ADVERTISEMENT

Cost for new roof

Fijimn

HR Legend
May 7, 2008
Had a guy over this morning and he quoted 4.25 a square. That seemed extremely high. Asphalt shingle roof. The pitch is pretty steep and was explained that was a reason the price was high. Is this in line with average price?

The roofer knows the OP is a rube, so he tacked on a little extra.
We replied our roof last Fall, I forget the square foot cost. We had to have a few bits of the underlying plywood replaced, and we. went with a higher cost, impact resistant shingle. As the climate warms, and the size of hail increases it's a small element of protection. Our insurance company gave us a small break when I produced the documentation on the new roof.

Had a guy over this morning and he quoted 4.25 a square. That seemed extremely high. Asphalt shingle roof. The pitch is pretty steep and was explained that was a reason the price was high. Is this in line with average price?
A square is 100 square feet. So I'm guessing you mean $425 a square, and yes that's pretty high, but that might be the going rate for your roof type. Just get more estimates and check for references. Go with the most trusted, not the cheapest.

Reactions: tumorboy and Fijimn
Hopefully you're getting a couple more estimates. From recommended roofing companies. If you used a realtor to buy the house, see who they use.

Reactions: noleclone2
about tree fiddy
Remarkably, that cliche actually works here. 425 is a lot. I haven't done a roof in the few years but going rates were in the middle three's roofs that weren't walkable. Which also usually means older home that generally has atleast one extra layer.

If you're concerned about cost look at metal. I personally hate it because I don't want my house to look like a shed, but it lasts forever and is dirt cheap by comparison. Find some Amish around you for that. In this area that's their niche.

A square is 100 square feet. So I'm guessing you mean $425 a square, and yes that's pretty high, but that might be the going rate for your roof type. Just get more estimates and check for references. Go with the most trusted, not the cheapest.

Ok. The roofer said 4 and a quarter per square. I assume it was on 1x1. But the math is the same

Reactions: Gimmered
I'm getting new siding, trim, back door, garage door, and a roof for $2100. Thanks hail.

Same storm also gave me $4000 and let me keep my jeep.

CSB

Have the gays send a storm your way, it is one of their powers.

Reactions: Kakaw83 and JMNSHO
I'm getting new siding, trim, back door, garage door, and a roof for $2100. Thanks hail.

CSB

I live in Houston, been through one direct hurricane and countless gulf storms and the mutha-fed isn’t storm damaged. It’s insane

Reactions: Moral

CSB

I have new car replacement on both my vehicles, I'm up $10,000 if my Cherokee get totaled. Bring it on.

Where are you?

Remarkably, that cliche actually works here. 425 is a lot. I haven't done a roof in the few years but going rates were in the middle three's roofs that weren't walkable. Which also usually means older home that generally has atleast one extra layer.

If you're concerned about cost look at metal. I personally hate it because I don't want my house to look like a shed, but it lasts forever and is dirt cheap by comparison. Find some Amish around you for that. In this area that's their niche.
You can get metal in a color that can make the house look very nice and lasts a lifetime

Don't know about prices there, but in south ga. Shingles are about a third more for the material. Also labor is more because a sheet of metal covers 3' x however long vs 6" x 3 ( exposure of the shingle) if that makes sense.
For instance, my roof priced out at 8900 for shingles vs 6200 for 26 gauge ribbed panel.
It doesn't last forever, but at least twice as long as shingles.

My friends Golf GTI was over and he didnt make good insurance choices. His will probably get totalled and he will owe 10k to the bank.
Gap coverage would have been his friend. My Silverado got totaled by my Insurance company at about 60% damage. They wanted me to take a lesser amount and keep the truck. I told them I paid 100% of my policy, they would pay me 100% of the truck. After that, I knew to take no chances and put new car replacement when I bought the Cherokee. I just bought a new Ram and did the same on it. The Cherokee will be covered for 1 more year.

I live in Houston, been through one direct hurricane and countless gulf storms and the mutha-fed isn’t storm damaged. It’s insane
Fiji, if you have the typical Texas house with that steep pitch, and you are going with a decent weight shingle that's known as a 40 or 50 year roof, it won't be inexpensive. I know in the Dallas area, if you're in an HOA many will require a minimum 30 year, and no overlays of new shingles on the old ones. The labor and disposal all factor into the cost. You and I know that roofs in TX don't last that long!
Just make sure you use a really reputable company, with references, current liability and workmen's comp. And - lots of people don't know about this, but make sure your roofer has paid their supplier. Ask to see the receipt and make sure it's for the materials used on your house.
In many states, unpaid suppliers can legally file a lien on your home if your roofer hasn't paid them .
(I know you're an attorney but stuff happens). Good luck!

Reactions: LuteHawk and Fijimn
You can get metal in a color that can make the house look very nice and lasts a lifetime
MIGHT last a lifetime. Don’t get me wrong, much more longevity than shingle, but the lifetime claims are misleading at best imo.

Here in the Midwest there are many
scammers in the roofing business.
Everything that goldmom said about
doing business in Texas applies to
every state.

When you are considering various bids,
make certain that you talk with people
who have used a particular company.
References are a big part of sealing the
deal.

You should consider the class four impact resistance. Personal experience is they do hold up to good large hail, while all your neighbors have to deal with the jungle of a hail insurance claim, you can sit back and take a load off. Insurance companies will take 20-30% off your premium with them and the labor cost is the same.

Well, the steepness of the roof can be a factor that increases the cost. It requires more safety precautions and can be more challenging to work on.

Well, the steepness of the roof can be a factor that increases the cost. It requires more safety precautions and can be more challenging to work on.

There are many challenges and extra costs that come from working on steep roofs. Many roofing companies will deploy steep roof grapple hooks to protect roofers as well as people that may be walking around houses. The cost of steep roof jobs is also increased by the deployment of moon bounces around the outside of the houses to soften the landing on frequent roofer falls.

Like a month later, the derecho demolished a ton of roofs. I think the OP is a Nole in Houston but GD 2020 really sucked

Well, the steepness of the roof can be a factor that increases the cost. It requires more safety precautions and can be more challenging to work on. That being said, the cost of 4.25 dollars per square foot for an asphalt shingle roof installation does seem higher than the average price. To ensure that you are getting a fair price for your roofing project, it's always a good idea to obtain quotes from multiple contractors. You should contact only licensed and insured companies, such as Indianapolis roof company. Besides, ensure that they provide a detailed written estimate that outlines all the costs and services included in the project.

Well, the steepness of the roof can be a factor that increases the cost. It requires more safety precautions and can be more challenging to work on. That being said, the cost of 4.25 dollars per square foot for an asphalt shingle roof installation does seem higher than the average price. To ensure that you are getting a fair price for your roofing project, it's always a good idea to obtain quotes from multiple contractors. You should contact only licensed and insured companies, such as Indianapolis roof company. Besides, ensure that they provide a detailed written estimate that outlines all the costs and services included in the project.

Has HORT been a test system for ChatGPT and we didn't even know it?

Has HORT been a test system for ChatGPT and we didn't even know it?

As an AI language model, I do not have the ability to post on any website on my own. I can only generate responses based on the input provided to me. Therefore, if someone is using me to generate content and post on Hawkeye Report or Go Iowa Awesome!, it would be their action and not mine. However, I cannot confirm or deny whether such actions are taking place

There are many challenges and extra costs that come from working on steep roofs. Many roofing companies will deploy steep roof grapple hooks to protect roofers as well as people that may be walking around houses. The cost of steep roof jobs is also increased by the deployment of moon bounces around the outside of the houses to soften the landing on frequent roofer falls.
Doing OP's roof

giphy.gif

• Love
We got the dreaded letter from our insurance company saying our coverage will be canceled if we don't reroof the house. Two story house, 5/12 pitch and 36 squares. The prices we're getting are around $500 per square.

We got the dreaded letter from our insurance company saying our coverage will be canceled if we don't reroof the house. Two story house, 5/12 pitch and 36 squares. The prices we're getting are around $500 per square.

I hope a wind storm or hail storm hit my house before I get a letter like that.

I hope a wind storm or hail storm hit my house before I get a letter like that.
I had an estimator tell me a few years ago that he was sure he could get our insurance company to pay for a new roof. We hadn't had any storms or storm damage so I declined his offer. Just wasn't right. Unfortunately, my thought process was in the minority which is a huge contributor to our state's skyrocketing home owner insurance rates.

Interesting,.. Your roof is so bad that your insurance company is telling you to replace it?,.. Why would you not have simply done this on your own, without prompting?,.. weird.

Reactions: Twoooooooo
Interesting,.. Your roof is so bad that your insurance company is telling you to replace it?,.. Why would you not have simply done this on your own, without prompting?,.. weird.
Because to most people the roof is in fine/ok condition. The Insurance company prob didn't even have anyone look at it, and just saw it's near the end of its lifespan and coming into a period where it becomes more and more likely to fail.

ADVERTISEMENT