ADVERTISEMENT

Cordell Pemsl's hardship waiver approved, still has two years of eligibility remaining

Apr 8, 2003
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- University of Iowa junior forward Cordell Pemsl's hardship waiver petition has been approved by the Big Ten Conference.

Pemsl (6-foot-8, 230 pounds) will have two years of men's basketball eligibility remaining after playing a total of 29 minutes in two nonconference games last season (UMKC, Iowa State). The native of Dubuque, Iowa, underwent season-ending surgery on Dec. 18, 2018, to remove hardware near his knee from a previous surgery when he was in high school. Pemsl has played in 68 career games, averaging 7.2 points and 4.7 rebounds per contest.

Pemsl is the second Hawkeye in as many years to receive a hardship waiver (Connor McCaffery in 2018).

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- University of Iowa junior forward Cordell Pemsl's hardship waiver petition has been approved by the Big Ten Conference.

Pemsl (6-foot-8, 230 pounds) will have two years of men's basketball eligibility remaining after playing a total of 29 minutes in two nonconference games last season (UMKC, Iowa State). The native of Dubuque, Iowa, underwent season-ending surgery on Dec. 18, 2018, to remove hardware near his knee from a previous surgery when he was in high school. Pemsl has played in 68 career games, averaging 7.2 points and 4.7 rebounds per contest.

Pemsl is the second Hawkeye in as many years to receive a hardship waiver (Connor McCaffery in 2018).
Can't be true, everyone has it out for the Hawks......:rolleyes:

Thanks for the great news!

Reactions: Blair Sanderson
Good news, given the thin roster. Pemsl's best attribute is the attitude he brings to the floor, which we didn't see with Moss or Cook, except on rare occasions. He needs to work hard on developing his right hand, so defenses can't overplay his left, which can be very crafty around the basket. I don't think he has the quickness or shot to play away from the basket, and I don't think that is going to change, so I think Fran needs to use him primarily as a post up option on offense. He has the strength to hold his position for rebounds, even if he isn't that tall and doesn't jump that well.

Very good news. Have a good feeling about Cordell-if the injuries have not deprived him of sufficient quickness and jumping ability to play. Strengths: great inside moves, seals off well, rebounds well and has a toughness that the team in general lacks. Weaknesses: no face up shot, poor free throw shooter and poor perimeter defender.

Very good news. Have a good feeling about Cordell-if the injuries have not deprived him of sufficient quickness and jumping ability to play. Strengths: great inside moves, seals off well, rebounds well and has a toughness that the team in general lacks. Weaknesses: no face up shot, poor free throw shooter and poor perimeter defender.
Agreed. I have high hopes because even when he was playing with pain, he looked quicker than he did the year before. I hope he is as pain-free as possible.

This is good news. Pemsl is not the most talented guy in the world, but when he's healthy and playing well, he has some sort of "it" factor going for him. Hope he's ready to go in 19.

OUtside shot? None, but pretty crafty around the bucket
FT's? Solid
Rebounding? Solid
Defense? At least some effort
Passing? High index for a forward
BBIQ? Pretty strong
Attitude: Great, Not Afraid of Anyone

It also means that Cordell and his trainers need not rush his rehab this spring & summer just to maximize a “senior” year.

Generally agree....I think he was working on his free throws and face up prior to last season....and showed a little improvement in the brief glimpses we got. Hopefully those steps we saw turn out to be good strides this year.

Reactions: keosauquahawk
Generally agree....I think he was working on his free throws and face up prior to last season....and showed a little improvement in the brief glimpses we got. Hopefully those steps we saw turn out to be good strides this year.

He could be a surprisingly high scorer if Cordell adds a 15' and in jump shot. Just open up the low post moves so much more if the defender has to honor the fake. Getting to 75% from the line would probably add a couple points a game to his ppg.

Reactions: perryhawk
I think a lot of people here are going to be disappointed this season judging by the comments on how good they are expecting Pemsl to be coming off of almost a whole lost season from injury/surgery.

He is an ok player. May even work out well this season at PF for us since we have two Cs that like to play away from the hoop on offense and he shouldn’t be more than 10 feet away from the basket unless he’s setting a pick. His bulk should help on defense too.

But he isn’t a great athlete. He isn’t a great shooter. He won’t be blocking shots or blazing down the court in transition. And he won’t be raining 3s. Of course the guy he’s replacing didn’t do a ton of any of those things either.

He’s crafty and he brings some tough guy attitude. Before Garza came along, Pemsl was our player with “old man game”. He will have a purpose. Rebound, get some garbage points, and make a few post moves a game. Hopully he’s in the 8 ppg, 6 rb/g range in around 20 minutes. That would be very helpful for us in replacing Cook. He did also show some signs of improvement in his one game last year, so hopefully that continues. But, I don’t expect him to play much more than 20 a game for fear of his body breaking down.

He’d be a great backup PF for us if he stays healthy. But with Cook leaving he’ll have to play more minutes than he probably should for a Big Ten school. Just don’t expect him to be playing 30 minutes with 15/10 per night.

Reactions: kzoohawk80
I am pleased for Cordell that he gets an extra year.
Just hope his health returns and he can help out on the court. He seems to love competition and is a leader type which could make him an important contributor next season.

I think a lot of people here are going to be disappointed this season judging by the comments on how good they are expecting Pemsl to be coming off of almost a whole lost season from injury/surgery.

He is an ok player. May even work out well this season at PF for us since we have two Cs that like to play away from the hoop on offense and he shouldn’t be more than 10 feet away from the basket unless he’s setting a pick. His bulk should help on defense too.

But he isn’t a great athlete. He isn’t a great shooter. He won’t be blocking shots or blazing down the court in transition. And he won’t be raining 3s. Of course the guy he’s replacing didn’t do a ton of any of those things either.

He’s crafty and he brings some tough guy attitude. Before Garza came along, Pemsl was our player with “old man game”. He will have a purpose. Rebound, get some garbage points, and make a few post moves a game. Hopully he’s in the 8 ppg, 6 rb/g range in around 20 minutes. That would be very helpful for us in replacing Cook. He did also show some signs of improvement in his one game last year, so hopefully that continues. But, I don’t expect him to play much more than 20 a game for fear of his body breaking down.

He’d be a great backup PF for us if he stays healthy. But with Cook leaving he’ll have to play more minutes than he probably should for a Big Ten school. Just don’t expect him to be playing 30 minutes with 15/10 per night.
Not sure where you read all these unrealistic expectations for him next year. About 95% of the comments on this thread simply express hope he can contribute 12-15 min of effort coming off the bench, and provide valuable leadership both on and off the court. Anything beyond that is gravy.

Reactions: DougFHawkeye

Prior to his injury, one of the big discussion topics here was Kriener vs Pemsl, and who should log more minutes. Not that their games have developed at the same rate, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect similar production to what Ryan gave the squad last year in a bench role.

We pretty much totally agree about Pemsl. I think Nunge has become a huge player for Iowa next year, along with JoeT. If Nunge has developed into the player I hope he will be, I would love to see him for 20 - 25 min/game and Cordell for most of the other minutes at 4 (maybe PMac for a few minutes in the right match ups).

OT in this thread, but if Joe T also shows he can play, I think it gives Fran a lot of flexibility in the back court, in addition to the obvious quickness. I think that would more than compensates for the loss of Moss, if there aren't injuries. A few pretty big IFs, but the possibility of a really good rotation is there.

Ryan gave us great backup minutes last year. Thought we really could've used Cordell in the same role. He won't fill the hole that Cook left, but Cordell does stuff that Cook didn't. Michigan State and Rutger's absolutely pushed us around with their big guys. Cordell would have given them a tougher fight.

A new concern I have is that if the 3PT line moves back which big can shoot if from that range with enough consistency to make teams come out and guard them.
Are they moving the 3pt line? I don't think it would impact Iowa's perimeter players much, but I am not sure about Luka or Nunge. Pemsl should never touch the ball outside 15 ft IMO.

Reactions: kceasthawk
A new concern I have is that if the 3PT line moves back which big can shoot if from that range with enough consistency to make teams come out and guard them.
Possibly a blessing in disguise. Three pointers shouldn’t be a central part of either Garza or Kriener’s game anyways. Why settle for a shot you hit at a 30% clip when you make your twos at a 60% clip? (Garza) Kriener is at a career 28% from three and 55% from two... Especially when there are other much more viable three point options in Wieskamp, Bohannon, and hopefully Fredrick. Guys like Nunge, Garza, and Kriener should focus on around the hoop and mid-range shots, and take the straight on, wide open threes teams will give them once or twice a game. Garza’s 2.3 3PA per game last year was too high imo. At 0.8 per game at a 33% rate, Kriener’s was just about right.

With the mid-range game that Iowa’s bigs have, they should have enough of a high-low game to spread the court regardless

Are they moving the 3pt line? I don't think it would impact Iowa's perimeter players much, but I am not sure about Luka or Nunge. Pemsl should never touch the ball outside 15 ft IMO.
There’s been talk of moving it back from the current 20’9” to the international 3 point distance of 22’1.75”

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
Possibly a blessing in disguise. Three pointers shouldn’t be a central part of either Garza or Kriener’s game anyways. Why settle for a shot you hit at a 30% clip when you make your twos at a 60% clip? (Garza) Kriener is at a career 28% from three and 55% from two... Especially when there are other much more viable three point options in Wieskamp, Bohannon, and hopefully Fredrick. Guys like Nunge, Garza, and Kriener should focus on around the hoop and mid-range shots, and take the straight on, wide open threes teams will give them once or twice a game. Garza’s 2.3 3PA per game last year was too high imo. At 0.8 per game at a 33% rate, Kriener’s was just about right.

With the mid-range game that Iowa’s bigs have, they should have enough of a high-low game to spread the court regardless

There’s been talk of moving it back from the current 20’9” to the international 3 point distance of 22’1.75”
I hope they do move the 3pt line back. I think it is always been a little too close in college. Not a big change, but it will help separate the real shooters, and it will help open up the interior, as defenses are forced to cover more area.

I hope they do move the 3pt line back. I think it is always been a little too close in college. Not a big change, but it will help separate the real shooters, and it will help open up the interior, as defenses are forced to cover more area.
Yep and you would have to think that it would especially help a team like Iowa, who has quite a few bigs that score well

Reactions: HoustonREDHawk
Yes, it moves the "go/no go" radius out further for mid range jumpers. A shot that comes from 2 feet or so inside the three line looks like a bad choice. Move that line back and now a 19' jumper seems a more reasonable option.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Pemsl is gonna get us a few wins this year. He is tough. We need one tough guy in the lineup. His one gutsy game last season was the highlight of the season.
Considering that was the only game in which he played any meaningful minutes, that says a lot. :)

In general shots between 17' and the 3-pt line should not be the shot that a team is trying to get. Usually, the metrics will tell you that very high percentage shots around the basket and rhythm three's by the right shooters should be the shots of choice. I think that will be especially true for Iowa next year with its personnel. There might be some situations where the right person taking a long two is the best shot that is going to be available, but that will be more the exception than the rule.

ADVERTISEMENT