ADVERTISEMENT

Cory Booker: Democratic Party is Racist because I’m not popular

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/05/us/politics/cory-booker-democrats-2020.html

Senator Cory Booker strode onstage here with a question, one that voters, activists and disgruntled members of the Democratic National Committee are also asking in the wake of Senator Kamala Harris’s sudden departure from the 2020 race.

In a year that began with the inauguration of the most diverse class of House Democrats, and quickly built to a barrier-breaking lineup of presidential candidates, do Democrats want an all-white slate of top-tier candidates to be the face of their party in 2020?

“What message is that sending that we heralded the most diverse field in our history and now we’re seeing people like her dropping out of this campaign?” Mr. Booker asked a crowd here Thursday morning. He added that Ms. Harris left the race “not because Iowa voters had the voice. Voters did not determine her destiny.”

With Ms. Harris out and Mr. Booker, the former housing secretary Julián Castro, Representative Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii and the businessman Andrew Yang yet to qualify for the December debate, and former Gov. Deval Patrick of Massachusetts too late an entry to have a real shot at that stage, the Democratic primary is facing a reckoning. In two weeks, Democrats will gather in Los Angeles for a debate that is likely to feature an entirely white roster. That is not, several candidates and prominent party members say, how the party that emphasizes diversity and fairness should want to represent itself.

Saw on the news that Castro was complaining about Iowa going first and how its hurting minority candidates (e.g. him). That sounds nice but he is also polling at like 1% nationally so should look for a different excuse.

Its easy to complain but were Booker and Harris doing any better with minority voters than white voters? It sounds like black voters have largely backed Biden.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/05/us/politics/cory-booker-democrats-2020.html

Senator Cory Booker strode onstage here with a question, one that voters, activists and disgruntled members of the Democratic National Committee are also asking in the wake of Senator Kamala Harris’s sudden departure from the 2020 race.

In a year that began with the inauguration of the most diverse class of House Democrats, and quickly built to a barrier-breaking lineup of presidential candidates, do Democrats want an all-white slate of top-tier candidates to be the face of their party in 2020?

“What message is that sending that we heralded the most diverse field in our history and now we’re seeing people like her dropping out of this campaign?” Mr. Booker asked a crowd here Thursday morning. He added that Ms. Harris left the race “not because Iowa voters had the voice. Voters did not determine her destiny.”

With Ms. Harris out and Mr. Booker, the former housing secretary Julián Castro, Representative Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii and the businessman Andrew Yang yet to qualify for the December debate, and former Gov. Deval Patrick of Massachusetts too late an entry to have a real shot at that stage, the Democratic primary is facing a reckoning. In two weeks, Democrats will gather in Los Angeles for a debate that is likely to feature an entirely white roster. That is not, several candidates and prominent party members say, how the party that emphasizes diversity and fairness should want to represent itself.
Heard Castro complain that we need to change the way we elect our president, when he's actually talking about how parties pick their nominee (which doesn't have to be democratic). Bernie didn't lose the last primary race because Hillary had it locked up with super delegates before any primaries.

I am not the first to point this out, but isn't the criticism of Iowa a little inappropriate? Didn't Obama and Clinton do well here?

Reactions: Tom Paris
I am not the first to point this out, but isn't the criticism of Iowa a little inappropriate? Didn't Obama and Clinton do well here?

I actually think the race thing is a valid criticism,... Iowa is not very diverse and think we like our black candidates to be kind of "white"...

It’s almost like he has amnesia covering the years 2008-2016. Obama took this mostly white state by storm. Neither Harris nor Booker are as gifted a politician as Obama was. Nowhere close.

Booker would be a fantastic VP IMO. Well spoken, energetic, and we know he can follow the company line as he showed supporting his big pharma donors.

I actually think the race thing is a valid criticism,... Iowa is not very diverse and think we like our black candidates to be kind of "white"...

I believe both our first and second black presidents both won Iowa.

You bet,. and that's the way Iowa likes them,... Al Sharpton doesn't fly here.

Hasn't Al been shown to be a bit of a cheat/crook? For the most part I think Iowan's respect people who they feel are honest, well meaning individuals...they are also suspicious of the blacks.

Yes, and they were both pretty "white",... the first one visually and the second one intellectually....

The more I think about this the more t puzzles me. How is one intellectually white vs. intellectually black?

What made Barack Obama ‘white’ in your eyes?

DemocratplaybookRACISM.jpg

The more I think about this the more t puzzles me. How is one intellectually white vs. intellectually black?

What made Barack Obama ‘white’ in your eyes?
pics of his mom nude and she was so white it was hard to see details in the black and white photos, against the white sheets on the bed.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
You mean the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy,.... to quote Biden's description? ;)

I really hate it when a presidential candidate purposefully makes themselves look weak like this.

You are running for a job where your job is to defend us from all threats both foreign and domestic. Looking weak doesn't defend us from threats it increases the amount of threats because it might convince those on the fence that they can get away with it.

So don't you dare go out there and whine about how it's not fair if you want my vote. You sound like a liberal version of Donald Trump. You might be 100% right that it isn't fair. It doesn't matter, general life isn't fair, why should anyone think a campaign for the highest political office of the most power country in the world would be?

The right way to drop out is to just say that looking at all the facts you don't see a plausible way of winning. And you can maybe throw in there that you feel your supporters and staff gave it their all and this failure is on your own short comings.

I want a leader who takes full responsibility even for what they failed at. Not one who defects blame to others, especially the voters, no matter how true it might be. Let your supporters argue that you lost because you where black. You go out there and just say that, you didn't get it done and you are sorry to your staff and supporters who invested their blood, sweat and tears into the campaign.

I would say be a man about it but I want to see those qualities and I don't care if the person displaying those qualities is a man or a woman.

I really hate it when a presidential candidate purposefully makes themselves look weak like this.

You are running for a job where your job is to defend us from all threats both foreign and domestic. Looking weak doesn't defend us from threats it increases the amount of threats because it might convince those on the fence that they can get away with it.

So don't you dare go out there and whine about how it's not fair if you want my vote. You sound like a liberal version of Donald Trump. You might be 100% right that it isn't fair.

The right way to drop out is to just say that looking at all the facts you don't see a plausible way of winning. And you can maybe throw in there that you feel your supporters and staff gave it their all and this failure is on your own short comings.

I want a leader who takes full responsibility even for what they failed at. Not one who defects blame to others, especially the voters, no matter how true it might be. Let your supporters argue that you lost because you where black. You go out there and just say that, you didn't get it done and you are sorry to your staff and supporters who invested their blood, sweat and tears into the campaign.

I would say be a man about it but I want to see those qualities and I don't care if the person displaying those qualities is a man or a woman.
We need more candidates like Dick Tuck, whose reaction to losing a congressional primary in California was the immortal: "The people have spoken....the bastards."

And before I get clobbered, I don't think we need more candidates like Dick Tuck in other respects.

And for those of you young pups, if you wonder who Dick Tuck is, google him.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Saw on the news that Castro was complaining about Iowa going first and how its hurting minority candidates (e.g. him). That sounds nice but he is also polling at like 1% nationally so should look for a different excuse.

Its easy to complain but were Booker and Harris doing any better with minority voters than white voters? It sounds like black voters have largely backed Biden.
As was posted earlier...nearly all white Iowa gave Obama legitimacy in 2008 when he won the caucus.

One of the things that makes me proud to be from Iowa.

Another interesting fact is Iowa had the highest casualty rate per capita for the Union.

In honor of Pearl Harbor Day tomorrow, we need more people like the late Japanese-American Senator Daniel Inouye, whose first thought at Pearl Harbor, when the bombing started was, "You goddamn Japs."

As was posted earlier...nearly all white Iowa gave Obama legitimacy in 2008 when he won the caucus.

One of the things that makes me proud to be from Iowa.

Another interesting fact is Iowa had the highest casualty rate per capita for the Union.
Obama was a disaster, Iowa should run from that.

We need more candidates like Dick Tuck, whose reaction to losing a congressional primary in California was the immortal: "The people have spoken....the bastards."

And before I get clobbered, I don't think we need more candidates like Dick Tuck in other respects.

And for those of you young pups, if you wonder who Dick Tuck is, google him.

With a name like Dick Tuck, and from the description you've provided, Google won't be necessary.

So don't you dare go out there and whine about how it's not fair if you want my vote. You sound like a liberal version of Donald Trump. You might be 100% right that it isn't fair. It doesn't matter, general life isn't fair, why should anyone think a campaign for the highest political office of the most power country in the world would be?

Excellent post.

The Democrats internal evaluation of race is very important. Harris and Bookers are new and charismatic leaders in the Democratic Party. They will be the future stars of our country.

The Democrats are the historic proud party of race. How the Democratic Party manages the overt racism within their own party will eventually be the template for infusion of equality into the entire country.

At this point only Tulsi and Warren are their colored candidates and really only Warren has a chance. I know some of my liberal friends are very excited about Warren. She could be our first indigenous President and our first female President.

Reactions: ottumwan in tx
Obama was a disaster, Iowa should run from that.
1. He wasn't a disaster
2. If you can't recognize that a 95% white state basically legitimizing the candidacy of our first black president wasn't a watershed moment in american history then I don't know what to tell you.

basically to me hills had that thing wrapped up then there was a Bilderberg meeting and the bilderbergs installed him. but that's just me.
1. He wasn't a disaster
2. If you can't recognize that a 95% white state basically legitimizing the candidacy of our first black president wasn't a watershed moment in american history then I don't know what to tell you.
well, basically how I figure it is hills had that thing all wrapped up, then there was a Bilderberg meeting, and the bilderbergs installed him. so iowa had nothing to do with it. but that's how the OiT world goes 'round. then much to my surprise, trump won iowa. never figured that would happen. actually that is bigger news than Obama or hills winning iowa. because to me iowa is very far left almost communist. I grew up with communist workers party people in Ottumwa all around me.

I have a friend from bufallo NY he knows iowa is communist... he still cannot get over hills losing iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT