ADVERTISEMENT

Coralville announced as Day 6 overnight host for 50th anniversary RAGBRAI July 28

jamesvanderwulf

HR Legend
Nov 27, 2015
People's Republic of Johnson County
This is yuge! When it went past my house a few years back I gave away 500.00 worth of beer, pop and water. What's @GOHOX69 gonna dish out?

Just as in 1973, the starting point will be Sioux City, on the Missouri River, and the ending point will be Davenport, on the Mississippi. Overnight towns from the original route will be Storm Lake, Ames and, of course, Des Moines, where as many as 100,000 riders are expected in an attempt to set a world record for the largest single-day bike ride.

The longstanding expansion to seven days from the original route’s six, as well as logistical considerations, required some additions and alterations, said Ride Director Matt Phippen. Carroll will stand in on Day 3 for Fort Dodge, which was on the route just two years ago. And instead of trying to cover the distance from Des Moines to Davenport in just two days with a stop in tiny Williamsburg, riders will overnight in Tama-Toledo on Day 5 and Coralville on Day 6.

What is RAGBRAI?
Season 3 Leave GIF by Martin

This is yuge! When it went past my house a few years back I gave away 500.00 worth of beer, pop and water. What's @GOHOX69 gonna dish out?

Just as in 1973, the starting point will be Sioux City, on the Missouri River, and the ending point will be Davenport, on the Mississippi. Overnight towns from the original route will be Storm Lake, Ames and, of course, Des Moines, where as many as 100,000 riders are expected in an attempt to set a world record for the largest single-day bike ride.

The longstanding expansion to seven days from the original route’s six, as well as logistical considerations, required some additions and alterations, said Ride Director Matt Phippen. Carroll will stand in on Day 3 for Fort Dodge, which was on the route just two years ago. And instead of trying to cover the distance from Des Moines to Davenport in just two days with a stop in tiny Williamsburg, riders will overnight in Tama-Toledo on Day 5 and Coralville on Day 6.
Whatever the revenuers can't take away from me. I have a bunch of homemade beer I made! How about that?

• Haha
Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Seems like the overnights are more geared towards larger cities. Is that a function of smaller towns not committing the time and resources to bid or more of the larger areas providing more entertainment options and probably better entertainment provided(better concerts)

M
Seems like the overnights are more geared towards larger cities. Is that a function of smaller towns not committing the time and resources to bid or more of the larger areas providing more entertainment options and probably better entertainment provided(better concerts)
Most small towns lose money or struggle to break even

For once I agree with NorthernHawkeye telling you to STFU, it's RAGBRAI and has been great for Iowa, all politics aside. Go whine about it on thebump.com
Telling it like it is. Ignoring this MAGA cesspool for a tradition created by a Liberal Rag according to the MAGA cultists running the state into oblivion. Sure pal, agree with Northern. Embarrassing.

It's incredibly hard t0 host an overnight for RAGBRAI. Their hosting manual is about 1000 pages thick, and that's no BS. Biggest problem for smaller towns is supplying the required number of volunteers necessary to pull it off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT