ADVERTISEMENT

New Story ****Cooper Koch commits to Iowa****

Obligatory...

DentalPessimisticFireant-size_restricted.gif

Hawkeyes land Class of 2024 hoops star Cooper Koch, son of former Hawkeye J.R. Koch.

-

Fantastic! I'll say this to those who bag on Frans recruiting. One of the biggest things Fran did was to make a big point to welcome former Hawks back to the program. When Alford was here the Indiana troll did everything he could to alienate former players, and make them not welcome. This move by Fran and his involvement with Iowa high school and AAU teams is now starting to bear real fruit as the level of play continues to improve in the Hawkeye state high school hoopers. Great to welcome another Hawk legacy back to the nest.....And yes I know Koch plays in Illinois, but the point stands.....

Perfect in Fran's system, stretch 3/4 had interest from good chunk of B10 teams!

I was a bit worried when he commented how he LOVED the game day environments at Mackey and the Kohl Center.

When Connie clinched the B1G Championship, he was there & stormed the court.

But, as we know, Fran is known as "the closer" when it comes to recruiting. ;)

Another Illinois kid picking the Hawks. Big recruiting win for Fran.

Fantastic! I'll say this to those who bag on Frans recruiting. One of the biggest things Fran did was to make a big point to welcome former Hawks back to the program. When Alford was here the Indiana troll did everything he could to alienate former players, and make them not welcome. This move by Fran and his involvement with Iowa high school and AAU teams is now starting to bear real fruit as the level of play continues to improve in the Hawkeye state high school hoopers. Great to welcome another Hawk legacy back to the nest.....And yes I know Koch plays in Illinois, but the point stands.....

maybe you should be giving the shout out to Tom Davis for signing papa Koch and papa Murray?

Alford signed legacy Gatens which goes counter to your argument. Even Lickliter signed legacy Devn Marble. Signing legacies because you have the inside track is part of the job description.

maybe you should be giving the shout out to Tom Davis for signing papa Koch and papa Murray?

Alford signed legacy Gatens which goes counter to your argument. Even Lickliter signed legacy Devn Marble. Signing legacies because you have the inside track is part of the job description.
Sorry but I just don't agree with this at ALL. Fran has most certainly built a bridge that had been burned not only with legacy players but most certainly with Iowa high schools, and AAU programs. Gatens may have been a sure thing, and Marble I don't think had many other good D1 offers. Young Koch could have gone almost anywhere in the BIG, and Fran did his due dilegence with the twins. If you think they were a shoo in to come to Iowa if Fran hadn't been keeping up with their progress AND been the first to offer, they would have had A LOT of offers after they blew up early in their days at DME. I think your sorely under playing the job he did to welcome them home. I think its funny that people rag on Fran for not closing the deal with top recruits, and then when he signs someone like the twins and they blow up, of course the refrain was, "well where else were they going to go" once they had an Iowa offer. Thats just silly. If you want to rip the guy for not closing the big fish, okay I guess, but he deserves credit for the players he signs as well, who could most certainly have had other options.

Awesome! Welcome Coop!

p.s. no offense to Cooper, but every once in a while it would be nice to recruit a guy that has the body of some of the football players the Hawks get!

Mike Gesell has 2 young boys and you know they are going to know how to handle the rock!

Sorry but I just don't agree with this at ALL. Fran has most certainly built a bridge that had been burned not only with legacy players but most certainly with Iowa high schools, and AAU programs. Gatens may have been a sure thing, and Marble I don't think had many other good D1 offers. Young Koch could have gone almost anywhere in the BIG, and Fran did his due dilegence with the twins. If you think they were a shoo in to come to Iowa if Fran hadn't been keeping up with their progress AND been the first to offer, they would have had A LOT of offers after they blew up early in their days at DME. I think your sorely under playing the job he did to welcome them home. I think its funny that people rag on Fran for not closing the deal with top recruits, and then when he signs someone like the twins and they blow up, of course the refrain was, "well where else were they going to go" once they had an Iowa offer. Thats just silly. If you want to rip the guy for not closing the big fish, okay I guess, but he deserves credit for the players he signs as well, who could most certainly have had other options.
I agree it was no sure thing Iowa would land him even with his dad playing here. Being a more sought after recruit makes it no sure bet and his dad played with Dean Oliver so that could've helped Wisconsin. Not all legacies follow in Dad's footsteps going to his alma mater like Keegan Johnson for football. Very good get for Iowa and Fran and man I feel old seems like yesterday I was watching those teams with Koch, McCausland and Settles.

Reactions: Kurt Warner
Big time get by Fran
It really is. Just because he’s a legacy recruit doesn’t mean he was automatically in the bag. Kyler Kasper once tweeted a pic of him at Kinnick saying he was looking forward to being on that field some day, and we all know how that turned out. That’s not meant as a dig at either Kirk or Kasper, as recruiting is a crapshoot. The point is when a kid’s recruitment starts blowing up, other options naturally become attractive, so there’s a lot more work to be done in getting a commitment.

Great get by Fran. Give credit where it’s due.

Hawkeyes land Class of 2024 hoops star Cooper Koch, son of former Hawkeye J.R. Koch.

Other scholarship offers included Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, and Wake Forest.

-

IIRC, JR was listed as 6’11 at Iowa. Any chance Cooper grows to be a 7 footer?

Reactions: Torg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT