them or know someone who does then you'll be fine as a graduate of Iowa. Trust me, someone would hire him for more than the $44k just because of who he is. It's up to him after that

It's about connections if you have them or know someone who does then you'll be fine as a graduate of Iowa. Trust me, someone would hire him for more than the $44k just because of who he is. It's up to him after that

Someone will hire him for who he is if he goes G League or Europe also. staying in school if you have potential is the old way of thinking. With the way pro basketball works now it's smart to get out and get going. Now if you play for a school like Stanford? Maybe not. That degree carries much more weight than an Iowa or Iowa State. let's not kid ourselves. Plus, it costs a crap load to go to Stanford.

Based on no in depth research at all, I suspect it's more likely that a player would have an NBA career of at least one year actively on a roster if they try do do it from the G-league as opposed to Europe. This would be for those G-league guys without a 2 way deal. The players that get those 2 way contracts are clearly at an advantage.

If a player doesn't get the 2 way deal, though, I wonder what the money difference looks like over time. I'm completely guessing, but I have thought that a guy like Aaron White is better off in Europe (overall financially) than if he stayed in the G league.

Based on no in depth research at all, I suspect it's more likely that a player would have an NBA career of at least one year actively on a roster if they try do do it from the G-league as opposed to Europe. This would be for those G-league guys without a 2 way deal. The players that get those 2 way contracts are clearly at an advantage.

If a player doesn't get the 2 way deal, though, I wonder what the money difference looks like over time. I'm completely guessing, but I have thought that a guy like Aaron White is better off in Europe (overall financially) than if he stayed in the G league.

Yeah White in Europe makes way more money than the G League guys. However, I am guessing you have a greater shot nowdays of getting called up by the NBA if you are in the G League. Not to mention most Euro contract don't have an out clause to go play in the NBA. G league that is the main goal. I think it's like playing baseball. You can play for the Cubs and play in Iowa or you can go sign a contract in Japan. The Japanese contract is for the full year and no call ups. The Cubs triple A is designed to be called up.

Someone will hire him for who he is if he goes G League or Europe also. staying in school if you have potential is the old way of thinking. With the way pro basketball works now it's smart to get out and get going. Now if you play for a school like Stanford? Maybe not. That degree carries much more weight than an Iowa or Iowa State. let's not kid ourselves. Plus, it costs a crap load to go to Stanford.

Stanford is free for all students.

Cook may be more athletic then White, but I'm not sure he's more talented. White was certainly a better shooter, especially from the line where he made his living. If you want to call it a talent, his basketball IQ was light years ahead of Cook. He knew exactly what his role was, as a garbage man, and he cleaned up for one hell of a career at Iowa.

Actually what would be idiotic would be chasing a pipe dream, of which you have twice in two years been told it is indeed a pipe dream. I like Tyler, but he has about a 0.1% chance of ever making the NBA. He doesn't have that single skill at which he is dominant. And after feedback didn't seem to really improve much.

That is funny. G League or Europe gets you zero exposure that would matter to getting a non-athletic job. A degree on the other hand will help getting that job.

Sometimes a man just has to admit who he is and what he can do.

What do you folks think a communication students degree from UIowa does for a career?

Probably not a heck of a lot.
Well my son has a salary of $250000 and has nearly a million in bonus coming in next two years with that degree

Reactions: BBHawk
Well my son has a salary of $250000 and has nearly a million in bonus coming in next two years with that degree
Further evidence that undergraduate degrees are extremely overrated. I contend that they will help you get your first job (if that even), and everything after that is based on experience and work ethic. Being able to interview well, network, and sell yourself are FAR more important than a degree - your son presumably is more than capable of these things

With TC’s connections he’s likely developed being a part of the basketball team, he probably won’t ever have to worry about a job regardless of degree (which he could easily come back and get if hoops doesn’t pan out). So kudos to him for chasing his dream, even if a long shot

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

Fantasy land.

Leaving early for the g league is absurd. May as well leave early to manage an Arbies.

The way it works now? WTF are you talking about? Its nearly impossible to get into the NBA now and the rest doesn't matter.

Almost nobody gets "beat up" playing basketball, guys are playing way longer than ever now. Theres guys in their 40s still taking roster spots in the NBA now.

Leaving for anything other than sure fire first round pick is wasting opportunities for basically nothing.

If you're not good enough to get drafted your not getting in.

Gets your foot in the door in more places than a high school diploma.

Big Ten basketball stud and any degree will get you some chances in Sales around Midwest.

If that was the future I was facing, my first stop after graduation would be the rope and rickety chair store.

Cook may be more athletic then White, but I'm not sure he's more talented. White was certainly a better shooter, especially from the line where he made his living. If you want to call it a talent, his basketball IQ was light years ahead of Cook. He knew exactly what his role was, as a garbage man, and he cleaned up for one hell of a career at Iowa.
Cook’s more athletic than White. But barely.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT