ADVERTISEMENT

Cooper DeJean

We all know that KF would have had McCaffery playing dback if he had his choice.

After watching that catch Cooper made on the interception I don't know how you don't at a minimum have him at reciver.

Seems like anyone with a brain would just put him at qb so he has the ball every play.
Cooper Dejean was the best athlete on the field yesterday for either team and you want to waste his talent waiting for Petras to find him? That would be stupid.

Reactions: intrepodor
Cooper is the modern day equivalent of Nile Kinnick. He can do whatever he applies himself to in that field and be successful at a variety of positions to help his team win. I just hope they start utilizing him more in creative ways.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Let's no forget about Schulte either.

As a walk-on, I think he's surprising many.

Agreed. I have a coworker who’s an incessant pessimist about Iowa athletics. He’s been bitching all season about how X is going to transfer and it’s lunacy that a walk-on is starting in front of him. I’ve asked him several times if he’s actually watched Schulte play.

He played 1a Iowa qb. Get real.
Well then, he played 1a at other positions as well and it translated to success at the college level. My previous comment was tongue in cheek but I would have to say he has grasped the college level play very well like many former Iowa Hawkeyes from small high schools.
QB is the most m difficult transition I will give you that. Cooper has one of the best traits when you talk to him or just observe his demeanor. He has what it takes “between the ears”.
It’s my opinion but, give him 1 year in a QB position and he would excel. Problem is now he’s valuable right now in position. We graduate too many seniors on defense after this year and he will be needed on that side of ball.

Reactions: Hammer93
So many on here don't see that he's a generational talent. He could be our best player at 7 different positions. To think he couldn't be a much more effective QB for Iowa than what we've seen is having blinders.
A safety playing corner. Would he even start at OhioSt or Michigan or Illini with those players? Coop was a Hawk from the get-go but other choice was UNI. This is a recording of the myth of Riley Moss. Nice Iowa kid story but that's it. Reality vs myth but that is why we are homers.

Agreed. I have a coworker who’s an incessant pessimist about Iowa athletics. He’s been bitching all season about how X is going to transfer and it’s lunacy that a walk-on is starting in front of him. I’ve asked him several times if he’s actually watched Schulte play.
This works vs bad teams and a drop back no big play at any cost D. Not so much vs the big boys and this is a big boy conference. But really a 5'9 not fast walk on from CR that was recruited by no one starting at saftey. Get real. If that is best you have, you better keep this watered-down schedule. The DM kid will transfer sitting behind that.

A safety playing corner. Would he even start at OhioSt or Michigan or Illini with those players? Coop was a Hawk from the get-go but other choice was UNI. This is a recording of the myth of Riley Moss. Nice Iowa kid story but that's it. Reality vs myth but that is why we are homers.
Coop is a good athlete. I don’t think he’s quite as good as the legend he’s made out to be. In time he maybe elevate his game to elite status but right now is just a solid player.

CD threw and ran for over 9600 yards and had 127 TD's in 2 years in HS. 4 star by 247sports. 6'2" and 209 LBS. 2021 All American Bowl. He is a dude. You can take all of your opinions and put them in the trash. The Hawkeye staff even says "he's different". I don't care what level of football he played in HS. I've seen him 2 times in person when he was in HS and he was really damn good with the ball in his hands. He's shown that ability at the highest level of football in D1 (his interception return for a TD). I don't pass out legendary status easily, but he's a freaking talent. AND yes... I think he would be a starter at the schools mentioned previously. I think he is going to be better than Moss by a large margin when it's all said and done.

CD threw and ran for over 9600 yards and had 127 TD's in 2 years in HS. 4 star by 247sports. 6'2" and 209 LBS. 2021 All American Bowl. He is a dude. You can take all of your opinions and put them in the trash. The Hawkeye staff even says "he's different". I don't care what level of football he played in HS. I've seen him 2 times in person when he was in HS and he was really damn good with the ball in his hands. He's shown that ability at the highest level of football in D1 (his interception return for a TD). I don't pass out legendary status easily, but he's a freaking talent. AND yes... I think he would be a starter at the schools mentioned previously. I think he is going to be better than Moss by a large margin when it's all said and done.
A different dude, legendary, generational talent as said in other post.
This brings me to identify past Hawkeyes I’ve watched in person in those terms. Guy’s who played early and at a high level only to carry on to next level.
Andre Tippit, Tim Dwight, Marshall Yanda, Tristan Wirfs. Plenty of others to consider.

This works vs bad teams and a drop back no big play at any cost D. Not so much vs the big boys and this is a big boy conference. But really a 5'9 not fast walk on from CR that was recruited by no one starting at saftey. Get real. If that is best you have, you better keep this watered-down schedule. The DM kid will transfer sitting behind that.
Have you seen Schulte play?

Reactions: pistachio1999
Do you even watch Iowa football?

Phil Parker has been developing walk-on safeties at Iowa since essentially day-one!

The end result is often NFL-caliber players.

Whether these kids were offered high-level D1 scholarships is immaterial if they ended up playing at such a high level.

Anyhow, as a counterpoint to your assertion ... Iowa's D held its own against Ohio State for much of the game. The problem is that the O put them in way too many bad situations for them to be successful.

Questioning Phil's track-record at this stage is pure lunacy.

Cooper is the modern day equivalent of Nile Kinnick. He can do whatever he applies himself to in that field and be successful at a variety of positions to help his team win. I just hope they start utilizing him more in creative ways.
I'm surprised he's no longer returning punts.

You are correct!!!! I believe X will take over for Merriweather and be a shutdown corner on the short side of the field.
Merriweather does not play corner. He's listed as the starting Strong Safety, though Schulte and Merriweather both have enough experience that they can flip pretty easily.

I would agree that it's likely that Nwankpa takes over for Merriweather next year. I would be shocked if X is not starting somewhere next year, either at one of the safety spots or at Cash. Not getting into a whole argument about whether he should be playing more this year.

I would like to see him get an ocassional series with the first team defense now. But I get why PP does not operate that way. X does have athletic abilities that no one else in the back end does. It takes time to grow into safety as mistakes there can result in TD's.

Having watched him in high school 4 times, I was stunned to hear you were not even looking at him at QB - or anyone else, evidently. Never doubted he would be a good defender, but he has difference maker potential as a QB.

• Haha
Reactions: SBWarriorHawk
I'm surprised he's no longer returning punts.
Why are you surprised?

He's not going to get reps ahead of Moss because Moss is a team leader AND it helps build Moss's draft-stock (which continues to help our "brand").

Besides, we're already thin at DB ... and Cooper has the ability to play both CB and CASH ... pretty risky to endanger such a critical player.

Having watched him in high school 4 times, I was stunned to hear you were not even looking at him at QB - or anyone else, evidently. Never doubted he would be a good defender, but he has difference maker potential as a QB.
He's already on the trajectory to be gone after 3 years ... so he's more than proving to be just a "good defender."

You mean the Moss who was the BIG DB of the year, and an All American last year, that Riley Moss? o_O

Riley Moss, B1G DB of the year, All American.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT