ADVERTISEMENT

Cooper DeJean as a mild-mannered U. of Iowa student or as a Football SuperStar

Oblivious, if I recall correctly Coach Patterson is also a West Point graduate. That would suggest he is pretty intelligent- or at least most if not all of us.
I did not know that, but I am certainly not surprised to hear that. I don't know everything he does currently, but I believe it involves data analytics and breaks down team's tendencies, trends and results.

DeJean is one of those gifted once-in-a-generation natural multi-sport athletes, a rare combination of speed, agility, power, and instinct who can excel at just about any sport. I'm really looking forward to watching him play for the Hawks this season; I think he finds a spot somewhere in the secondary. He has all the tools to be All-B10.
I agree 100%. He would have been a wrestling title contender if he had dual sported in the winter. Like the kid from SE valley....Aaron Graves.

Lon was from Decorah and recruited (according to the media) as a QB in Hayden's first class in 1979. Coaches Fry and Snyder had other plans for him, and he became a big WR. Versatile, talented, a good blocker who had very good hands.

Broke his leg in the 1981 UCLA game and never recovered to 100%. Spent the rest of his career as a talented backup tight end, but the injury must have been pretty bad.

If DeJean is as good as Olejniczak ()without the injury) Iowa fans should be very grateful.
DeJean is far more athletically gifted than LO. Not even really the same converstation. When I saw CD long jump at state and then smoke everyone in the 100 It took awhile for me to pick my jaw up. He is not a small guy either. I'd say around 6'4" and ripped...this was when he was still in HS.

DeJean is far more athletically gifted than LO. Not even really the same converstation. When I saw CD long jump at state and then smoke everyone in the 100 It took awhile for me to pick my jaw up. He is not a small guy either. I'd say around 6'4" and ripped...this was when he was still in HS.
If you study his HS QB video, you will be even more impressed.

The use of Dwight was criminal. That was at the end of Hayden's time when the offense was stagnant and out-of-date.

They used Dwight on offense as a traditional wide receiver and basically would only throw deep routes to him and otherwise would just run him on wide-receiver reverses that became comically easy to see in advance and were usually blown up.

If only Bill Snyder had still been at Iowa during the Dwight years, I'm sure he would have used him effectively. You wanted to get Dwight in space, it's just crazy that I don't think they ran a single screen pass to Dwight his entire career at Iowa. Criminal misuse of a generational talent.
With his offensive acumen, if Fry can make that big a mistake, can you even imagine what this regime is capable of?

Okay I'm confused here. CD is listed as 6'1" and 203lbs on the current roster, and that appeared pretty accurate from watching him last season, (and that was AFTER high school). I highly doubt he's anywhere near 6'4". Sounds like the legend grows by the day. By Sept. he'll be 6'6" and 230, and shooting bolts of lightening from his arse.......

Okay I'm confused here. CD is listed as 6'1" and 203lbs on the current roster, and that appeared pretty accurate from watching him last season, (and that was AFTER high school). I highly doubt he's anywhere near 6'4". Sounds like the legend grows by the day. By Sept. he'll be 6'6" and 230, and shooting bolts of lightening from his arse.......
I walked right by him at Drake Relays last year and he was at least 4 inches shorter than me. Probably in the 6’1” to 6’2” range would have been my best guess.

He throws effortlessly and can really move. sadly his accuracy must be stanleyesque if nobody wanted him at qb.

I walked right by him at Drake Relays last year and he was at least 4 inches shorter than me. Probably in the 6’1” to 6’2” range would have been my best guess.
Ron-Gosling-Clapping-Reaction-Gif-At-An-Awards-Show.gif

Charlie Jones is gone and Iowa's biggest playmaker. Does not reflect well on staff IMO.

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
The use of Dwight was criminal. That was at the end of Hayden's time when the offense was stagnant and out-of-date.

They used Dwight on offense as a traditional wide receiver and basically would only throw deep routes to him and otherwise would just run him on wide-receiver reverses that became comically easy to see in advance and were usually blown up.

If only Bill Snyder had still been at Iowa during the Dwight years, I'm sure he would have used him effectively. You wanted to get Dwight in space, it's just crazy that I don't think they ran a single screen pass to Dwight his entire career at Iowa. Criminal misuse of a generational talent.
He should have played some RB and safety as well. I think he would have been NFL at any of those positions.

He throws effortlessly and can really move. sadly his accuracy must be stanleyesque if nobody wanted him at qb.
From what I saw, his accuracy is actually exceptional, but what I found amazing was his vision. On several long throws, the receiver was not open when Coop released the ball. But he could see the receiver was headed for an open area and put the ball exactly there.

From what I saw, his accuracy is actually exceptional, but what I found amazing was his vision. On several long throws, the receiver was not open when Coop released the ball. But he could see the receiver was headed for an open area and put the ball exactly there.
to be clear i would also love to see him dominate for iowa as a qb. no question it looks like he would be dangerous. but nobody apparently recruited him at qb.

CDJ was one of those guys whose film looks great and then you realize the competition is overmatched so you kind of question how good is the kid? Then you watch a little more and realize that CDJ really is as fast as he seems.

The Hawks should use CDJ on offense. Put together a few simple packages for him. Be a huge surprise because he can run or throw out of the Wildcat or a WR screen. Cooper will already be studying how to defend WRs so he could probably learn some routes fairly quickly. He's probably been reading defenses since he learned to actually read so I think its a rare combination of athleticism and practical skills and should be exploited to the max.

CDJ was one of those guys whose film looks great and then you realize the competition is overmatched so you kind of question how good is the kid? Then you watch a little more and realize that CDJ really is as fast as he seems.

The Hawks should use CDJ on offense. Put together a few simple packages for him. Be a huge surprise because he can run or throw out of the Wildcat or a WR screen. Cooper will already be studying how to defend WRs so he could probably learn some routes fairly quickly. He's probably been reading defenses since he learned to actually read so I think its a rare combination of athleticism and practical skills and should be exploited to the max.
Do you think he is ready to contribute in a significant way on defense this year? If so where? He's listed on the depth chart as a corner but I would think his natural position is safety. Or is he the next in a long line of Cash players to move on to the NFL.

Cooper Dejean is not playing QB or in the wildcat this year. Full stop.

Do you think he is ready to contribute in a significant way on defense this year? If so where? He's listed on the depth chart as a corner but I would think his natural position is safety. Or is he the next in a long line of Cash players to move on to the NFL.

Cooper Dejean is not playing QB or in the wildcat this year. Full stop.
Well, you are probably right about the latter, and I will be disappointed.

With respect to the former I think he will emerge at CB and X will be either CASH or the other starting safety. Or they will share the positions. PP does some ingenious things. No one should be surprised if Iowa runs some blitzes we have not seen before. Well, hopefully the opposing QB will be surprised.

Yeah, I'm still pretty upset about it as well. They did a very poor job of getting him touches. :mad:

Reactions: DewHawk
Well, you are probably right about the latter, and I will be disappointed.

With respect to the former I think he will emerge at CB and X will be either CASH or the other starting safety. Or they will share the positions. PP does some ingenious things. No one should be surprised if Iowa runs some blitzes we have not seen before. Well, hopefully the opposing QB will be surprised.
Do YOU think he is ready to contribute this year? Hahahahahahahahahahaha

I fear you might be right. IIRC, Hayden Fry publicly admitted that he regretted not better utilizing Tim Dwight’s once-in-a-generation talent. I’m not saying Cooper is at Tim Dwight’s level, but there’s no doubt he has the athleticism and ability to be a playmaker.

Maybe they will consider at some point throwing him into the offense. Whether to do some sort of RPO plays or whatever, I would hope they’d try to get creative. The offense needs a lot of new energy and imagination injected into it.
Reminds me of James Morris in HS.

I absolutely feel that Cooper DeJean has the same work ethic as Nile Kinnick and possible some of the same DNA as both grew up in Iowa. "At Adel High School, Kinnick led the football team to an undefeated season, and then he scored 485 points for the basketball team, leading them to the district finals. After his junior year of high school, the Kinnick family moved when Nile Kinnick Sr. took a job in Omaha, Nebraska. Nile was a first-team all-state selection in both football and basketball as a senior, as he started for one year with his brother Ben at the Benson High School in Omaha. He led Benson to a third-place finish in the state basketball and to the city baseball championship." Cooper, We love you and wish you the best in the coming seasons !!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: brewhawk23
I absolutely feel that Cooper DeJean has the same work ethic as Nile Kinnick and possible some of the same DNA as both grew up in Iowa. "At Adel High School, Kinnick led the football team to an undefeated season, and then he scored 485 points for the basketball team, leading them to the district finals. After his junior year of high school, the Kinnick family moved when Nile Kinnick Sr. took a job in Omaha, Nebraska. Nile was a first-team all-state selection in both football and basketball as a senior, as he started for one year with his brother Ben at the Benson High School in Omaha. He led Benson to a third-place finish in the state basketball and to the city baseball championship." Cooper, We love you and wish you the best in the coming seasons !!!!!!!!!!!
I believe the elder Nile got a job in Omaha with the Union Pacific Railroad. In the mid-1930s if you had a family and got a job offer you took it.

ADVERTISEMENT